Sign in to follow this  
SteelSampson

No jumping, but change vault to vaulting when running.

What do you think?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yes! allow real vaulting over obstacles when running/sprinting
    • No! allow slowly stepping over things only.
    • Allow jumping in every form... esp bunny hopping and dolphin diving!

First, let me say... I love many of the animation improvements already made! Awesome Job BI!

I think the "Vault" action is incorrectly named. It should be "stepping over". I can believe a soldier stepping over an obstacle when they are walking, but they would never slam into an abrupt halt and slowly step over the obstacle. Please change the vaulting animation to include a vaulting action when running.

Please do not misunderstand me... in no way do I think there should be gratuitous bunny hopping! or even pointless jumping. I do believe there should be an animation for real vaulting over obstacles that are a reasonable height while running/sprinting.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Everyone! Plz explain why you voted the way you did! Thanks!

To be frank i'm dubious just how much run-vaulting a soldier can do in full combat gear, but I'm no expert so I'll leave that to others to comment. However I will say I see no gameplay need for any sort of run+jump mechanic, climbing over chest high obstacles yes, jumping not so much.

(Voted no)

How about in order to do the running vault, the weapon must be lowered? This way the character has a free hand to put onto the obstacle and use whilst vaulting it. Ofcourse only when running, to allow the momentum to carry them over the obstacle. It would be great for getting over them mid-sized obstacles. If there is no obstacle near the player the function could not work, to avoid people exploiting this or killing the realism/immersion on an open field say.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has tried climbing rocks on Stratis, but I'd also like to see some sort of step up option implemented, even if it only worked on rocky areas. Perhaps similar to above but when stood still or walking. So again, you'd need a hand free (weapon lowered) and then you could step up onto the obstacle (providing it is no higher than waist height).

EDIT: I voted yes to running vaults but only if it was something like my suggestion above. I don't want Parkour in combat gear to be implemented.

How about in order to do the running vault, the weapon must be lowered?

I'd suggest that if we must have running vault (don't see the need but w/e) then it should be dependant on the weight of gear being carried. I don't want to see an engineer with 4 satchel charges doing anything more energetic than passing out from the weight, never mind leaping over obstacles at a sprint... remember this is a simulation.

I used Shacktac Bunnyhop for awhile and enjoyed having that ability. Standing still did the step over and pushing V while sprinting did a running hop over a object- however there is the issue of loadouts and weight that you all have mentioned. But for me allowing someone with a heavy load out to do a vault isn't too big of a deal - I'm sure that someone's adrenaline would assist them in overcoming any weight if they were getting shot at anyway.

Perhaps just draining stamina would help keep that under control. A rifleman could sprint, vault, and continue sprinting a short distance where as a demolitions expert would be able to just sprint and vault. Mind too this is just a vault over say... a small fence I'm talking about.

They have a running vault all set up, but it's not ready for full use just yet. They have the animation in the game already, but no way to use it.

They have a running vault all set up, but it's not ready for full use just yet. They have the animation in the game already, but no way to use it.

Well, if this is the case then shut me up! :)

We have a thread about this already here, no need to create yet another one just to add a poll to it.

Please use the linked thread for all discussion about this.