Sign in to follow this  
Elcoo

Changing stance using headtracking

Hey guys,

I'm surprised there's no thread about this yet (or at least I haven't found any)

I'd love to be able to change the stance of my soldier using headtracking, even if it'd be only stepwise. I think it would be enough to select the main stance using the default keys for prone, crouch and standing up and then going on step up or down by ducking or looking up.

What do you think about that?

I reckon it should be perfectly possible already, just set it up in the controls.

Is it? Where do I have to set this up? Headtracking is working fine so far, I have 6Dof in Helicopters, but not as infantry.

When setting controls, find the control you wish to set up (Stance Up or somesuch thing) and then raise your head with the TrackIR enabled. The game should then attribute that translation to that control.

When setting controls, find the control you wish to set up (Stance Up or somesuch thing) and then raise your head with the TrackIR enabled. The game should then attribute that translation to that control.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there is no such thing as "Stance Up". This is set to CTRL-WASD, but you can not change it.

Cannot change the control? That would surprise me, so you cannot even add an alternative input to the one defined?

slighlty OT, but how do you set combo controls like "Left Ctrl+mousewheelup" or "space+mousewheelup"?

I wanted to try and use the mousewheel for stance adjustment (alone or while pressing Ctrl) and remap the quick menu navigation to space + mousewheel (since spacebar is the action key now), but in vain.

I can't seem to make custom double keys setups

Any help?

Normaly it's done by just pressing two buttons at once, and I think there are modifier keys at the right column, when editing key layouts. But the thing is, you can't change the WASD commands to your mousewheel, you only can change the Stancemodifier key which is lCtrl by default.

We'd need a "stance up" action and "stance down" action that we can map to Ctrl+key or mousewheel or Track IR then.

Headtracking is working fine so far, I have 6Dof in Helicopters, but not as infantry.

Do you really have 6DoF in helicopters? I only ask because I am currently getting just 2DoF (x-axis and y-axis rotation), as well as standard zoom.

Do you really have 6DoF in helicopters? I only ask because I am currently getting just 2DoF (x-axis and y-axis rotation), as well as standard zoom.

I was only getting 6DoF in teh AH and MH little bird.

Back to not being able to bind keys to a stance up/down - I'm not at home so I can't check it myself currently, but is there possibly a stance up/down bind in the actual config file that you find in the A3 other profiles folder? The bulldozer commands are hidden in there for example, but you can't access that from in-game.

That might be a way for us to bind your trackIR to ctrl+wsad. Someone let me know if I'm totally wrong.

+1

this is the 3rd thread about his topic. to use the extra stance positions we need to use the "Adjust" key (bind-able) along with W for stance up and S for stance down, and A&D for "step out left/right (not bind-able at all currently). we would like BIS to add "stance up/down" and "step out left/right" as a bind-able action. some of us want to remove that action from the WASD keys. another thing to note is the "urban prone" position. some of us think it would be better to remove that as a stand alone stance, and instead make it a modified stance, similar to lean (go prone, press lean left/right to go into "urban prone" left/right. these changes would greatly improve on the clunkiness of the current set up. hopefully enough people will ask for this change, so we can have the option of reassigning those keys. if they can be reassigned, then they could be assigned to any control type, be it TrackerIR, scrollwheel or even a game pad for those backwards people who play PC games with a console controller ;).

We'd need a "stance up" action and "stance down" action that we can map to Ctrl+key or mousewheel or Track IR then.

already checked the config files. stance up/down is not listed, only "Adjust". funny enough, there are commands for shifting through gears in vehicles... unfortunately they are not active and do nothing.

keyCarGearUp[]={};

keyCarGearDwn[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd1[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd2[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd3[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd4[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd5[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd6[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd7[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd8[]={};

keyCarShiftRvs1[]={};

keyCarShiftRvs2[]={};

I was only getting 6DoF in teh AH and MH little bird.

Back to not being able to bind keys to a stance up/down - I'm not at home so I can't check it myself currently, but is there possibly a stance up/down bind in the actual config file that you find in the A3 other profiles folder? The bulldozer commands are hidden in there for example, but you can't access that from in-game.

That might be a way for us to bind your trackIR to ctrl+wsad. Someone let me know if I'm totally wrong.

Edited by [FHA]Dynamo

I'm currently using my Logitech G940 rudder pedals to lean left/right and I've assigned toe brake axes a zone assignment where after 50% of toe brake forward my adjust stance button (Left alt) and strafe left/right (A/D) is pressed on the respective toe brake.

Works great and is a decent substitute for not having a single button bind for the step-out commands. You can do the same thing on other peripherals by making macros, for instance, on my Razer Nostromo I bound some D-pad buttons to alt+W and alt+S and created a single key "adjust stance" button. I'm sure any other similar device with half-capable profiling software can do the same. It's an easy fix for the time being and gets the job done well.

Unfortunately, you still cannot change the new ArmA 3 stances while running and using this workaround, stand/crouch/prone still work in motion though.

@[FHA]Dynamo: Ah your right. Bummer.

I was hoping that we could find a command line like some of you mentioned that was something along the line of "stance up" or "stance down". After playing around I realized that moving up or down a stance is tied to your movement keys, which I obviously didn't realize. So I was able to bind my trackIR to movement, mess with the settings and make it so turning my head right went stance up and turning my head left went a stance down. Problem is that if you, lets say sneeze and do so into your right shoulder, your character will start moving forward.

Quick search showed at least one feedback ticket request the change http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3554

+1

Is there a feedback link for this so we can vote it up?

it's really odd that people are down voting this request. there really should not be any controls fixed to a key, all commands should be rebind-able. some people i guess would be satisfied if the default controls could not be reassigned at all.. "just learn to use the controls" well, what if i don't like using 2X W to go into a sprint? i rather have it as left Ctrl+W, as that lets me go directly into a sprint from walking/jogging with out the need to stop then go into a sprint. and it's the exact same issue with the stance modifier keys. i can move around and cycle through stand-crouch-prone while on the move without needing to stop, why not include all the other stances as well? currently have X,C,V for Prone, Crouch and Stand, why not just have two keys X and C for stance down and up. i'm really just repeating my self here.. removing the various stances from the movement keys WASD (moveforward, movebackward, moveleft, moveright) will only be beneficial for everyone. also we have a set of redundant controls for going prone and standing up (moveup and movedown) which do exactly the same as prone and stand, so why not make those commands for cycling through the stances instead?

Does anyone use this or similar controller or have at least tried? Or maybe at least heard about it from friends who tried it? http://www.emotiv.com/store/hardware/epoc-bci/epoc-neuroheadset/

I've heard about it but never had any experience actually using it. I enjoy imagining myself with that and my trackIR clip on.

@[FHA]Dynamo: Yea I really don't understand why anyone would be down voting that- the logic behind that decision makes no sense to me. Customization is key, especially in this series.

@11_HARLEY_11: check out this link here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3554

This is meant to be a response to a PM I received from ColinCJ, but he has his profile set to not receive PMs, so I can't reply...I'm leaving the response here so that he may find it since I can't actually send it to his inbox.

I've slightly edited my Nostromo keys from default to better suit the plethora of keys games like ArmA requires. I've incorporated the ctrl, alt, and shift buttons into the profile so I can use them as key modifiers. Thankfully, ArmA recognizes shift+<button>, ctrl+<button>, and alt+<button> combinations. I've bound the bottom left most keys to ctrl and alt so that I can hold it and press every other key as needed comfortably, this triples the amount of effective keys available, for example, I have the D-pad bound to the arrow keys...when I press the right D-Pad key, ArmA detects the right arrow key and zooms my view (I've changed the command in the control options menu "lock or reveal target", which toggles zoom, to right arrow) but when I hold the bottom left ctrl key with my pinkie and press the right D-pad key it changes my selected hand grenade type (I've changed the "select grenade" keybind to ctrl+right arrow). It allows one button to do two, three, or even four different things using the normal press, press with ctrl held, press with alt held, press with shift held.

I've used this very effectively to conveniently bind keys that I find myself not needing at a split-second's notice. Currently, I have select grenade, step over, change optics, GPS, and throw grenade usable only when pressing certain buttons with ctrl.

I use the round black thumb-button (orange button on older Belkin Nostromos) to change my weapons (ctrl+orange button to throw grenade) which allows quick reaction since the button is so conveniently located and accessible. I base a lot of choosing which buttons do what based on the frequency that I press them. If you use a command, like sprint, very often like I do, it's imperative that you make that button easy and quick to press...I've bound sprint to button 10 on the Nostromo (default keybind in the Nostromo software is F).

Here is a link to a picture of my Nostromo binds. You don't have to copy them verbatim. It's most important that you go through the entire list of commands within the ArmA controls menu and rebind everything according to where you want them on the Nostromo...nevermind the default ArmA binds, just clear and unbind them as you go and replace them with what you want.

Here is a link to my ArmA keybind config file. I'm not sure if this will work, but if you rename it to your player name and copy it to your My Documents/ArmA 3 Alpha/<player name> the game should pick it up. You should probably create a new test profile within the game (this is done in the options menu under profile) so it does not overwrite your original keybinds in case you don't like it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/%5BCAS%5DAborted%2520Man.rar

Here's a pic of my what my Nostromo is bound to

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/NostromoKeys.PNG (197 kB)

This last link is the .ini from my Macros profile. When you import this into the Razer Nostromo software it will allow you to use the macros I've made for the one-press stance adjustments. To import this, download the Macros.ini file to somewhere on your computer using the link, in the Razer Nostromo software click the "manage profiles" tab up top, click "import", find and select the Macros.ini file. This should load my two macros into the program.

To assign those macros to a Nostromo key, go back to the "assign buttons" tab and click on any of the keys from the list. You'll see a dropdown menu open up, click "Macro Playback", a menu will come up, using the drop down menu there select "Stance Up" or "Stance Down" according to whichever you want it to do. I used "Up" on the D-Pad for stance up, and "Down" on the D-pad for stance down, but you can change it to whatever you want.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14029139/Macros.rar

To get the macros working without changing what the macros do, you must bind "adjust stance" in the ArmA controls menu to "alt" and move forward and move back must be bound to "W" and "S".

I'm sure you'll have more questions, sorry if this was a bit long-winded. Send me a message if you need more help.

+1

Especially mousewheel!