Sign in to follow this  
jureidinim

Future of 1.05 Beta?

I hope many are just waiting (as me) for the dev framework to become final.

The game is top.

Yeah! I recon there is a silent army of fans that check daily for updates. They are a silent lot these carrier commanders, but they are there, I can feel their eyes watching me. :rolleyes:

Just as it sounds.

It's mod-able.

The music is great.

I get as much enjoyment if not more, from CCGM, as I did when playing the OG.

just as it sounds.

no units or weapons are moddable - only scripts

there are 2 music tracks in the entire game - timewarp, and just taken over an island. this is rubbish. no combat music.

the original was more enjoyable! perhaps, you have very low standards for what you consider enjoyable? hmmm.

just as it sounds.

no units or weapons are moddable - only scripts

there are 2 music tracks in the entire game - timewarp, and just taken over an island. this is rubbish. no combat music.

the original was more enjoyable! perhaps, you have very low standards for what you consider enjoyable? hmmm.

- It's modd-able

- Music is great.

- Ha! low standard indeed, Have you watched any vid's of the original lately? We sure had low standards in those days.

I don't think we had low standards in those days, the game was revolutionary at the time. You couldn't go back and play it today though, after playing the new version.

I don't think we had low standards in those days, the game was revolutionary at the time. You couldn't go back and play it today though, after playing the new version.

Those days, hardware was basically in it's infancy, the dev's did what they could with what they had. The OG CC, was a classic and a massive breakthrough in computer gaming and terribly addictive. But when you think back to when you use to play the game, 90% of the fun was had by the players imagination, the rest supplied by the software. These day's it's all done for us.

That little blob of colored shimmering pixels, could so easily be transformed into a mighty carrier with all it's assorted bits, by the imagination. :)

Edited by Dajunka

- It's modd-able

- Music is great.

- Ha! low standard indeed, Have you watched any vid's of the original lately? We sure had low standards in those days.

- it's half-moddable

- music hardly exists

- the original, like Species said, was revolutionary at the time. It was also bug free. CCGM is a step BACK in everything except graphics and sound, and perhaps the AI, since even though it doesn't work too well it still exists.

Game mechanics wise, the original is better. destroy every building on an enemy island except the command centre, then goto another island and then come back, that island will be as if you'd never been there. Do that in the original game, and the island will be re-building in real time.

- If it's half moddable, then you are able to mod it.

- There is music, therefore there is music.

- LoL, bug free hu? I remember buying a second copy of the OG, because those days it was the only way to get the patched version. The first version was bugged. How many actual versions followed that, I don't know as I didn't have the money at the time to buy another, but I do remember quite a few crashes and reloads. At least these day's patch's are free.

Anyway, how big was the OG in k? It must have been around the same size as CCGM splash screen. I bet it was a lot easier to debug in comparison to today's monsters.

Edited by Dajunka

- If it's half moddable, then you are able to mod it.

- There is music, therefore there is music.

- LoL, bug free hu? I remember buying a second copy of the OG, because those days it was the only way to get the patched version. The first version was bugged. How many actual versions followed that, I don't know as I didn't have the money at the time to buy another, but I do remember quite a few crashes and reloads. At least these day's patch's are free.

Anyway, how big was the OG in k? It must have been around the same size as CCGM splash screen. I bet it was a lot easier to debug in comparison to today's monsters.

- you said it's moddable, not half moddable or that you can mod some of it, you suggested that modding is fully supported, which it isn't as yet

- you said the music is 'great'. there is a short loop bit of music when in timewarp, and the same music that plays every time you take an island. 2 tracks is not 'great' dude....it's poor

- My version of the original was bug free. And that's my point about size and processing capability. The amiga ran the game with things happening on all islands in 'real-time'. Islands would progressively build themselves (with random structure placing) over time whether you are present on that island or not. Leave the island and come back, structures will still be building, and building positions will be remembered by the game when you re-visit the island. This substantially adds to the realism of things existing in the game.

The current game has the same layout on islands every time, walls and rubble exist on islands that haven't even been build on yet, and island structures and enemy units just get 'spawned' on your arrival. If an amiga can handle it, a PC game should have no trouble handling it.

It's a game of shortcuts - arrive on your island when it's under attack, and enemy units will just be spawned on the opposite side of the island to where the enemy carrier is! how did they get there without fighting through your island's defences? plus, if you watch as the enemy carrier is attacking your island, the carrier units will almost NEVER win - your island defences will take them out in about 30 seconds, and if they do win, they then just sit there instead of proceeding to your command centre. In the old game, you could watch the enemy carrier destroy your island's defences and your island try to re-build those defences until the enemy carrier takes out your command centre. Now, tell me the AI isn't a step BACK in CCGM? lol

- Now, tell me the AI isn't a step BACK in CCGM? lol

I don't know, it's not so simple. I mean your islands in the OG were basically football pitch's with a mountain dotted here and there. In CCGM, you have actual terrain. As for the enemy carrier's AI, yeah, I have to admit I have seen it cheating were it's suppose to be thinking, pretty dense actually.

I guess we need as much imagination with this one as we did the OG. :)

Still love it though.

I don't know, it's not so simple. I mean your islands in the OG were basically football pitch's with a mountain dotted here and there. In CCGM, you have actual terrain. As for the enemy carrier's AI, yeah, I have to admit I have seen it cheating were it's suppose to be thinking, pretty dense actually.

I guess we need as much imagination with this one as we did the OG. :)

Still love it though.

True, but at least if you set the manta autopilot in the OG, it just sets a course for it and gets there at the altitude level you set it at. Mantas in CCGM just slowly crawl to their destination, sometimes stopping and going side to side and all kinds of stuff that it shouldn't be doing, and then even getting stuck on hills, where it refuses to climb. All it needs to do is check the height of terrain slightly in front of it and change it's altitude accordingly, but it's just not doing that

walrus autopilot is no better, when it's following a path where it could go in a straight line it's stopping, even turning 180 degrees to face the completely wrong way, instead of just following the road or heading straight!

The worrying thing is, patches seem to be only fixing minor issues - i wonder if any of the larger bugs are actually being worked on?

Mantas in CCGM just slowly crawl to their destination, sometimes stopping and going side to side and all kinds of stuff that it shouldn't be doing, and then even getting stuck on hills, where it refuses to climb. All it needs to do is check the height of terrain slightly in front of it and change it's altitude accordingly, but it's just not doing that

walrus autopilot is no better, when it's following a path where it could go in a straight line it's stopping, even turning 180 degrees to face the completely wrong way, instead of just following the road or heading straight!

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen nor that it's not a problem. It's just that I tend to usually lead my units, and they nearly always do what I want them to do, most of the time without loss. However, I can see how wacky AI could get annoying if you play mainly from the map.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen nor that it's not a problem. It's just that I tend to usually lead my units, and they nearly always do what I want them to do, most of the time without loss. However, I can see how wacky AI could get annoying if you play mainly from the map.

do you normally only head in with one walrus?

I find it gets worse when i manually control one walrus with the other 3 assisting!

do you normally only head in with one walrus?

I find it gets worse when i manually control one walrus with the other 3 assisting!

The way I usually do it is like tanking and pulling used in other games. Have my manta's hover in the rear, take mine in and draw fire, then either shout my manta's in, or run back to them depending on what it is I am up against. I do the same with my walrus.