Alwarren

FHQ M4 for Arma 3 (Prerelease)

That's pretty damn awesome mate.:D

All handled by the model.cfg? Mind showing an example .cfg, or the names of animation source(s) used to detect changes to muzzle/firemode?

Yeah, no problem. Here's my M4 model.cfg

class CfgSkeletons
{
   class Default {
       isDiscrete = 1;
       skeletonInherit = "";
       skeletonBones[] = {};
   };
   class WeaponSkeleton: Default
   {
       skeletonBones[]=
       {
           "magazine","",
           "bolt", "",
           "trigger", "",
           "zasleh", "",
           "iron sight", "",
           "leaf sight", "",
           "grenade sight", "",
           "fire lever", ""
       };
   };
};

class CfgModels
{
   class Default {
       selections[] = {};
       selectionsInherit = "";
       skeletonName = "";
   };

class Weapon: Default
   {
       skeletonName="WeaponSkeleton";
       sections[]=
       {
           "zasleh",
           "weapon",
           "iron sight"
       };
       class Animations
       {
           class muzzleflash_hide
           {
               type="hide";
               source="hasSuppressor";
               selection="zasleh";
               minValue = 0.0;
               maxvalue = 0.25;
               hideValue = 0.01;
           };
           class magazine_hide
           {
                type = "hide";
                source = "reloadMagazine";
                selection = "magazine";
                minValue = 0.000000;
                maxValue = 1.00000;
                hideValue = 0.220;
           };
           class trigger
           {
               type="translationX";
               source="reload";
               selection="trigger";
               axis="";
               animPeriod=0;
               memory="false";
               minValue=0;
               maxValue=0.010;
           };
           class bolt
           {
               type = "translation";
               source = "reload";
               selection = "bolt";
               axis = "bolt_axis";
               begin = "bolt_axis_end";
               end = "bolt_axis_begin";
               minValue = 0;
               maxValue = 1; //0.09; //"1";
               offset0 = "0";
               offset1 = "1";
           };
           class bolt_empty
           {
               type="translationx";
               source="isEmpty";
               selection="bolt";
               axis="";
               animPeriod=0;
               minValue=0;
               maxValue=0.09; //10;
               offset0 = "0";
               offset1 = "1";
           };
           class ironsight_hide
           {
               type = "hide";
                source = "hasOptics";
                selection = "iron sight";
                minValue = 0.000000;
                maxValue = 1.00000;
                hideValue = 0.220;
           };
           class GrenadeLauncherLeaf {
               type="rotationZ";
               source="weaponMuzzle";
               memory=1;
               selection="leaf sight";
               animPeriod=0;
               axis="leaf sight axis";
               minValue=0.0;
               maxValue=1.0;
               minPhase=0.0;
               maxPhase=1.0;
               angle0=-1.3089969389957472;
               angle1=0.0;
           };
           class GrenadeLauncherFront {
               type="rotationZ";
               source="weaponMuzzle";
               memory=1;
               selection="grenade sight";
               animPeriod=0;
               axis="grenade sight axis";
               minValue=0.0;
               maxValue=1.0;
               minPhase=0.0;
               maxPhase=1.0;
               angle0=1.6406094968746698;
               angle1=0.0;
           };
           class FireModeSwitch {
               type="rotationZ";
               source="weaponMode";
               memory=1;
               selection="fire lever";
               animPeriod=0;
               axis="fire lever axis";
               minValue=0.0;
               maxValue=1.0;
               minPhase=0.0;
               maxPhase=1.0;
               angle1="rad 360";
               angle0=0.0;
           };
       };
   };

class M4A1: Weapon {};
   class M4A1_M320: Weapon {};

};

The relevant parts are the FireModeSwitch and the GrenadeLauncherLeaf/Front anims. The M320 has two sights, so I need two anims to flip them. On an M203, one would obviously be enough. The fire mode switch I didn't try with more than two modes (semi and auto), obviously this would change if a burst mode is also available.

I would have wanted an anim source for the backup/main sight as well, so I could have had an animated G33 magnifier tube, but it doesn't seem to be available, guess I need to kindly ask BIS to add that :D

Delivered all texture to Alwarren today.

I am pretty pleased with what i came up with, which again wouldnt be possible without the amazing cooperation and workflow with Alwarren. Without the model i would still just put together some reskins ^^.

Now for the 320 and 203 ^^

Edited by fluttershy

Yeah, no problem. Here's my M4 model.cfg

Thanks a lot.

The weapons I'm working on only have one or two firemodes anyway; but might be worth a look so see if in order to add a third firemode (e.g burst) you'd have to increase the maxValue setting from 1 to 2, similar to how the number of zeroing settings for the new GL sighting system is linked to the model.cfg steps for the anim via increasing the maxvalue setting to "NumberOfZeroingDistances - 1".

source="weaponMuzzle" is an interesting prospect in its self though, if you have a weapon with only one firemode (like an MG, or a semi-automatic or manual action rifle): I imagine you'd be able to add a 'dummy' secondary firemode with the same characteristics as your primary firemode and use the weaponMuzzle source to animate something like dropping a bipod on the weapon. Obviously if you have a weapon with multiple select-fire setting it becomes tedious to double every firemode to have a 'bipod down' version, but with non-selective fire weapons the results could be interesting! :D

I was conducting an experiment to do similar with a fake GL muzzle on a MG, and use source="zeroing2" with two zeroing distances (0 and 1) to animate a bipod, but now I know about source="weaponMuzzle" it seems like it'd be far more intuitive to use that.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Thanks a lot.

The weapons I'm working on only have one or two firemodes anyway; but might be worth a look so see if in order to add a third firemode (e.g burst) you'd have to increase the maxValue setting from 1 to 2, similar to how the number of zeroing settings for the new GL sighting system is linked to the model.cfg steps for the anim via increasing the maxvalue setting to "NumberOfZeroingDistances - 1".

Ah, so that is how it works... Interesting ^^

source="weaponMuzzle" is an interesting prospect in its self though, if you have a weapon with only one firemode (like an MG, or a semi-automatic or manual action rifle): I imagine you'd be able to add a 'dummy' secondary firemode with the same characteristics as your primary firemode and use the weaponMuzzle source to animate something like dropping a bipod on the weapon. Obviously if you have a weapon with multiple select-fire setting it becomes tedious to double every firemode to have a 'bipod down' version, but with non-selective fire weapons the results could be interesting! :D

I was conducting an experiment to do similar with a fake GL muzzle on a MG, and use source="zeroing2" with two zeroing distances (0 and 1) to animate a bipod, but now I know about source="weaponMuzzle" it seems like it'd be far more intuitive to use that.

Great idea, you can even set the prone recoil of the bipod fire mode lower to actually have a benefit from the mode. The same goes for sniper rifles like the XM2010 that only have single shot/bolt-action, could lower the dispersion and recoil so that the bipod starts to matter. Nice!

*starts to rummage through his harddrive for the Remingtons*

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

I created an issue on the tracker for this feature - namely having an opticsMode anim source to animate scopes with fold-away or flip-up backup sights. Please vote :)

I created an issue on the tracker for this feature - namely having an opticsMode anim source to animate scopes with fold-away or flip-up backup sights. Please vote :)

Something tells me that there will be a official magnifier > http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119512-Arma-3-Confirmed-features-info-amp-discussion&p=2168707&viewfull=1#post2168707

Good spot :)

I got a crash when I starts this addon with A3

Yes, that's a known issue I'm afraid. I'll be updating the pack probably tomorrow.

Yes, that's a known issue I'm afraid. I'll be updating the pack probably tomorrow.

Can't wait man, looking forward to these "classified" new skins too :cool:

Alright since the release is close, i think its okay to tease people with the textures a little ^^.

p1SVig5.jpg

Alright, update is released. Read more about it here.

New in this release:

• Fluttershy's retexture
  • Working fire select lever
  • Extra camo: Winter
  • Fixed crash/floating magazine issues (Thanks M4Mkey for your patience in creating a reproduction case)

Screenshots:

http://friedenhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-18_00001.jpg

http://friedenhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-18_00002.jpg

http://friedenhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-18_00003.jpg

http://friedenhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-18_00004.jpg

http://friedenhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-18_00006.jpg

Enjoy! :)

(first page updated with download link)

Still haven't fixed the front post and the barrel aye? I would think that would be top priority, seeing as how their not authentic.

Still haven't fixed the front post and the barrel aye? I would think that would be top priority, seeing as how their not authentic.

The barrel has the indention for the M203, it's not very visible depending on lighting.

What is the issue with the front post? I've looked at M4 pictures, and it looks pretty much like this.

Top priority was to get a new version out since the old one tended to crash or give graphical glitches.

@unpredictable Thanks :)

I was expecting a bigger update but this is still good!

I was expecting a bigger update but this is still good!

More to come. The grenade launcher is difficult to adjust, I'd like it to actually shoot where it is supposed to; besides, I have a day job too you know ;)

Geez, guys.. "I was expecting more" and "this has to be top priority"... honestly, what the heck is wrong with you guys ?

Geez, guys.. "I was expecting more" and "this has to be top priority"... honestly, what the heck is wrong with you guys ?

No worries, we'll add a new "Hello Kitty" camo next update ;)

Great job and thanks for sharing your work! :)

Nice update, really good job, just tested and everything works fine ;)

(For later, could you add pointer IR item in your Colt Supply Crate ?)

Thank you !

Edited by g00d69

Thanks for the feedback, everybody :)

(For later, could you add pointer IR item in your Colt Supply Crate ?)

Yeah, I was still thinking of adding the AN/PEQ-15 laser pointer from the Remington pack. I'll add the standard IR pointer for now.

The barrel has the indention for the M203, it's not very visible depending on lighting.

What is the issue with the front post? I've looked at M4 pictures, and it looks pretty much like this.

Top priority was to get a new version out since the old one tended to crash or give graphical glitches.

@unpredictable Thanks :)

Alwarren, I offer this as feedback, not as a demand or an insult to your great work. Hopefully you won't take offense (and I'll attempt a better delivery than the previous poster)...

I think what lsp was trying to say (in not the best way) is that these aren't "M4" rifles, they're "AR-15" rifles...ie the barrel is 16". If you use a majority of internet pictures as reference (or, from what I've gathered in watching all of you excellent addon makers), you use the BIS models, the barrel length is incorrect. The majority of American AR rifles (where a lot of source pictures come from) have 16" barrels, which is probably why BIS used that length as their model back in A2. However the actual Colt M4 is a 14.5" barrel. These require more paperwork to own in the U.S. and some states don't even allow it, so that's why the majority of AR owners have the 16" version (and why you see more pictures of 16" versions).

Since you were able to change the barrel profile to match the M4/M203 notch, maybe you're able to mess with the barrel length, too. If so, it would improve your already great work.

Hopefully that made sense. Again, I don't mean to disparage your contributions to the community.