Sign in to follow this  
Pnubs

Geometry and Roadway Lod Help

I'm making a simple platform you can walk on and I'm having difficulties with the Geometry/Roadway Lods. I've gotten the model in game and I can land on it and walk around for the most part but there are some instances in which my character simply falls through the model. I don't understand what's going on and I've tried consulting multiple tutorials and forum posts but I can't find anything. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Here's the link to the p3d file: http://www.2shared.com/file/BN5HpWzd/Platform.html?

P.S. I'm a noob!

OK just quickly looking at this.

1 - You're model is too big. There is a 50x50m limit for objects in the ArmA game engine. Depending on the model this can be sometime 64x64m but its better to go smaller if you can.

2 - Make sure the surface for your roadway is one fully connected (at least when its on the same level) object. Past experience has taught me that AI sometimes get trapped or fall through even the smallest seam.

3 - Lift the Roadway surface slightly above your geometry ~20mm seems to work for me. This will prevent any sliding or trapped AI.

4 - In your geometry LoD use Structure > Convexity > Component Convex Hull. Make sure you don't have any extra/un needed components. THEN, Structure > Topology > Find Non-Closed. This will find any open objects. An open object will not work properly in the Geo LoD and screws with collision detection.

I'm about to crash out for the night. Try reducing your model size and and ill check back tomorrow.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. Got it working! I reduced the size of it and to make it simpler, it's just a box shape now. I understand everything about the non-closed components but what is this about the component convex hull? I know the shapes need to closed, convex, and have weight, so does that button make sure they are? Also I've read that you should make your Geometry LOD bigger than the original. That doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the advice.

Whats your problem now?

If you ever want a job in Sky TV customer support you probably wont ever need training. You've got the greeting down pat. :P

...but what is this about the component convex hull? I know the shapes need to closed, convex, and have weight, so does that button make sure they are?

Component Convex Hull make sure that the shape is not too complex for it to work. eg if you make a "U" shape. Once you press the button it will change it to a single closed block.

But if you make that shape up form several smaller cubes it will do nothing visible, just verify that each component is closed and of a regular primitive shape to make collision detection easier.

Basically the less complex you make your geo and fire lods that more efficiently the object will work in game.

...Also I've read that you should make your Geometry LOD bigger than the original. That doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the advice.

It depends how thick the res lod is. If you are making fences then making geo lod 0.01m thick is pointless. But as a rule I'd say keep it the same size where possible. This means you won't get stuck on nay invisible walls or snags etc. Past experience has taught me never to make a geo LoD component less than 0.25m thick. Any thinner and collision detection maybe a bit patchy.

Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure if I should start a new thread but I'm having problems getting ladders to work. I have ladder in the 0.000 LOD and two vertices in the memory LOD labelled "start1" and "end1". In my config they are referenced as such: ladders[] = {{"start1","end1"}}; In game I can't seem to pull up the action to climb them. I've sifted through other people's post but haven't found the solution. Any ideas?

Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure if I should start a new thread but I'm having problems getting ladders to work. I have ladder in the 0.000 LOD and two vertices in the memory LOD labelled "start1" and "end1". In my config they are referenced as such: ladders[] = {{"start1","end1"}}; In game I can't seem to pull up the action to climb them. I've sifted through other people's post but haven't found the solution. Any ideas?

Ladders only work on "class house". Check your config inherits from the right class.