Sign in to follow this  
whisky

Custom Face

:yay:

Hey everyone reading this thread :D

I've managed to edit a couple of files regarding custom faces, one being the male rvmat.

Here's a before and after shot (hopefully linked correctly)

http://i.imgur.com/ugHO5Rl.jpg

As you can see, providing the piccie works, left is the original rvmat, with all its glossiness, the browns that should be black and the overall see-thru/general washed out look.

However :D. The picture on the right is the edited rvmat, looks a LOT better to me.

Custom face made with an existing extracted face, and....I think it was some helmet texture, also ingame.

A Very Happy BusStopWilly

Care to make a ticket about that with the solution so BIS could fix it?

Hi, without have the ArmA3... i would say that the problem is the .rvmat, just as in the ArmA2; where the darker colours wasn't 1:1, the black was brownish and some more things. The blue thing is (i guess) because as "custom face" on the head model selection in game, don't have "legs.paa/legs.jpg", "arms.paa/arms.jpg" attached or linked to the "custom face" in the config of this one. All this is a guess, not a fact.

There're two hands textures because one for you to see it in 1St person and the other one is for be seen from outside, 3Rd person view, from the command view or just by another players when they look at your character; on the ArmA & ArmA2 the hands were on the same .jpg than the face, is as if they didn't had worked on the character customization chapter... the arms & legs are on on the ArmA3, in the same texture because it couldn't take less than 100Kb in 512x512 if this were this way; but placing legs and arms on other files, mean that you've to three 100Kb files to upload to the server and this one then, share with the players on the server?! (let's not forget that the ArmA [i think] and the ArmA2 for sure, re-upload to you your own custom face too, wich is silly if you ask me... ) in the same way that it uploaded to you the custom sounds used by other players (once that they played 'em) and also the scripts or at least some; so you could end with cheats/hacks because the aceptance or the enabling of other files in the Player folder instead just .jpg files. Maybe they're tired of the suckers that do custom faces for free... or maybe they just didn't had a solid concept of what and how the ArmA3 should have been, who knows... . Let's C ya

One thing I was thinking they could do is have a custom per race, so the custom keeps the race's colouration on their arms and legs meanwhile having the bonus of different facial structures for custom face users to play with.

Not all people have a head shaped like they come from Cz. :P

Someone please put the .rvmat issue and the suggestions on how to improve custom faces on the feedback tracker.

Suggestion DARKEN your final face.jpg quite heavily for it to show up in game clearly. PAINT.net is a good free paint program.

I'm afraid it's more of a workaround than a fix, with the fix itself causing problems when the injury layer is applied.

http://imgur.com/a/QieEp#1

I'm trying a few more configurations, slowly. Just started working on a helmet with the above screenie in mind :D

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly
Problem 'solved' link to mod added

I've put it in the Arma 3 folder but I can't see Custom face anywhere.

Edit: Managed to get it to work by now I'm blue :)

Edited by MadMuzza

I'm afraid it's more of a workaround than a fix, with the fix itself causing problems when the injury layer is applied.

http://imgur.com/a/QieEp#1

I'm trying a few more configurations, slowly. Just started working on a helmet with the above screenie in mind :D

BSW

**Edit**

I've zipped up my work so far, 'fixed' the injury layer problem and indoor/shadow problem I had too.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/426740/Custom%20Face%20Mod.zip

Readme included, easy enough to install.

In multiplayer the players will still see the light face and blue skin, because they don't have the mod, so yeah, the mod is kinda useless now.

In multiplayer the players will still see the light face and blue skin, because they don't have the mod, so yeah, the mod is kinda useless now.

Ah, well, there goes all those late nights of testing and editing and re-testing. Thanks for letting me know all my hard work is useless.

If anyone out there can make anything useful from my 'rubbish' feel free to help out. I imagine it needs signing and binarizing?

Shouldn't be difficult for someone who knows how to, then it can be 'properly' hosted (Armaholic?) and used as a workaround on multiplayer servers.

If everyone used it, and it was server-side too....no more blue skins till BIS fix the problem.

Thanks? You're welcome.

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly
Not had a smoke yet.

It's not useless, it clearly points out a glitch in the rvmat settings that BIS can then fix officially and roll out in a patch at some point so that your mod is no longer necessary and everyone has the ability to use custom face.jpg etc. To the person who said it is useless now, it really isn't useless.

Thanks BSW for the time you've put into the troubleshooting, now let's see what BIS will do with your findings mate.

Regards,

Austin.

No worries, I've enjoyed it. Like I pointed out, it's more of a workaround than a fix, it overwrites and uses an existing .rvmat so probably knackers it up a bit for other models (just the first male head). The best solution would be to use a custom named rvmat in config instead of using one the other classes/chars use. Easily correctable from what I've done already.

*edit*

Have managed to sign the addon now, don't know if correctly or not though, I'm quite the noob with A2/3 modding and trying to read as much as possible. Cannot binarize it though without losing the .rvmat file, it works without binarization so I don't know if this matters or not.

This should help (I think), the servers would now be able to allow the addon as it's signed. I'll try to get more done tomorrow, bit busy IRL at the mo'.

So...in the next couple of days I should be able to upload an updated version (modified the rvmat a little again) which is signed and useable on multiplayer servers, provided the host has the addon. I THINK that's how it works, hopefully someone can shed a light on it.

Also hope to...get this finished, checked and hosted at Armaholic for everyone to use. Don't know how to do that yet though either :D

It's coming...slowly :D

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly

Suggestion DARKEN your final face.jpg quite heavily for it to show up in game clearly. PAINT.net is a good free paint program.

The texture will still appear bleached out, especially if you receive direct light onto your face. In the shade the custom face textures work out better.

Just making the face texture darker is a shitty workaround and will look bad.

As a temporary measure it works for me & a few other LoL Clowns. shows in MPlay online.

Back of neck on a sunny day... http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/248/15189294.jpg (108 kB)

A link to the [LoL] ArmA OFP website forum chat re; faces & stuff.

http://www.nakedsquid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=ee9ca064fa1dacca92124522f1f4f3f2

Edited by jgaz-uk

How can I port arma 2 official faces to arma 3?

Wanted the Ondra M. face.

Is there an good Tutorial how to make ur own face into this template? From the beginnig how i have to take the pictures until how to get it into the template texture?

Thank u very much!

The mod BusStopWilly is fine.

But a guy who has a black face and sets the @rvmat for black skin is necessarily see friends who uses a custom face with a black body.

The real solution is that it is set up the equivalent of the face but for the body, a body.jpg. In Arma2 a leg and arm are present in face.jpg.

It is unfortunate that since the Arma 2 custom face renders more as well as in the Armed assault. In Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead significant improvements had been made. And then we find ourselves in a worse situation because without the mod @rvmat customization is not only translucent but also we have the arms and legs blue. For simulation it kills the immersion.

Sorry for google trad :)

Yes, the problem could be solved if only B.I. would tell us what to name the hand/legs in our profile folder. Addon can then be slightly altered to incorporate the custom arms/legs. Or B.I. could just use my custom rvmat settings for custom faces. The benefit of that is custom faces now look great again and everyone seems happy with that.

I will (soon) release a signed version which should be an improvement for multiplayer. PC broken at moment, waiting on a new mobo to be fitted and apparently that means a re-install of windows so I'm gonna lose all B.I. tools and mods:(

Hopefully the more people use the addon, the more popular it'll get.

BSW

I had a look inside ArmA3.exe, searching for traces of how it deals with face.*

This came up:

b¢R.face.jpg....face.paa....\players\...$...*.*.\sound\.È`..à.@.$æP.ò@.p`..,µR.

Searching for more .jpg instances came up with nothing, so i don´t think adding body.jpg/.paa or legs.jpg/.paa is possible atm.

BI, some insight please? :(

Yes, the problem could be solved if only B.I. would tell us what to name the hand/legs in our profile folder.

Findings above still haven´t changed.

There is no filename BI could tell us, they have to implement it first.

Findings above still haven´t changed.

There is no filename BI could tell us, they have to implement it first.

.rdata:013390B4 aFace_jpg       db 'face.jpg',0
.rdata:013390BD                 align 10h
.rdata:013390C0 aFace_paa       db 'face.paa',0
.rdata:013390C9                 align 4
.rdata:013390CC aPlayers        db '\players\',0
.rdata:013390D6                 align 4
.rdata:013390D8                 db '$',0
.rdata:013390DA                 align 4
.rdata:013390DC a_              db '*.*',0
.rdata:013390E0 aSound          db '\sound\',0
.rdata:013390E8                 dd offset unk_14E22E4

I'd suggest you to try face.jpg in \players\

If that fails convert it to paa.

Edit:

Can't find any references to face.jpg/face.paa, being loaded in-game. I'd say it's not in the game code at the moment.

.rdata:013390B4 aFace_jpg       db 'face.jpg',0
.rdata:013390BD                 align 10h
.rdata:013390C0 aFace_paa       db 'face.paa',0
.rdata:013390C9                 align 4
.rdata:013390CC aPlayers        db '\players\',0
.rdata:013390D6                 align 4
.rdata:013390D8                 db '$',0
.rdata:013390DA                 align 4
.rdata:013390DC a_              db '*.*',0
.rdata:013390E0 aSound          db '\sound\',0
.rdata:013390E8                 dd offset unk_14E22E4

I'd suggest you to try face.jpg in \players\

If that fails convert it to paa.

Edit:

Can't find any references to face.jpg/face.paa, being loaded in-game. I'd say it's not in the game code at the moment.

Faces are already coded in, and working (although my mod makes 'em better ;)) right there from your A3 (and A2) profile folders (As they always were) . It's the custom textureHL that covers the arms and legs that we're looking for at the mo'.

Link to custom face rvmat and thread here and at Armaholic.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153429-Custom-face-colours-fix-addon

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=21979

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly

Hello.

Where are you with the signing of RVMAT mod?

At the moment it is quite difficult to find a server that accepts. And see the blue arms/leg and the custom face transparent is a little disappointing.

Bis having left the ticket (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5758) on the Reviewed status, I do not count less on improving them as a signature mod rvmat. :)

Hello.

Where are you with the signing of RVMAT mod?

At the moment it is quite difficult to find a server that accepts. And see the blue arms/leg and the custom face transparent is a little disappointing.

Bis having left the ticket (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5758) on the Reviewed status, I do not count less on improving them as a signature mod rvmat. :)

I can generate a .bisign file when I pack it, is that all that's needed?

Ive also done one for Arma2OA :D http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155346-Custom-Face-Colour-Fix-addon-For-Arma2

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly