hellstorm77

Arma 3 Headless Client

Can someone explain what a headless client is?

It's a client side of the game that only calculates the AI. This enables you to use 2 cores for Game Calculations and 2 cores for the AI calculation. Increasing game performance.

So you run this on the server box next to the server?

Yes, you can run it on the Dedicated Server (as what I do).

With A3 currently you still need your mission designer to create a slot for the HC (this part is over my head as I don't make missions)

Note:

1) The HC 'client' will require a 'paid' license of the game in order to function.

2) If you are connecting to the DS from the same machine, and also have the HC configured on the DS - You can't join as a 'playing' client. Especially if trying to use the same license.

[summary]

* Dedicated Server = No license required

* Headless Client (this can be setup on the Dedicated Server) = Requires a license

* Can't run another client (say it's YOU connecting) from the same system (requires a license but I don't think you can have 2 licenses running from the same system; or it just fails with BE kicks - Something along those lines anyhow) - Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by LondonLad

Is there a test mission to confirm I have headless working ok on my server ?

Todays dev update appears to break the Headless client. It will no longer connect. Please can someone who also runs one please verify.

Type: Public

Branch: Development

Version: 1.03.110304

*** PLEASE IGNORE *** It seems it was a steam ticket timeout issue on my HC preventing connection.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Are you serious BI? I do not buy a second account because you are not able to programm a performant server and give us this workaround? Are you kidding us?

unbelivable... really...

I went ahead, pulled together the different sources on DAC from this board (no credit to me on that end) and made a simple ArmA 3 Headless Client test.

The HC feature is parameterized, enable this before loading the map as admin to notice a great difference in performance. Note you will lag in the end, this mission runs up to 1000+ AI when both sides are spawned. Step close to the boat to get the baddies to spawn.

Demo map: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mhjsycsg21yr9fj/a3_hc_test.Stratis.pbo

1st half is without HC on the graph below. The 2nd half is with HC. Its 500 AI the max+ (the graph caps out around 450 AI spawned)

NtruTOC.png

wVTDhzU.png

Run same mission, before without then with.

Before with #monitor

Around 28 fps, 420 MB used and 3500-3800 Kbps outgoing

After with #monitor and HC

Around 47-48 fps and when they start moving some fps drops around 35-40.

The strange thing is the outgoing traffic. With hc is around 1000-1300 ( max ) Kbps

1/3 than before :eek:

dedicated server, hetzner ex40ssd, windows 2012 R2

But I've made many twaks :p

Later I will try on my local.

Have you noticed the difference outgoing traffic too?

Can't say I measured it. I used Server 2012. What kind of CPU?

I'm considering to get a i7-4930k for a new dedicated and clock it to 4.5GHz, based on the assumption that ArmA server will use two cores, ArmA client will use two cores, then two cores for OS + network.

Quick question, anyone else noticed issues with the HC not connecting in latest stable?

My environment has not changed other than the update last week.

Edited by Inch
typo

The HC is getting kicked off for "BattlEye Corrupt Data #5" or something, does anyone know how to fix this?

Dirty Haz

Our hc is still dying about a minute after another player jips. Is this normal?

The HC is getting kicked off for "BattlEye Corrupt Data #5" or something, does anyone know how to fix this?

Dirty Haz

I've got this one too as soon as I try to launch more than one HC.

Can someone give me some insight into the current HC situation? Do you still need multiple steam instances running with multiple arma 3 installations/keys?

Any other problems right now or have you experienced a solid improvement of server fps on missions with many AI?

Hc= another cdkey; bis seems to "don't see" the problem ( €€€ ) ;)

About HC... I speak about my personal experience.. ATM HC is useless in allday coop ( 100-200 AI ) with 20-30 players... Didn't test with more player ( can't )... If I increase the AI number ( 500-600 AI ) with HC there's a big improvement but only in fps serverside... By now there's something that cap client's fps... If server is still at more than 40 fps, a rock solid client start to drown.. There's a hudge fps drop, even if AI are spawned 20 km away and also with viewdistance to 100 meters... Let's see that happens with the next update...