hellstorm77

Arma 3 Headless Client

(1) Enable multiple A3 launches per install. Create a txt file called steam_appid.txt and put 107410 in it and save

Steam_appid.txt

(2) put this somewhere in your server.cfg file localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

(3) create a shortcut to A3 and add this to the end of target -localhost=127.0.0.1 -connect=localhost -port=PORTNUMBER -client -nosound (change the portnumber same port as the server)

Server.cfg

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname         = "";        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list[/font]

//password         = "";                // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin         = "";                // Password to become server admin. 

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("Join Us On Teamspeak Voice.dedicatedrejects.com")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"Welcome ",
   "",
   "Teamspeak ",
   "",
   "Website",
};
motdInterval = 5;                         // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers          = 40;                // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers     = 1;             // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold         = 0.33;          // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN         = 0;                   // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality     = 8;             // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent         = 0;                    // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

//HC
localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

class Missions 
{ 
   class COOP 
   { 
       template="mission name"; 
       difficulty="regular"; 
   }; 
};

Thanks to zorrobyte

important thread, with 2 solutions to issues with HC client , profiles and BattlEye http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160029-Headless-client-battleye

Edited by Dwarden
  • Like 1

This doesn't seem to work if the server has a password set to allow clients to join the server (at least in my experience) :(

The HC will connect if there is no password set!

One thing I've noticed in the RPT file is a constant SPAM of the following:

Invalid post effect handle.

This updates the RPT by 2KB in size every .5 of a second thus the RPT size gets rather large very quickly!

[Added after posting]

Type: Public Alpha

Branch: Development

Version: 0.11.103003

Edited by LondonLad
Forgot to mention the Build I am currently using

Add to the end of the target for passworded servers?

-localhost=127.0.0.1 -connect=localhost -port=PORTNUMBER -password=PASSWORD -client -nosound

I have added that -password=<password> to the HC setup but it keeps coming back that its invalid (even though the correct password is being used for the shortcut)

I have added that -password=<password> to the HC setup but it keeps coming back that its invalid (even though the correct password is being used for the shortcut)

In your Server.cfg file do you have this -ip (host servers ip)? i had it in mine and the HC wouldnt connect

In your Server.cfg file do you have this -ip (host servers ip)? i had it in mine and the HC wouldnt connect

No I don't have that entry in the sever.cfg file

My HC Connects to my server, I´ll put him into the Civ slot and set parameters to HC... but no enemy spawns... Anyone got a clue? I´m running that Dynamic Sandbox by zorrobyte.

And in v25 are no more Parameters to set (Hybrid HC?).. I´d still would like to have some parameters just to check what currently runs :P

But yeah, I just tested it again, and it appears that no /only a few AI spawn, which is not much when you have like 40 players on the Server hunting for 2 guys in Marina LOL

I'm sure it will be fixed soon i know Zorrobyte is working very work on DWS

i also have "wrong password given" but it is defently correct. No mods in usw.

Server and HC are on the dame dedi Server.

There is no -ip In Server.cfg because its just localhost :)

Hello all I am using Arma 3 server Restarter by thevisad. and I also cannot connect to a passworded server even though I am using the correct password.

Also I have a question about the Auto connection of the AI...

I was under the impression from reading in the past, that the HC auto connects and also auto slot's themself, in their designated slot..(forceHeadlessClient=1).. Am i wrong?? do you always have to manually put the HC in their slot??

i have the unit set up like their suppose to be.. but the HC will not auto connect to the HC slot ..

The headless client does auto connect to the server , just not to the slot!

Hello all I am using Arma 3 server Restarter by thevisad. and I also cannot connect to a passworded server even though I am using the correct password.

Also I have a question about the Auto connection of the AI...

I was under the impression from reading in the past, that the HC auto connects and also auto slot's themself, in their designated slot..(forceHeadlessClient=1).. Am i wrong?? do you always have to manually put the HC in their slot??

i have the unit set up like their suppose to be.. but the HC will not auto connect to the HC slot ..

The headless client does auto connect to the server , just not to the slot!

Hi...

I´m wondering this myself and always have to manually put him into the right slot, but AFAIK there is a bug which prevents the HC to automatically join his HC Slot!

So it would seem there is an issue with using a HC with a Server that has a password set!

Not sure if its something that needs addressing with this .exe or whether it should be addressed when a 'dedicated' server exe is released (although it probably won't be an issue with a 'dedicated' server exe).

From a selfish point of view I'd appreciate it if the BIS Dev's would implement a 'fix' on the current 'client' exe so password servers will allow 'Headless Clients' to connect with the password switch set.

You can now ignore my issue I've encountered with the password, as it's now working (thought I'd retry it again after my original post here on the problem I encountered) :)

You can now ignore my issue I've encountered with the password, as it's now working (thought I'd retry it again after my original post here on the problem I encountered) :)

how did you fix it ? I am getting the wrong password bug..

thanks

yea, wow, just post up you solved it but dont share how... Please, do tell! as i still get the invalid password error...

I'm sorry, as I didn't do anything special other than ensure I was running the latest 'development' version available and to re-type the '-password=' parameter into my shortcut, and to my surprise its working.

My shortcut path and settings

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -client -nosound -port=2302 -profiles=server -name=Col.Chipperfield -localhost=127.0.0.1 -connect=localhost -password=<REMOVED> -mod=@CBA_A3

The above is a shortcut I've created onto my desktop, from the arma3.exe

thanks..I just tested the dev version and the password bug is fixed. I guess we just wait for the migration to alpha.

Hi Guys, I setup the server and headlessclient. HC connects to server - no problem. How do I know if HC works ok ? My server and client windows look like that: http://postimg.org/image/4wgju5wy9/ , I've checked other sites and found: http://sacha.ligthert.net/ARMA/HC_tut/HC_server.png , Client window looks completly different than my. Any advice ?

What do you put in the shortcut to point to the server.cfg?

I'm sorry, as I didn't do anything special other than ensure I was running the latest 'development' version available and to re-type the '-password=' parameter into my shortcut, and to my surprise its working.

My shortcut path and settings

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -client -nosound -port=2302 -profiles=server -name=Col.Chipperfield -localhost=127.0.0.1 -connect=localhost -password=<REMOVED> -mod=@CBA_A3

The above is a shortcut I've created onto my desktop, from the arma3.exe

Does the HC need to load a profile?

I'm having no joy with this at all.

My server install uses my UID, but it's offline in steam all of the time except when updating. I presume the HC uses the same UID when run from the same install. When I try to connect at the same time as the HC, I get kicked.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm having no joy with this at all.

My server install uses my UID, but it's offline in steam all of the time except when updating. I presume the HC uses the same UID when run from the same install. When I try to connect at the same time as the HC, I get kicked.

Am I doing something wrong?

no, as of right now.. And im not to sure about the future of HC. However, again, as of now you cannot use HC with the same account as the player(client). You have to have a completely seperate iteration of the game.. (buy another copy of arma 3) and open a new steam account to do so..

Then and ONLY THEN can you use the HC....

Until this is fixed it is offically ARMA 3's first Downloadable content.. You have to pay to get better MP / COOP performance..

Thanks Lordprimate. This thread is quite confusing, some saying it works, others say it doesn't.

So... suppose that user A (my home account, online at home unless I'm updating the server) has an install of the game to use as a dedicated server and keeps steam offline except for DEV updates, can we make a brand new steam account (user B) and buy the game again AND have that on the same box as the dedi? Would they 'share' game install? Would user B need to steam online all the time?

Our server is quite strong so big coops haven't previously been a problem for us, but we do have clan funds available to do this if needs be.