Sign in to follow this  
zonkovic

Making AI disengage from combat

Hello all,

I've been playing around with the editor since ArmA, but never made anything complex, and I am trying to make missions with more interesting interactions.

The mission I am making is basically "Players (BLUFOR) defend the village". The problem is that the AI will keep fighting until they all die, or individually run away. I don't know of any real military that orders soldiers to fight to the death in each and every mission! It's not very tactical to continue when you are beaten.

I want to script the AI to give up the fight if they take heavy casualties. I don't mean individual soldiers retreating because their squad dies, but a trigger that says "okay, OPFOR have taken 75% casualties trying to take this one stupid village, time to go home". Ideally they would withdraw tactically i.e. bounding + deploying smoke, but I'll settle for just making them run off too.

To test it I've been using four AI in a squad set to "search and destroy" my position. This is synchronized to a "switch" trigger, which goes off if they have less than 3 men alive. The next waypoint tells them to move "full speed" "careless" to a distant point. But once they are in combat, they just don't disengage. The last man will keep firing at me surrounded by his dead comrades.

The only solution I have found online is to use "disableAI" but I'd rather if I could find a more intelligent solution!

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

That is definitely helpful, but from what I have read, it has some drawbacks. If I understand correctly, units who flee will regroup at their starting position and then resume their previous waypoints. In any case it gives me something to play around with - thanks very much.

I might see if it works to use fleeing = true on a trigger to change waypoints. That way if the unit flees, when they rally they'll go to a designated fall-back point instead of back into the fray.

EDIT - I was overthinking it! I just set it so that if the group takes xx% losses, it triggers the "switch" and then if they flee, they rally back to the next waypoint rather than the same one! I tested it, and it works just how I wanted. Thanks again.

Edited by zonkovic