Sign in to follow this  
terox

The reason why we are spawning as seagulls

If you have been playing on the MP servers over the last few hours or so you will have noticed that you may have been spawning as a seagull at the start of missions.

or

You are unable to take a slot in the player assignment screen (Caused by same bug)

The facts

This issue started roughly when the latest development build (0.5.102980 dev) was made available and is widespread over a lot of servers.

logic dictates that this is going to be an engine bug not some script kiddie or hacker.

Fortunately there is a Server admin Skype channel, where this type of information can be discussed relatively quickly.

The general conscenus of this channel is:

If a client running the latest development build of arma3 connects to a server, they will cause a bug to occur which spawns players as seagulls.

So to re-iterate, this is highly suspected of being an engine bug nothing more.

BIS are aware of this and i would suspect this will be a priority for them when they start work in the morning

There are rumours that this is caused by cheaters/hackers/script kiddies.

If you don't know how to prove these suspicions or cannot prove them please don't spread malicious rumours which does nobody any good.

If you don't know how to run the Development version and want too, this is how you do it

1) Open Steam

2) Select library

3) Right click on ArmA3 & select properties

4) Select Beta tab

in the drop down box, select "development-Development Build"

ArmA3 will then automatically update if it isnt running

If in the future you want to revert to a stable build, simply undo the option and the ArmA3 version will roll back to the last stable

Edited by Terox

Just to attempt to clarify what is happening - do you mean that players who are already playing get changed to seagulls, or when a player respawns they spawn as a seagull?

Everyone turns into a seagull in the middle of the ocean regardless of what they were doing. Any attempts to respawn have no effect. Leaving the lobby/game and joining again also spawns you as a seagull. I've seen it happen mid game and immediately after creating/launching a new mission.

wonder if it would be possible to write a script to kick joining players if their version doesn't match the servers to keep this from happening?

Edited by kwhy
grammerz

wonder if it would be possible to write a script to kick joining players if there version doesn't match the servers to keep this from happening?

There is a server.cfg option, "requiredBuild", that should work.

There is a server.cfg option, "requiredBuild", that should work.

Requiredbuild isnt working as yet.

this is only a temporary bug, should be sorted today for us

Is this for sure or are you just guessing?

"Requiredbuild isnt working as yet."

"this is only a temporary bug, should be sorted today for us" (This is a gamestopper, so yes thats what would be expected and yes they defintely know about it)

both statements confirmed by others in the Server Admin skype chann, if you are an admin, its worth joining. PM Dwarden

Edited by Terox

Cool

Next question is, what part of the world is BIS from? Is it today for them already? :p

Just wonderin cuz its night over here and I wanna get some Arma action before I sleep.

If you have been playing on the MP servers over the last few hours or so you will have noticed that you may have been spawning as a seagull at the start of missions.

The facts

This issue started roughly when the latest development build (0.5.102980 dev) was made available and is widespread over a lot of servers.

logic dictates that this is going to be an engine bug not some script kiddie or hacker.

Fortunately there is a Server admin Skype channel, where this type of information can be discussed relatively quickly.

The general conscenus of this channel is:

If a client running the latest development build of arma3 connects to a server, they will cause a bug to occur which spawns players as seagulls.

So to re-iterate, this is highly suspected of being an engine bug nothing more.

BIS are aware of this and i would suspect this will be a priority for them when they start work in the morning

There are rumours that this is caused by cheaters/hackers/script kiddies.

If you don't know how to prove these suspicions or cannot prove them please don't spread malicious rumours which does nobody any good.

If you don't know how to run the Development version and want too, this is how you do it

1) Open Steam

2) Select library

3) Right click on ArmA3 & select properties

4) Select Beta tab

in the drop down box, select "development-Development Build"

ArmA3 will then automatically update if it isnt running

If in the future you want to revert to a stable build, simply undo the option and the ArmA3 version will roll back to the last stable

That's all fine and dandy, but we are NOT spawning as seagulls! We are spawning into the slots we have selected playing the game, and idiots are using trainer type software to turn people into seagulls. We are not spawned into birds at game start! If you truely played the game, you would have seen this. The game is totally unplayable as of the moment. I have just disconnected because I can't find a server where this is not happening. I am so upset it's just beyond words! I expect CTD's, and I expect lost sessions and bugs, but I do not expect the Alpha 3 to be this unplayable! I'm so angry right now, I don't even think a prozac would help me at this point! Not that Bohemia cares in the slightest or they would have jumped on this issue the hour it started happening. If you want to improve the game, start reading the comments of people who are paying to beta test YOUR games, and don't just provide us a place to place a comment, in which case we are directed through some indirect comment through board personnel who manage the website. Your loosing gamers Bohemia, and perhaps that was the goal of this incident, perhaps it's an attack from a competitor, wouldn't suprise me, but I assure you it's not some stupid game bug, as I'm told. I'm 42 years old, and I'm not that stupid. If you want to continue losing gamers, then continue doing nothing, and I'll never buy another Bohemia game ever again, and I've been faithful since Operation Flashpoint.

Cool

Next question is, what part of the world is BIS from? Is it today for them already? :p

Just wonderin cuz its night over here and I wanna get some Arma action before I sleep.

Czech Republic ... so yes.

If you want to improve the game, start reading the comments of people who are paying to beta test YOUR games

You paid for preordering the full game. Access to the alpha (which is the current state) and the beta are a gift fom BI as a "thank you for your preorder". Alpha also means that the game isn't feature complete and ofc full of bugs that need to be ironed out.

I'm 42 years old

Please act accordingly (i left this age already behind me, just to say).

That's all fine and dandy, but we are NOT spawning as seagulls! We are spawning into the slots we have selected playing the game, and idiots are using trainer type software to turn people into seagulls.

The software contains a sort of debug mode or call it: "when something goes wrong, turns these poor ppl into seaguls" (it happened to be used by DEGRADE as well, their anti-piracy system). So imagine it as sort of "error representation".

In the most recent patch (downloaded by the ppl that have opted for the "dev" builds) there's an error with the UserIDs (wrong number of digits/wrong calculated/whatever) that kicks in the above "protection", so as soon one of these users joins a server, EVERYONE on that server is turned into a bird... it could have been: everyone crashes, or everyone has a black screen showing a ERROR CODE message, or anything like this: it won't change the result >> IT IS A BUG .. and it will be solved today. This is the purpose of the alpha.

If it won't be fixed by today.. you can start to moan then.

That's all fine and dandy, but we are NOT spawning as seagulls! We are spawning into the slots we have selected playing the game, and idiots are using trainer type software to turn people into seagulls. We are not spawned into birds at game start! If you truely played the game, you would have seen this. The game is totally unplayable as of the moment. I have just disconnected because I can't find a server where this is not happening. I am so upset it's just beyond words! I expect CTD's, and I expect lost sessions and bugs, but I do not expect the Alpha 3 to be this unplayable! I'm so angry right now, I don't even think a prozac would help me at this point! Not that Bohemia cares in the slightest or they would have jumped on this issue the hour it started happening. If you want to improve the game, start reading the comments of people who are paying to beta test YOUR games, and don't just provide us a place to place a comment, in which case we are directed through some indirect comment through board personnel who manage the website. Your loosing gamers Bohemia, and perhaps that was the goal of this incident, perhaps it's an attack from a competitor, wouldn't suprise me, but I assure you it's not some stupid game bug, as I'm told. I'm 42 years old, and I'm not that stupid. If you want to continue losing gamers, then continue doing nothing, and I'll never buy another Bohemia game ever again, and I've been faithful since Operation Flashpoint.

Not been funny harold, but thats a bit over the top. You did make ma laugh though, we all have these moments dont we, me as well :-)

its an alpha and has been out for 1 week. In that 1 week there has been at least 2 updates

This is a bug not a script kiddie, it occured yesterday when the latest dev was released

I run a server and have been doing for well over 10 years

I am in contact with a lot of other server admins and have a wider view on this than you do. Your blinkered view is getting the better of you. How do you think every server having the same issue can be caused by a hacker/script kiddie (Private servers/passworded servers etc)

As for "If you truly played the game". How would I know all this if I didn't.? I shut the server down last night because of this bug, spoiling what was turning out to be a good gaming session. Tonight we will be playing again, why dont you come and join some of us oldies (See signature file)

By the way i am older than you.

You need to chill out a bit m8 and stop making wild accusations. If you cannot stand the heat of the Alpha, go play something else and come back when we reach beta. Dont go getting a heart attack over it:)

This is the BEST initial release of a game BIS has ever done in the series (This is the 4th in the series). Up to yesterday many players were enjoying fairly stable Alpha gaming

and they like we dont work 24/7 especially to fix an alpha bug apart from Dwarden i think, he never seems to go to sleep

I do however have 1 suggestion.

When something like this occurs, a BIS moderator could do any or all of the following

1) issue a Forum Global announcement statement that is visible in every forum

2) send out a mass email

3) Have some form of pop up window that informs you of a gamestopper like this when you log in.

This would then hopefully stop the 2 tickets being raised in the feedback module, and the 8 or so forum threads that have been started for this issue and stop "Reactions" like you had and stop rumours spreading that arent true

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

There is a new DEV build perhaps they have fixed it already

Version: 0.5.102571

Edited by Terox

[/color]There is a new DEV build perhaps they have fixed it already

Version: 0.5.102571

It's a rollback while they fix it.. anyway the problem should be mitigate now, as soon it spreads around and a proper fix will be released.

Now this seems odd because we used yesterday for quite long and we even tested it to be working. It completely blocked players without the latest dev version of playing and we played for hours.

requiredBuild=102980;

this was in the server.cfg of the server.

Now this seems odd because we used yesterday for quite long and we even tested it to be working. It completely blocked players without the latest dev version of playing and we played for hours.

requiredBuild=102980;

this was in the server.cfg of the server.

requiredBuild is really requiredMinBuild, so it may works for the server running the dev build, but the (huge) problem were about the "dev" users joining the "std" servers. Btw this has been temporary fixed (rollback) until a proper solution.

requiredBuild="102980";

is the correct wording not requiredminbuild and it works. Atleast worked yesterday when that build was still up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Would be great though having a list of Servers running on stable Channels and others running on Dev Channels. Atleast til the final release where all those bird issues and bugs are gone anyways

requiredBuild="102980";

is the correct wording not requiredminbuild and it works. Atleast worked yesterday when that build was still up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Please read carefully what i've typed.. i've said it should really be called "min" ... nor that requiredMinBuild exists, the correct label name is: "requiredBuild" *BUT* it means: "Minimum build required", and for our case it doesn't works because it is about the "dev" users joining the "std" server causing anyone turning into a bird.

We really need a method to restrict the EXACT build number on join... so making "requiredBuild" really what it says: "exact build required" (and not minimum build required).

Got it?

We really need a method to restrict the EXACT build number on join... so making "requiredBuild" really what it says: "exact build required" (and not minimum build required).

Got it?

Just like my words :p