Sign in to follow this  
Dimebag

Should i buy this game, or should i wait atleast for the beta ?

Hey guys, as you can see i am new to this game and to the forums, also, before i start please excuse my English because its not that perfect :)

Anyways,

I have looked at some videos on youtube showing Arma III Wasteland, and i have fell in love with the game mod and the game itself, i think that i will enjoy playing this mod (Im not sure if its a mod or not), however, i am not sure if i should buy the game now or atleast wait for the beta, this is becuase its still in 'Alpha' which means that there will be problems with the game aswell and with the servers. (I dont usually play single player, i have never finished the battlefield 3 campaign)

So i have few questions?

1. Is there a lot of problems with the game at the moment ?

2. If i was about to buy this game now, which package would you recommend ? (Alpha, Digital Deluxe Edition, Supporter Edition)

3. Should i wait until summer for the beta ?

4. How would the game react to the PC specs below:

Intel I3 2120

Amd Radeon 6750

4GB Ram

5. How is the situation with hackers?

Thanks

Let me put it this way. Yesterday it was fairly okay, but today I've tried 11 games in a row, different servers. At the most I got 10 minutes on enjoyable gameplay until some scripter turned us all into seagulls. This happened on each and every server I tried within 10 minutes.

There's no anti cheat right now.

So unless you want to be a sitting duck for the hackers that test their scripts in this alpha I'd hold on to my money until you can actually test it.

Buy it now, wait for the beta.

You will save money. :)

Edited by Winfernal

As Winfernal said, buy it now, even if you choose to wait til beta, just for the price cut alone. The alpha is plagued with issues, cheating being a large one, but I'm still enjoying it. Also, I like to test it and make my voice heard on issues I care about in the game.

Hmm, so there isnt an anti cheat, thats pretty hmm... crappy tbh, i might aswell just wait for a bit, or i will buy the alpha later on

Since it's alpha things are supposed to change and get updated frequently and it might be difficult for any anti-cheat to keep itself up to date alongside. I'm sure that's the reason why.

As mentioned there's still fun to be had if you somehow come across a public server without a hacker (I haven't been able to all day, today) or play on a private server with some friends, or a tight knit community that's trustworthy.

For me, having had so much fun since the alpha was released now having invested 38 hours in it, it just saddens and angers me to have these people ruin it all in just one day.

Should i buy this game, or should i wait atleast for the beta ?

let me correct your question :)

Should i contribute to the ALPHA , or should i wait atleast for the beta ?

There are lots of choices but for you i recomend ask for invite for ALPHA lite out on the 14th and then decide wheteher to contribute to alpha :)

To me, it has been worth every penny just because it's something completely new to me. I came from being a long time follower of another franchise and was always hesitant about arma2 due to controls and then i kept seeing talk of arma3 and decided to hold off on arma until it was available. The SP in BF3... I won't even get started on my rant with them but you aren't going to be walking into the same game. This is a thinker game with tactics and teamwork and is a sandbox. If you want to wait for the alpha lite invites to be activated, i personally will send you one of my alpha lite invites and you can judge for yourself.

The big plus, is you can play how you want, and you can make your own missions with AI and everything done the way you want. If you want a flexible environment with mods and custom maps and modes, i think you'll be satisfied. If you're expecting to walk in and replace MP of BF3 with this, it won't have the same pace that you are accustomed to.

As for system specs, i'm not sure you might need to look around and see what most are running. Sorry i just don't have enough experience with the series to know how it performs on various hardware but the info is out there.

let me correct your question :)

There are lots of choices but for you i recomend ask for invite for ALPHA lite out on the 14th and then decide wheteher to contribute to alpha :)

Yeah man, like i said im not English

To me, it has been worth every penny just because it's something completely new to me. I came from being a long time follower of another franchise and was always hesitant about arma2 due to controls and then i kept seeing talk of arma3 and decided to hold off on arma until it was available. The SP in BF3... I won't even get started on my rant with them but you aren't going to be walking into the same game. This is a thinker game with tactics and teamwork and is a sandbox. If you want to wait for the alpha lite invites to be activated, i personally will send you one of my alpha lite invites and you can judge for yourself.

The big plus, is you can play how you want, and you can make your own missions with AI and everything done the way you want. If you want a flexible environment with mods and custom maps and modes, i think you'll be satisfied. If you're expecting to walk in and replace MP of BF3 with this, it won't have the same pace that you are accustomed to.

As for system specs, i'm not sure you might need to look around and see what most are running. Sorry i just don't have enough experience with the series to know how it performs on various hardware but the info is out there.

Thanks man, thats an answer i was looking to really, and to be honest im not expecting any fast paced gameplay, i know it will be time taking, im just curious how its going to turn out, i have never tried 'ARMA' it looks really good.

Man, if you have no problems of sending me one of the 'alpha lite' thingy dingys then i would be hugely greatful, i would love to try out this game before actually buying it.

Just be aware that the Alpha Lite invites only let you play the four single-player Showcase missions and use the Editor -- but you cannot save or load missions in the Editor, and you cannot play in multiplayer at all.

The game is awesome at the moment. I cannot wait until they polish it as well as DayZ standalone coming out this is like a teaser.

The alpha is fairly cheap now and comes with the beta and full game. Even buying it now and not playing it for months, I think you'll be getting a decent deal.

Bird bug is a bug.

If you want to help shape the game, and be an important part in helping to test, then get the alpha (at a much reduced price, which then turns into the full game latterly). If you don't, don't.

Can I just ask, If you buy the Alpha does your game then update to the beta then the full game through steam without extra cost?

Can I just ask, If you buy the Alpha does your game then update to the beta then the full game through steam without extra cost?

Yes it does.

Yes indeed, that is correct.

You get game cheaper and BIS get the money in the bank to keep the Lads and Lassies paid. Everyone is a winnah.

You can save 15€ if you buy it now, it will be more expensive when the beta starts according to the buy page!

I find this table very useful http://www.arma3.com/buy

note that the price will raise

the earlier you buy it, the lower is the cost

And if you can even wait a little longer after lets, say...3 patches, the price will drop again.

If you're the kind of person who can sit down and spend an hour just looking at the controls for a new game then alpha will be a blast for you. If you need your hand held (not meant as an insult, some people are fine with jumping in head first and some aren't) then there is none of that yet. Alpha has everything you need to have fun in Arma, but you're going to have to teach your self most of it and fight some bugs to get to it occasionally. If you're not easily deterred then go ahead and hop right in, otherwise wait for beta or the finished product. Of course you can order now if you want to support BIS. The game's not going to get any cheaper and you don't have to participate in testing just because you pre-order.

If you do order, remember that purchases through Bohemia give them a larger share than purchases through Valve. The game is a Steam exclusive so you'll get a Steam copy either way.

You're not really buying the Alpha, you're preordering the game for when it releases and getting to test earlier builds as a bonus. You can see what each tier of preorder includes here (though I do wish BIS had labelled the first tier as something other than just "Alpha").

Edited by Fuse

Buy the game, support the developers. You will be getting Alpha, Beta and final release for discounted price.

Let me put it this way. Yesterday it was fairly okay, but today I've tried 11 games in a row, different servers. At the most I got 10 minutes on enjoyable gameplay until some scripter turned us all into seagulls. This happened on each and every server I tried within 10 minutes.

There's no anti cheat right now.

So unless you want to be a sitting duck for the hackers that test their scripts in this alpha I'd hold on to my money until you can actually test it.

This happened to us yesterday too and i took a screenshot with the guys name on it.

All games have their ups and downs from an alpha as you will get a lot of people testing stuff, hackers doing what they do, but If you really want to enjoy the game for what it is and say man the Game has changed so much from when it started in alpha and so on as it goes threw its stages of testing.

This happened to us yesterday too and i took a screenshot with the guys name on it.

Players can (and do) change their names at will. The name doesn't tell you anything.

Besides, as has been stated in about 437 threads in the past 24 hours, the seagull thing is a bug not a hacker.