Sign in to follow this  
mordeaniischaos

Are we going to get/is there anywhere to get Patch Notes?

We've seen two updates, at least on the dev channel, but I haven't seen any Patch Notes in any of the expected areas. For alpha testing, this is a really handy thing to have, because people can know what's different and know if it's intentional, or stop/start testing an issue, etc. These first updates have been tiny, so I doubt it's anything big, but then it could easily be major changes as well, depending on what the change actually is.

Are we going to get patch notes on relevant patches? Even small changes are important to put out so we know to inform the dev team if things are working as intended or if the fix failed in some way, or potentially caused a secondary issue.

Plus, it's just nice to know what changes have been made if you're working on content for the game, whether it is assets, addons, missions, or scripts, or whatever you happen to be working on, in case any changes interfere with your work in any way.

I can't agree more with this. I saw a 14mb update earlier and wasn't able to check anything or see what was changed. They were small updates, but a 14mb update could be anything, from optimization to adding sound files, etc. So far nothing has been posted at the Alpha sitrep area except the announcement of alpha release.

http://alpha.arma3.com/

My friend told me that they added better SLI support (don't know about crossfire) for graphic cards. There was no difference using single or multi gpu before. Yesterday he showed me screenshots with fps with single and multi graphic card. Difference in fps was hudge, with single graphic card he had around 40 fps, while he enabled second graphic card he got around 75fps, so almost twice more. Would be nice if somebody could confirm this.

Tried to play Multiplayer with 2 friends last night and one of them could not recieve the mission file. Turned out he was the only one not having Dev updates enabled. Once he switched that on and got the Alpha updated it worked. So I guess the different versions are incompatible at least. Would've been nice to have in a Changelog, although we found out rather quickly.

Yes, patch notes would be awsome! Makes alpha testing really hard without them.

After the update last night vehicle damage has been tweaked a LOT. Its almost a death trap driving a quad bike now, even the slightest bump will make you loose 5-10 hp now and I almost killed my self driving a Hunter into a tree with 50 km/h aswell.

The versions should be compatible though, just like arma II beta is backwards compatible.

But we need a changelog tbh.

There were a lot of things tweaked. couple notable ones I have seen

All around stability has increased

Cpu utilization has been improved

two amd cards in crossfire are working. I'm able to see 99% on both cards every so often. While the scaling for crossfire isn't too great hopefully it will improve with driver updates.

There are new shadow looks and effect. There are's also a very high and an ultra for shadow quality.

Tried to play Multiplayer with 2 friends last night and one of them could not recieve the mission file. Turned out he was the only one not having Dev updates enabled. Once he switched that on and got the Alpha updated it worked. So I guess the different versions are incompatible at least. Would've been nice to have in a Changelog, although we found out rather quickly.

Not surprising, although I was totally able to run a game with a mixed group before this most recent patch, so it may be inconsistent.

the most important change was the "birdception" I bet everyone noticed it ... tho I think we need fix that now :p

the most important change was the "birdception" I bet everyone noticed it ... tho I think we need fix that now :p

Hilarious when i think about it today! March 11th, "The Seagull Uprising". Good to hear that it wasn't scripting.

For what I know, these are changes made so for to the developer version (gotten from the forum and the Feedback Tracker):

- Better Helicopter showcase performance

- No "Zooming while being a turtle" crash (I'm serious)

- New Shadows http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149545-Thoughts-on-the-new-Shadows-and-settings

A bug regarding multiplayer was also introduced though:

- When a developer version user joins an MP game, all players will become seagulls

It would be great if a mod or developer showed up clearyfing this developer fixes aspect of the Alpha, and if changelogs could be posted...

Yay!

EDIT: Whoops, got ninjad by Dwarden... Will changelogs for these updates ever be publiced?

Changelogs are coming, but they are not available yet. The default branch large updates will surely have them; the development branch will have our entire team working on them and it has the potential to update very frequently. We are trying for a good enough automated method there, since manual compilation is not doable in that scenario.

Changelogs are coming, but they are not available yet. The default branch large updates will surely have them; the development branch will have our entire team working on them and it has the potential to update very frequently. We are trying for a good enough automated method there, since manual compilation is not doable in that scenario.
Thanks for the update, it's awesome to see you developers answering us so willingly!

Yay!

any news on when we might see the first patch to the "regular" version?

A next default branch update is likely to happen in the week after this one: we have to get Alpha Lite out first this Thursday.

A next default branch update is likely to happen in the week after this one: we have to get Alpha Lite out first this Thursday.

Sounds great, keep it up! You guys have really outdone yourselfs! Great game so far!

How do I receive these updates? Auto Update in Steam is turned on. Steam only downloads either an 7,4 MB or 6 MB file, depending which version I chose to start the alpah with (developer or stable).

The version number still is the one the alpha has been released with.

Thanks for any adivce.

I have developer (beta) build set to ON in steam properties for ARMA3....Is that how Ill get my alpha updated?

I have developer (beta) build set to ON in steam properties for ARMA3....Is that how Ill get my alpha updated?
Yes...

Yay!

Just got another 14mb update, and we are now at version 0.5.102571 on the dev build.

A changelog is getting more and more needed, cant wait to proberly start testing theese updates :)