Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

North Korea General

Yeah, while that was their primary weapons, they were losing badly. It's when they got MANPADs, AA cannons, training, radios, etc. that they managed.

Spook: "Potent threat"? They're barely managing their survival, and if it hadn't been for the withdrawal, they would have been doomed. Just look at Marjah. They're not like the Mujahedeen that tossed the Soviets out in the '80s.

Batto: Nope, IEDs. And thanks to Pakistan and Iran, they have gotten their hands on more advanced components for them. Still, the MRAPs manage quite well.

Sure, but what I wanted to say is that those 7.62mm weapons, especially with scopes, are still a threat especially in a guerilla warfare. Of course they used other weapons aswell like you mentioned and explosives "IED" to destroy russian convoys. By the way I remember a report about the US military using the M14 7.62 again in Afghanistan in certain situations. :D Sry for going off topic.

Edited by oxmox

I'd like to hear the last time an infantry platoon was overcome by peasants with obsolete weapons.

Even the insurgents think you're wrong.

Yeah, I also recall the Mujahadeen getting slaughtered by Soviet helicopters, until...

How about my backyard, Northern Ireland.

How about the SEAL team killed on a chinook by a RPG, a weapon many consider obsolete.

How about the British patrol/MP's killed by Iraqi's, some not even armed.

Sure, but what I wanted to say is that those 7.62mm weapons, especially with scopes, are still a threat especially in a guerilla warfare. Of course they used other weapons aswell like you mentioned and explosives "IED" to destroy russian convoys. By the way I remember a report about the US military using the M14 7.62 again in Afghanistan in certain situations. :D Sry for going off topic.

Well, I don't think anyone's said that the 7.62mm caliber is obsolete. And to be fair, the M14 has been around as a DMR without interruption since Vietnam IIRC.

Well as while I was sleeping they set their missiles on high alert and now there's Anti America protests in north Korea while they scream "Death to the U.S"... The situation is... Explosive...

Nobody considers RPGs obsolete. If you had any military experience you'd know that. But since you don't know the difference between an IED and a mine, I wouldn't expect you to know much.

There hasn't been a single infantry platoon that has just been overrun and wiped out in Iraq or Afghanistan. The political fallout of a military defeat like that would be immense. 30-40 Coalition servicemembers killed/wounded/captured in one day? Please.

Remember what happened when an entire city tried to overrun a group of barely 100 highly-trained US servicemembers in Mogadishu? Thousands of militia were killed, as opposed to 17 Americans. An insurgency cannot accept a casualty ratio of 100 to 1. They can barely handle 1 to 1.

A conventional military force is almost impossible to be overrun by insurgents due to superiority of discipline, tactics, firepower, and air superiority.

Nobody considers RPGs obsolete. If you had any military experience you'd know that. But since you don't know the difference between an IED and a mine, I wouldn't expect you to know much.

There hasn't been a single infantry platoon that has just been overrun and wiped out in Iraq or Afghanistan. The political fallout of a military defeat like that would be immense. 30-40 Coalition servicemembers killed/wounded/captured in one day? Please.

Remember what happened when an entire city tried to overrun a group of barely 100 highly-trained US servicemembers in Mogadishu? Thousands of militia were killed, as opposed to 17 Americans. An insurgency cannot accept a casualty ratio of 100 to 1. They can barely handle 1 to 1.

A conventional military force is almost impossible to be overrun by insurgents due to superiority of discipline, tactics, firepower, and air superiority.

Wow.. I don't know the difference between a mine and an IED...just..wow.

Brits, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/nov/18/iraq.military

and the SEALs, http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/seals_struck_down_YzZb5FNZ7jZjHlB9fmY1bP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy#Operation_Red_Wings

"A conventional military force is almost impossible to be overrun by insurgents due to superiority of discipline, tactics, firepower, and air superiority."

It's thinking like that that can get you killed. If you had any military experience you'd know that. :rolleyes: Your beloved rangers or even regular forces are thought never to underestimate an enemy and overestimate yourself.

Crying out loud, somebody pick up the phone and tell the Chinese they won't get their debts reimbursed unless they cut of all supplies to NK and start starving them all to death already.

North Korea orders rockets on standby to hit US bases - state media: http://rt.com/news/north-korea-rockets-us-bases-021/

Not sure if trolling...

Also sky is running it:

http://news.sky.com/story/1071264/north-korea-rockets-ready-to-hit-us-bases

And there was me thinking the Harlem Globe Trotters were helping to resolve the situation:

CjAO6G9QIQU

Maybe if they resolve it over a game of basketball?

cut of all supplies to NK and start starving them all to death already.

And your speaking for all the population too? nice chap.

On the way to the rocky road to WW3 with conscription, bear in mind all this oh so convenient mass unemployed youth playing xbox games will be very handy later.

Edited by mrcash2009

Think that if (big IF!) North Korean leadership/military going to attack South Korea it will be more of an conventional warfare than an asymetrical. Btw one of the largest holders of US debt/Treasury securities is China - just something over $1 trillion. Of course for simple minded (like those *insertcountry here* strong!!! guys) its easy to paint the world just white and black and don't even try to look behind the curtains....

Uh yeah, games totally turns people into good soldier material...

And quite frankly, the NK population is already starving. Cutting of the remaining supplies would put more pressure on the regime, because it'd finally affect them, and the population would start revolting once they realise the regime can't even provide themselves with food any longer. It'll be like 1917 in Russia, but without a communist regime when it's over.

A helicopter crash is one thing. That's not being overwhelmed by an enemy force. And nobody ever said that RPGs are obsolete. If they were, we wouldn't put RPG cages on our vehicles.

If British MPs are anything like American MPs, they don't know how to handle themselves in a firefight anywhere near to the level of infantry. They only carried 50 rounds each? That's pathetic. 150 rounds each is pretty weak, too.

A four-man team of SEALs is not a platoon. And I'm willing to bet that those four SEALs still killed a large amount of insurgents before they perished.

Part of the discipline I mentioned includes not underestimating the enemy. Even when he has been underestimated, the enemy has tried to and failed to overrun professional combat forces, suffering horrific losses. (COP Keating, and that battle that the Soviets made that movie 9th Company about...) While losing 8-18 guys is pretty rough for a modern military in one fight, losing 100-150 insurgents just to kill 8-18 guys obviously shows that modern forces cannot be overwhelmed.

I'm still waiting for you to show me where Coalition forces have been overwhelmed in a firefight recently. Guerillas cannot win in a straight-up firefight. The only way they win a large war is when they grow large enough and have enough of a national army defect to the rebels, and then it's conventional on conventional warfare.

Think that if (big IF!) North Korean leadership/military going to attack South Korea it will be more of an conventional warfare than an asymetrical. Btw one of the largest holders of US debt/Treasury securities is China - just something over $1 trillion. Of course for simple minded (like those *insertcountry here* strong!!! guys) its easy to paint the world just white and black and don't even try to look behind the curtains....

The Chinese don't hold anywhere near the majority of American debt. And what do you think Chinese leadership would choose-war with the West for the sake of North Korea, or maintaining their own economic relationships with the United States?

Search a little more and don't trust all too much on Hollywood, patriotic speeches and those military "experts" from the US media. Just do a search and have a look at who is the biggest foreign US debt holder: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt North Korea is imo just sabber-rattling like years and decades before. The question is still how to get North Korean people to fight their system? It's not that they can do all + demonstrate freely or even fight against their leadership that easily.... If one cut's the supplies fully out - those in power will be able to survive the time of the food blockade better than those who are already starving or lacking any support.

Regarding the British MPs I believe you're talking about: They were killed by an uncivilised mob because they'd been sent out completely unarmed IIRC. They can hardly be blamed for the fuck ups of others above them in the chain of command.

I would think that the people at the top are smart enough to know that while their people may think them immortal, they know full well they aren't.

Biggest foreign debt holder...and they barely own 10% of the debt. I'm sure we're shaking in our boots.

True about the MPs being screwed by their chain of command, that happened at COP Keating, too. But I've never heard of a chain of command in my experience in the American or British military that I've worked with who would ever ignore a request to a military patrol for extra small arms ammo. Again, MPs aren't anywhere near the level of infantry in the American Army-but they like to pretend that they are. I've never seen a British MP leave the wire. They're good at what they're supposed to do-documenting investigations and such, and they're certainly more courteous as FOB police than American MPs. But I wouldn't trust an MP any more than a cook or a clerk as an infantryman.

My thought is that we shouldn't be afraid by their WW2 weaponry but by their nuclear technology they are selling abroad.

My thought is that we shouldn't be afraid by their WW2 weaponry but by their nuclear technology they are selling abroad.

Especially to the one named Khan...

Oh noes, they can get satellite TV!

What happens to the NK people in labor camps in Russia? Do they go free or get sent home?

Go free? That's a joke, right?

Now when you say overrun do you mean killed outright or forced to retreat? Either way, let's go back on topic :)

Call up G Lucas and tell him to pull a Clone army out of his fat arse hehhehee seriously, tactical airstrikes on known silos, followed by airstrikes on airports/defences, then CAS for the ground units there. followed by unfortunatly a multiyear guerrila mountain warfare campaign... assuming a carrier battle group or 2 heads there while Kim Jong"lildick"Un is still toying with the idea of war for CAS. Oh, and hope to god my armchair general instincts are somewhat in line wioth the minds of actually military vets/ servicemen.... or god help us alll thank yall for saving my military reject arse :D