Sign in to follow this  
the_player

No animation on changing firing modes. Bug or feature?

When I want to quickly change firemodes in the haste of cqc, the last thing I want is to wait for an animation to tell me I selected the next firemode. Server lag could make said animation last longer then usual in some cases. No to animation yes to sound (bit like ACE has) and yes to adding a third function of safety, say shift + f or the default key ACE uses.

Viper raises a good point that I hadn't thought of. The animation would probably be less than a second, but I didn't think of how server lag could mess with you.

Changing my vote to sound, which should be easy and provides aural feedback so you don't have to look at your HUD. The more I think about it the more I miss that feedback when playing.

I also want to my weapon to be persistent between missions, so I can clean it before and after. BIS, please simulate carbon build up and have my hands get dirty when the armory gives me a weapon that hasn't been cleaned in months after repeated firing.
I'm going to hope that this was sarcastic, that's the only way that this statement makes sense.

;2340391']When I want to quickly change firemodes in the haste of cqc' date=' the last thing I want is to wait for an animation to tell me I selected the next firemode. Server lag could make said animation last longer then usual in some cases. No to animation yes to sound (bit like ACE has) and yes to adding a third function of safety, say shift + f or the default key ACE uses.[/quote']

yeah and lets make weapon switching and other actions instantaneous so we can quickscope without animation lag interference.

it's obvious most people here just want to run around pvp and insta-win.

Viper raises a good point that I hadn't thought of. The animation would probably be less than a second, but I didn't think of how server lag could mess with you.

Changing my vote to sound, which should be easy and provides aural feedback so you don't have to look at your HUD. The more I think about it the more I miss that feedback when playing.

have convinced me. sound+1

Removed.

Edited by Fuse
Not relevant.

I think it is unnecessary like +1 round left in chamber (but you can't fire when no magazine attached HA! --only one game which I think it simulated this +1 round properly is Wolfire's Receiver).

It may be looked immersed, but useless in gameplay (especially when you encountered by AI).

yeah and lets make weapon switching and other actions instantaneous so we can quickscope without animation lag interference.

it's obvious most people here just want to run around pvp and insta-win.

Derp.

Stupid statement is stupid, Nobody referenced any other animation times, nobody mentioned scopes... only you. And FYI I've never played ArmA in PvP and never well.

Edit:

Actually what you said was just full on flame-bait... shame on you.

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

Bring the sound and i will be happy. The manpower must go to more important things, like AI, bug fixes.....

Yeah, no need for animation.

Having to wait for the fire mode selecting animation to finish isn't realistic in the first place, since ArmA3 still treats UBGL as a fire mode.

When you want to fire UBGL, you don't cycle through all fire modes before that. That's pretty ridiculous.

;2341593']Derp.

Stupid statement is stupid' date=' Nobody referenced any other animation times, nobody mentioned scopes... only you. And FYI I've never played ArmA in PvP and never well.

Edit:

Actually what you said was just full on flame-bait... shame on you.[/quote']

Don't feel bad. I actually replied as well before realizing "Reply" was not the button I needed to press. :)

I agree that an animation would be overkill.

On the other hand - I want a feedback on the weapon that tells me which firemode I am in.

If on the other hand the firemode indicator will allways and in every mode be visble - then I am fine with as it is.

Best regards

This really doesn't need to be animated at all. All it is would be your thumb hitting the fire selecting switch. Big woop it doesn't change the immersion factor what so ever and I would prefer it stay the way it is so you can instantly switch between firing modes on the fly and instead of having to go through an animation each time.

In fact, it would even kill the immersion factor (even without taking UBGL into consideration).

The player MUST move his finger a bit (or head or foot, which doesn't matter) to press the fire mode bind, and that takes roughly the same time as real shooters changing the fire mode.

If you'd have to wait for the animation to finish after that, it takes twice as long as RL to change fire modes. Totally immersive, right?

In fact, it would even kill the immersion factor (even without taking UBGL into consideration).

The player MUST move his finger a bit (or head or foot, which doesn't matter) to press the fire mode bind, and that takes roughly the same time as real shooters changing the fire mode.

If you'd have to wait for the animation to finish after that, it takes twice as long as RL to change fire modes. Totally immersive, right?

My fire select button sits directly under my thumb. Pressing down on a button really doesn't take long. ;)

Even Planetside 2 weapons have animation for this, I don't see a single reason for A3 not to have it. And yes, Arma community is too hostile. I had no idea how sarcastic and snobbish people are on this forum.

Even Planetside 2 weapons have animation for this, I don't see a single reason for A3 not to have it. And yes, Arma community is too hostile. I had no idea how sarcastic and snobbish people are on this forum.

Not sure why you say "even" Planetside 2. PS2 is a brand-spankin-new (read: should still be in beta) AAA shooter, it was built from the ground up on an entirely new engine, the guns aren't modeled with the same detail (they look fine, but they're sci-fi guns, not real guns), and what you see in 1st person is not what you see in 3rd.

It may be thanks to having Jimmy Whisenhunt join as a consultant, but feedback is one of the few things PS2 seems to have really spent some time on (as opposed to the rest of the game, where I swear design meetings consisted purely of "this should be cool, right?!"). I pretty much never have to look at any HUD element except my mini-map. Low ammo, incoming damage, etc; it all provides good feedback to the player so they know what's going on without being distracted from the guy in their sights.

Edited by Fuse

The problem is that there are people of all ages, I think this happens when you mix senior players with teen players

I agree with all the improvements, but some improvements are perhaps far in the future.

in this case for example is paradoxical the character stops to draw his pistol, but do absolutely nothing when you change the shooting mode, something that does not affect the fight because no one changes the shooting mode in hot situations but draw his pistol; do not get me wrong i support all animations, BIS is what must constantly improve, the small details that make the difference, especially now that companies only think about raising money, i think bis going well that is the goal of this forum.

Why for?

It's really nothing, there is no animation since OFP, so why now?

Riiiiiigh, so if something isn't in OFP it means why bother put it in a later generation game?

With that logic, ARMA 3 would look and act the exact same way OFP does, which would make it a pretty pointless product.

My fire select button sits directly under my thumb. Pressing down on a button really doesn't take long. ;)

And what about an AK-style? what about a bullpup-style? what about a1234bcdegfbfg-style?

And what about an AK-style? what about a bullpup-style? what about a1234bcdegfbfg-style?

Huh? My mouse buttons don't move when I change weapons. :confused:

Huh? My mouse buttons don't move when I change weapons. :confused:

however, your character is needed to perform the changing firemode animation which is depend on various fire selector mechanism layout styles.

What you don't get is that some of these people have been around for almost 10 years, supporting (and building!) this serie when the majority of FPS gamers were spitting on it, judging it ugly, crappy, full of bug,...

Then comes the day of the release of a new sequel and hundreds of new faces appear (usually coming from more arcade shooters) on this forums and require this or that (again, usually features present in arcadish FPS) to be implemented in game.

And this is the perfect example. People stating it would be more realistic to have a animation for firing mode selection just don't understand what they are talking about.

Gameplay wise it would add NOTHING to realism. It's just another useless, exagerated piece of eye candy people are used to see in other games.

There are far more important things devs should be working on at the moment than those kind of animation.

You might see the arma community as very conservative, it's not.

It's true that many among us have always been afraid that BIS would eventually drop the simulation aspect and go with a more mainstream gameplay, more appealing to the masses.

There are dozens of CoD/BF like shooters, there's only one ArmA and we don't want to loose it.

Also keep in mind about any suggestion made here in the last couple of weeks has already been discussed to death in the last few years.

That might also explains why some of the "vets" seems to be tired with this constant flow of "new" suggestion.

Yes, we've been around longer than you do but that doesn't make us better or smarter person.

But we might have a better understanding of what ArmA is and should be about if it wants to remain a "true" sequel to the serie.

Playing this serie for a decade gave to some of us the ability to better foresee how a feature will affect the gameplay, how it might be exploited or how it could be usefull to mod or mission making.

By buying ArmA, people have made the deliberated choice to try something new, something completely different than any other FPS on the market.

Now it's up to them to adapt themselves to this new style of gaming and not constantly trying to make it look and feel like any other FPS.

Edited by Macadam Cow

What you don't get is that some of these people have been around for almost 10 years, supporting (and building!) this serie when the majority of FPS gamers were spitting on it, judging it ugly, crappy, full of bug,...

Then comes the day of the release of a new sequel and hundreds of new faces appear (usually coming from more arcade shooters) on this forums and require this or that (again, usually features present in arcadish FPS) to be implemented in game.

And this is the perfect example. People stating it would be more realistic to have a animation for firing mode selection just don't understand what they are talking about.

Gameplay wise it would add NOTHING to realism. It's just another useless, exagerated piece of eye candy people are used to see in other games.

There are far more important things devs should be working on at the moment than those kind of animation.

You might see the arma community as very conservative, it's not.

Many among us have always been afraid that BIS would eventually drop the simulation aspect and go with a more mainstream gameplay, more appealing to the masses.

There are dozens of CoD/BF like shooters, there's only one ArmA and we don't want to loose it.

Also keep in mind about any suggestion made here in the last couple of weeks has already been discussed to death in the last few years.

That might also explains why some of the "vets" seems to be tired with this constant flow of "new" suggestion.

Yes, we've been around longer than you do but that doesn't make us better or smarter person.

But we might have a better understanding of what ArmA is and should be about if it wants to remains a "true" sequel to the serie.

Playing this serie for a decade gave to some of us the ability the better forsee how a feature will affect the gameplay, how it might be exploited or how it could be usefull to mod or mission making.

By buying ArmA, people have made the delibareted choice to try something new, something completely different than any other FPS on the market.

Now it's up to them to adapt to this new style of gaming and not constantly trying to make it look and feel like any other FPS.

I couldn't agree more!

I know i havn't been around since the OFp days but that dosn't make me go around saying this game dosn't offer realism maybe you should play the game and see what it really offer and what you get here and not in BF or CoD here you get the whole package here you get to make your own stuff make your own missions and last but not least kick ass realisticly speaking that is.

If someone want a firing selection animation, why don't you just make it yourself?

Respect

If someone want a firing selection animation, why don't you just make it yourself?

Because that's just weird to say. You might as well release a game without crouch animations and say "Hey, if you want a crouch animation, why don't you make it yourself?". You want a vault animation? Good luck making that yourself. Oh you want a salute animation? Make that yourself. Sit animation? You know the drill. It's somewhat over-the-top, but this really seems like the mindset a lot of people around here have.

As opposed to what lots of Arma players think I actually think it's somewhat nice to have a relatively complete game, where I don't have to add everything with a mod (And thus ruining my ability to play a public game relatively hassle-free). I'm not talking about implementing stuff like ACRE by default, I'm talking about relatively small additions like an animation.. a different grenade throw (Roll and so).. Even firing from vehicles is something that really doesn't do any harm by implementing it by default.

Anyway, seeing there is no such thing as a modular animation system for Arma (I believe.. Not sure if such a thing even exists in general. I'm talking about just having to animate the lower arm + hand or so and attach it to the rest of the body) it would probably require full animations for different stances, which would take a ton of work for such a small addition.