Sign in to follow this  
whisky

Custom Face

I don't understand how ya'll are doing this. I put in my profile to the right location just as you all say. Nothing in the face selection area. I even downloaded jgaz-uk's picture he did and nothing. So what are you doing that I'm not. I did my documents>ArmA 3 Alpha - Other Profiles> Venom and nothing happens in game. No custom face or anything. Ive tried .jpg files, .paa files and no luck.

Edit:Also tried AlexVestins picture for the OP. Nothing. What Am I missing?

Silly question: are you choosing the face in the ingame options? Options -> Profiles -> Edit Profiles -> "Custom Face"

I don't understand how ya'll are doing this. I put in my profile to the right location just as you all say. Nothing in the face selection area. I even downloaded jgaz-uk's picture he did and nothing. So what are you doing that I'm not. I did my documents>ArmA 3 Alpha - Other Profiles> Venom and nothing happens in game. No custom face or anything. Ive tried .jpg files, .paa files and no luck.

Edit:Also tried AlexVestins picture for the OP. Nothing. What Am I missing?

For others still wondering, here's a simple tutorial:

1. Download or make an appropriate texturefile yourself.

2. Name it face.jpg and make sure that it's actually a jpeg file and no larger than 100kb.

3. Place the texture file in your "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha".

4. Start ArmA3 and go to Options > Profile > Then edit your profile and select "Custom face".

But right now, nobody here knows how to get rid of the Mr.Blue bug.

Edited by AlexVestin

So can we use our A2 custom faces, or is the model too different?

Silly question: are you choosing the face in the ingame options? Options -> Profiles -> Edit Profiles -> "Custom Face"
Thats exactly what I did.

So can we use our A2 custom faces, or is the model too different?

Short answer:

No. No ArmA2 faces.

Long answer:

The models is different with a different texture layout. But if you're familiar with Photoshop or GIMP you can actually fit in some of the parts.

Eyes can probably just be copied over. But not arms and hands. Most of the faces will need to be repainted.

Someone needs to make a quick video to show EXACTLY how to do it. I've had people give about 3 different explanations for how its done and not one has worked for me.

It's always been this way:

2. Name it face.jpg and make sure that it's actually a jpeg file and no larger than 100kb.

3. Place the texture file in your "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha".

4. Start ArmA3 and go to Options > Profile > Then edit your profile and select "Custom face".

Not posting it again just to repeat myself and be annoying, but it's actually very simple to do it. 1234.

You could try downloading this texture file too just to try: http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8458/facer.jpg

Follow the steps above very carefully.

The texture file I linked you to got renamed when uploaded, so just make sure you save it as "face.jpg"

Now this time around with ArmA3, something seems to have changed.

I'm not aware of how to do 100% correctly for ArmA3, but soon it'll probably be a way revealed.

Edited by AlexVestin

I only ask because the instructions you have put on here don't work.

4DIxN4W.png

Is this the correct location?

I've also done it in Other profiles.

None of this has worked.

Just read above...

Is there already a list of faces for A3 that can be setup with

description.ext:

class CfgIdentities {

class id0 {
	name    = "Max Power";
	face    = "Default";
	glasses = "None";
	speaker = "Male01EN";
	pitch   = 1.00;
};
};

and

unit setidentity "id0";

?

Edited by RogueTrooper

Has anyone got a better template yet ?

I get this issue with the one posted here

XjQwwOS.jpg

Has anyone got a better template yet ?

I get this issue with the one posted here

http://i.imgur.com/XjQwwOS.jpg

I've got one better updated version. Just haven't released it yet.

The wireframe does not cover all faces correctly at the edges I've noticed.

edit:

I updated the PSD file. It's there now in the same link. Should work a little better.

Edited by AlexVestin

Hi all

First of all, thanks to Alex, for their hard work.

I followed all the steps in previous posts, but multiplayer still appears blue man in arms and legs.

It is probably because the game is in alpha, but I'll keep this post in case there is any imminent solution.

Greetings to all

I've got one better updated version. Just haven't released it yet.

The wireframe does not cover all faces correctly at the edges I've noticed.

edit:

I updated the PSD file. It's there now in the same link. Should work a little better.

where is the psd file, im having the same issue as shadow but i cant see the link... but thankyou in advance for the initial image, i have been looking for hours on how to make a custom skin

If you are running ArmA3 Development then as of 15/03/13 face changes have been apparently disabled by Bohemia. See link don't know why they didn't say. So probably best to forget about it for a while?:(

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4949

Correction; Just rechecked custom face still works but all faces in the options are just black silhouette at the moment so cant see what they or it looks like.

=================================

UPDATE Black Silhouette now gone all working again.

suggestion DARKEN your final face.jpg quite heavily for it to show up in game clearly

Edited by jgaz-uk
correction

hey everyone, ive been a fan of the custom face capability for a while now the only problem is i have a transparency issue with my custom made skins, i have a msi nividia gtx 660ti, i have tried converting it to .paa but to no avail. if anyone has a solution to this this would be a great help

but this is not my main problem. i have recently made a skin for my character in the arma 3 alpha and despite the transparent face i also have another issue with my characters body... somehow he has managed to go all... well alien..(greeny blue colour)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48063842/arma3%202013-03-15%2021-44-11-40.jpg (199 kB) :P

what am i doing wrong?

do i have to create another texture for the arms and legs??

Edited by Desai92

where is the psd file, im having the same issue as shadow but i cant see the link... but thankyou in advance for the initial image, i have been looking for hours on how to make a custom skin

Here is everything available right now:

Textured version > Click here <

Wireframe version > Click here <

Photoshop file > Click here <

PSD file contains everything +

Backup layer,

Help text layer,

28 different faces!

hey everyone, ive been a fan of the custom face capability for a while now the only problem is i have a transparency issue with my custom made skins, i have a msi nividia gtx 660ti, i have tried converting it to .paa but to no avail. if anyone has a solution to this this would be a great help

but this is not my main problem. i have recently made a skin for my character in the arma 3 alpha and despite the transparent face i also have another issue with my characters body... somehow he has managed to go all... well alien..(greeny blue colour)

(pictures to follow as i cant use links since im a new member) :P

what am i doing wrong?

do i have to create another texture for the arms and legs??

Hi mate,

Custom faces haven't worked properly since Arma1 (so I read somewhere). From my own personal experience I have the same problem as you and everyone else, washed out colours, black shows as brown and overall very glossy.

I did have hope for Arma 3 with this issue, it was fixed for a few models in TakeOnHelis which made for some great skinning practice but sadly isn't working in Arma3.

If B.I. wanted Arma to be as mod-friendly as they claim, this should be the first thing they fix, skinning a new face is a great way to get into modding! People LOVE custom modded stuff, armaholic is proof of that, some people like it genuine, some fictional.

Having this working would open the doors to more custom Camo' options for the purists, the individual or a clan.

BSW

Hi mate,

Custom faces haven't worked properly since Arma1 (so I read somewhere). From my own personal experience I have the same problem as you and everyone else, washed out colours, black shows as brown and overall very glossy.

I did have hope for Arma 3 with this issue, it was fixed for a few models in TakeOnHelis which made for some great skinning practice but sadly isn't working in Arma3.

If B.I. wanted Arma to be as mod-friendly as they claim, this should be the first thing they fix, skinning a new face is a great way to get into modding! People LOVE custom modded stuff, armaholic is proof of that, some people like it genuine, some fictional.

Having this working would open the doors to more custom Camo' options for the purists, the individual or a clan.

BSW

ahhh thanks for that info, its a shame. allthough i have one issue... i have seen videos on youtube from players like Beaglerush, chkilroy etc that use the custom skins on Arma 2 and they have full detail how is that :/

in arma 2 and even 1 they actually worked quite well.

I agree, my custom face for ArmA 2 is really HD. I save it as a tif picture so it doesn't lose any quality then I make it a paa. I find it that it can't process the file that well if it isn't a paa

Alright, I feel really foolish here, trying to make this happen. I've been playing on and off since the OFP demo.

Let's assume for arguments sake, I'm a total retard when it comes to this stuff.

How would I go about, from very start to the very end, bringing MY face into the game, onto a model? For A3 and even A2. I mean, fom the pictures and how I take them, all the way to me clicking the mission start button to see me, and my friends in the game. It's probably a lot to put all in one post, and I imagine I'm going to have people send me in other directions of other posts, I'm going to get lost, and quit in frustration, but lets try this anyways. And preferably with a focus on A3.

Once again then, working for all ArmA games:

Still. It's not working properly for A3 yet. Not that I know of yet anyway.

You'll need som knowledge on how to obtain a correct facemap to use as textures.

I've linked some in this thread for ArmA3, there's lots of others around for other ArmA games.

Edited by AlexVestin

i think the most difficult thing when taking the photos (if you want to make it properly) is you have to take photos from different angles and then fit them together part by part. i also have much problems to get the right skin colour to fit with the colour of my face template^^

i wish there was an easier way the get your own face into arma... but you definately require some photo editing skills and a good program.

:yay:

Hey everyone reading this thread :D

I've managed to edit a couple of files regarding custom faces, one being the male rvmat.

Here's a before and after shot (hopefully linked correctly)

http://i.imgur.com/ugHO5Rl.jpg

As you can see, providing the piccie works, left is the original rvmat, with all its glossiness, the browns that should be black and the overall see-thru/general washed out look.

However :D. The picture on the right is the edited rvmat, looks a LOT better to me.

Custom face made with an existing extracted face, and....I think it was some helmet texture, also ingame.

A Very Happy BusStopWilly