Sign in to follow this  
lepletier

"Dedicated Server" Turning every player into a seagull?!

I'm running a dedicated server for some friends, rented at NFOservers servers.

Everything was fine until last night, now everyone entering the server, are transformed into a seagull. Sometimes just coming in and sometimes a few minutes after entering the server.

Is this a bug? (I remember on A1 and A2, theres a protection thing related to the seagull thing, about nocd's, cracked exe's and etc)

I see that this has happened on other servers, not seen any official topic here in the forum, so I decided to create this.

All players trying to enter the server, which happens to be password protected, bought the ARMA3 Alpha, I'm hosting the server by following the instructions in this topic:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

Any info on this?

*this is a translated text, sorry for any thing wrong on the text.

I thought it was hackers, but if it happens on your dedicated server with password then maybe its a bug?

It happens on every server I join, sometimes I play for 5 min and then turns into a seagull. And sometimes I play fine for 10 min. So I don't really know about this. But if more dedicated server owners can confirm this maybe?

Or maybe you have given the password away to a hacker or is it only your friends playing on it?

I think this may of been the development patch.

Theres have been a development patch?

My steam have the update option on automatic... but the server runs offline, gonna try put online there to check for update.

ty for your feedback!

Thanks!

I already opt in... my client and the server. Lets test...

We are having the same problem on our server. We noticed that it is a problem with people joining, with a strange ID.

Normal player joining:

(id=82249XXX) [XXX randomzied last three numbers]

Player ID, causing problems:

(id=76561198042717XXX)

I tried to join with and without the development patch, no changes to my 8 number ID.

Yes we are seeing the same thing. There will be a 13-15 long uid and when i try to copy it it turns into somthign like this

(id=19:05:12).

The ID is not showing on the server and also my server console keeps resetting and all the info inside it is gone.

Well guys, i updated the server with the dev build, no more seagulls! :)

solved.

Copied from Multiplayer forums

There is also a post about this in these forums, just a few threads down

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149456-Seagull-bug-caused-by-devbuild-0-5-102980

If you have been playing on the MP servers over the last few hours or so you will have noticed that you may have been spawning as a seagull at the start of missions.

The facts

This issue started roughly when the latest development build (0.5.102980 dev) was made available and is widespread over a lot of servers.

logic dictates that this is going to be an engine bug not some script kiddie or hacker.

Fortunately there is a Server admin Skype channel, where this type of information can be discussed relatively quickly.

The general conscenus of this channel is:

If a client running the latest development build of arma3 connects to a server, they will cause a bug to occur which spawns players as seagulls.

So to re-iterate, this is highly suspected of being an engine bug nothing more.

BIS are aware of this and i would suspect this will be a priority for them when they start work in the morning

There are rumours that this is caused by cheaters/hackers/script kiddies.

If you don't know how to prove these suspicions or cannot prove them please don't spread malicious rumours which does nobody any good.

If you don't know how to run the Development version and want too, this is how you do it

1) Open Steam

2) Select library

3) Right click on ArmA3 & select properties

4) Select Beta tab

in the drop down box, select "development-Development Build"

ArmA3 will then automatically update if it isnt running

If in the future you want to revert to a stable build, simply undo the option and the ArmA3 version will roll back to the last stable

i don't think the alpha updates should be optional, at least during the alpha stage.

If your server is on the stable build and someone joins using the dev build, they will have an empty lobby GUI screen and if they press enter to get into the game it will turn everyone into seagulls. Make sure that you are running the same build as the server you are joining.

If your server is on the stable build and someone joins using the dev build, they will have an empty lobby GUI screen and if they press enter to get into the game it will turn everyone into seagulls. Make sure that you are running the same build as the server you are joining.

Noticed the same. As there are actually no "real" dedicated server the clients and server need the same version to run fine.....more or less ;)