Sign in to follow this  
Richards.D

Issue with vests

Hello ladies/gentlemen:

I want to build some vests for A3, but unfortunately I am having ALOT of issues. The first one is my selections. In the model you need to define selections such as Right Arm, etc. This is easy, but my selections are wrong. The selections on the demo model are highlighted blue, which means they bend with the model, where my selections completely detach, making it an utter mess. I have no idea what the BI selections used on the vest are called, any help? I've mostly only worked on Vehicles/Buildings in the past.

Richards

Assuming this is Oxygen you're using, highlighted blue actually means they're weighted - essentially weighting tells a vertex that it should move X% with one selection, and Y% with the neighbouring one, thus a smooth animation.

Ahh! And yes, to clarify it IS Oxygen 2. So I just use the weight tool?

Technically, yes - but I can't really say much more than that - my brief attempt to apply weights to something as simple as a suspension linkage resulted in a frustrating experience. The BIKI says that it's best done in an external animation program (no surprise there), and I'm not sure how extensive the O2 controls are - I was weighting it manually by rightclicking the selections and apply weights in there (then again, it wasn't much more than two selections to weight, and just a simple ration of 75-25 and I still managed to screw it up)

So.. essentially:

The current mod tools do not support this type of animation? If so, do you know of any program that currently does?

So.. essentially:

The current mod tools do not support this type of animation? If so, do you know of any program that currently does?

Oh it does...it's just really frustrating to deal with. Even my own efforts ended in my giving up. STALKERGB has a good tutorial on these forums for it...perhaps you can understand better than I can. Either way, I'd recommend reading it.

Abs

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edited by Abs
Ninja'd.

well, they do support it as far as I'm aware, I just couldn't get my head around it - plenty have gone before us who have created units using just O2 with proper weighted selections, so it stands to reason that its perfectly possible, but the BIKI states that it's advisable to use another program.

Maya springs to mind?

Right.. Two things.

I only have 3ds Max, does that have any capability for such?

Secondly, got a link to that tutorial?

Messedge!, yes its spam.. sorry i have to paste two messedge in order to make a new thread. I know its silly but i have no other options. Sorry dont ban me pls