Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

North Korea General

Sounds like a good scenario for ArmA 4 :P

I'm not going to lie... I was thinking the exact same thing today, all day. Everyone's screaming about wanting world war 1/2 or Cold War or Vietnam conflicts. Then it hit me... No one has ever done a Korean conflict game. However, the problem with that is, that war never ended... Yet. So to make a game based on it could be, both interesting, but also a bad thing, given it could give ideas to them. And trust me, they pay attention to anything in the internet regarding the DPRK.

North Korea is bound to fall, their country is fake, improvised, corrupt. I believe it's only a matter of time before the breaking point.

• Like 1

North Korea is bound to fall, their country is fake, improvised, corrupt. I believe it's only a matter of time before the breaking point.

No one wants war. But of course, they are technically still at war. This the situation is unavoidable. They have already passed that key point to where it could be just months, or even weeks until the DPRK snaps. China has also supported U.S. And South Korean sanctions at the UN in response to the North's provocation. Seeing as the North also just killed one of their top commanders, and they cut off a major highway, used military to seize the Kaesong plant, and cut two of the most crucial hotlines between North and South... I don't think there is any going back at this point. It's sad. No one really understands how horrible this war, if it kicks off again, will be... And no one wants this war, more than Kim Jong Un himself. Another freifhtening thought is that that new missile proved the DPRK can reach all of the U.S. The fact they also restarted a recently expanded nuclear reactor to get more supply to make another nuke, would likely mean they're pushing for a last ditch effort to get one more warhead that can be used against the U.S. I don't think they even care about hitting South Korea at this point. Their probably too angry at China and the U.S., but sadly, it is their fault.

But all that is true since 1948. So it's far from being close to collapse IMHO.

What blows my mind though, is how China and Russia could get upset over the deployment of THAAD, which is a strict defensive measure, rather than offensive.

One of the reasons is maybe this:

"THAAD is capable of intercepting medium and intermediate ballistic missiles within a 2,000-kilometer range before shooting them down in their terminal phase.

Both China and Russia have claimed that THAAD's long-range radar could be used to spy on their military activities as part of Washington's efforts to maintain dominance in East Asia.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/02/180_193171.html

Some sources indicate that the radar has a detection range of 600-900km in terminal mode and 1,800-2,000km in forward-based mode, but the US army manual only says that the range in forward-based mode is greater than 1,000km. According to analytical findings that two American missile defense experts recently provided to the Hankyoreh, if the THAAD radar were deployed on the Korean Peninsula, it could detect and track ICBMs launched from China with a maximum range of 3,000km.

http://olympic.hani.com/arti/english_edition/e_international/694082.html 

@The shortest beeline from the South Korean boarder to the boarder of China, crossing North Korea, is around 300km only.

Oh, that's where my thread went. Well, why is this thread called North Korea if it's about Korea in general, and not just the DPRK? (Yes, it's important)

In other news, China has recently stated that the U.S. Should end the Armistice that it signed at a UN assembly, which has long kept the situation between North and South in limbo. While at first it appears to be an ok idea, one of the reasons this may not work is the long conceived hate displayed by the DPRK leadership. China thinks ending the war between countries officially would make the nuclear situation evaporate. However the tensions between North and South Korea would remain, as the reason this mess is still around is due to the DPRK kicking off the war first in an attempt to swiftly unite Korea under communist rule. Thus, it's also very unlikely that the DPRK would suddenly give up the dream of uniting the Korea's, and could possibly rather remain in its current state.

The shutdown was just the start, Park said Tuesday. “From now on, the government will start taking stronger and more effective measures to push North Korea to make changes by creating an environment in which the North will realize that nuclear development is not a way to ensure their survival but a way to ensure the quick collapse of the regime,†she said.

Park’s tough words, including the mention of the North’s collapse, took many analysts by surprise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/south-koreas-park-vows-all-out-effort-to-punish-north-for-provocations/2016/02/15/f4c6aece-4d3f-4378-b9c0-eccef80c1966_story.html

It appears South Korea has had enough, and is willing to take its own steps to begin dealing with North Korea on its own terms. My biggest gripe on this matter is that South Korea should ensure that they don't end up attacking the North first, as it would easily cause international communities to view South Korea as the aggressor, despite North Korea and China having pushed a South Korea into a position where they felt they had no choice but to ensure the survival of Souel and everything around it.

Kim Jong-un looks like the ant in the desert saying to elephant "look at the dust that we are rising behind us".