Dwarden

How to change Arma 3 branches between STABLE & DEVELOPMENT versions @STEAM client

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is the game launcher updating after the game itself, does it update the addons for the main Steam installation and if yes, can I somehow stop it from doing so?

BCGMvs1.png

Is "Game Updater" currently working? I want to have both stable and dev builds of Arma 3.

I have stable branch of Arma 3 through Steam, and tried to install Dev build this morning through Game Updater. It says it's completed installation (and validates correctly), but when I try to load the Arma.exe it's created I get config/class errors and then a DX11 error.

No issues on my end.

Is "Game Updater" currently working? I want to have both stable and dev builds of Arma 3.

I have stable branch of Arma 3 through Steam, and tried to install Dev build this morning through Game Updater. It says it's completed installation (and validates correctly), but when I try to load the Arma.exe it's created I get config/class errors and then a DX11 error.

The config error should be resolved by now. Regarding the DX error, could you try to delete every DLLs in the Arma 3 install directory run Game Updater with the content validation on?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is the game launcher updating after the game itself, does it update the addons for the main Steam installation and if yes, can I somehow stop it from doing so?

BCGMvs1.png

No issues on my end.

Yes, this step has been removed in the dev branch however, yes, once the stdout displays Success!, you can safely exit GU ;)

• Like 1

The config error should be resolved by now. Regarding the DX error, could you try to delete every DLLs in the Arma 3 install directory run Game Updater with the content validation on?

Hi Tom_48_97,

I just ran Game Updater again, then tried Arma.exe and still get the exact same errors (I didn't delete any dll files)

I did however try running arma3launcher.exe in the same directory, which successfully loads the dev branch without errors! The integrated mod management never gets past "Initializing mods management..." though, but for Dev branch I don't need it :)

Will this keep my mods? When I shift back to Stable?

Your mods are considered as game data by Steam, they should remain in the Arma 3 directory.

Hi Tom_48_97,

I just ran Game Updater again, then tried Arma.exe and still get the exact same errors (I didn't delete any dll files)

I did however try running arma3launcher.exe in the same directory, which successfully loads the dev branch without errors! The integrated mod management never gets past "Initializing mods management..." though, but for Dev branch I don't need it :)

Arma 3 copies installed and maintained by Game Updater are not supposed to be ran from Arma3.exe but from Arma3GU.exe. Regarding the mod management, perhaps there's an issue with the launcher because Game Updater skips the content subscribed from the workshop. I will investigate.

Could you, please, host your RPT somewhere and share the link?

The best tactic I used was copying Stable Arma folder to a new folder called original Arma., then using Arma through steam as my dev branch. I launch original arma from the arma 3 launcher in the original folder.

Arma 3 copies installed and maintained by Game Updater are not supposed to be ran from Arma3.exe but from Arma3GU.exe. Regarding the mod management, perhaps there's an issue with the launcher because Game Updater skips the content subscribed from the workshop. I will investigate.

Could you, please, host your RPT somewhere and share the link?

I have created a FT issue and uploaded my RPT files (created by arma3launcher.exe and an arma3.exe instance successfully loaded by it) : http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=26422

Arma 3 Launcher has worked for me like a charm. Always use the launcher from the installed folder. The Arma3GU.exe didn't work with launch parameters or mods or something for me if I remember right.

Also my mods are installed and detected with the launcher. Have you defined the mod installation folder for the launcher because that was added some pathces ago? Maybe you need to set that up first.

The fix for the Arma 3 launcher mod menu works, good stuff. 

I've had some trouble attempting to update my secondary install with Game Updater today, it just repeats this line a while:

Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0)

Then throws this error:

Error! App '107410' state is 0x6 after update job.
Potential causes:
- Loss of internet connection
- Insufficient privilege (0x024)
- Logged in elsewhere (0x006)
- Insufficient hard drive space (0x606)
Error code suggests it's logged in elsewhere, but this method has worked for me up till now. I've also tried while Steam is running in Offline mode with same result.

Good to hear this for the launcher :292:

There is other potential causes to this error, this message box just provides the most recursive, the second for this code is "Corrupted data". A first test would be to run the clean up script (Delete user data.bat) which is located in the Game Updater directory. Then, try to update again. The next up is to re-download Game Updater (by deleting its folder and verifying the cache of the tools via the Steam client).

The last time I encountered this return code, it was because of my anti-virus (and/or firewall) which somehow was altering some packet headers, preventing Game Updater to work correctly. :blink:

Hi again, 

I'm up and running with both builds again, the updater started working again. I made no changes on my end, presumably the main branch updating to 1.54 did something to get it running.  :)

Quick q..

Can i just switch between the two at anytime or do i need

to download more after using the Dev one.?

No idea what happend to text size

Quick q..

Can i just switch between the two at anytime or do i need

to download more after using the Dev one.?

No idea what happend to text size

If you're keeping only one of them at a time with Steam then you need to download every time you switch between branches. The download size really depends and I can't remember which one makes you download more or is it the same Dev -> Main or Main -> Dev. Switching between branches is usually ~0.5-1GB.

So Ive had Tanoa pre-ordered where do I get my beta access code to access the weapons etc.

Tanoa 'Purchase' option only using this method to access the Dev branch. Is this going to be fixed ?

Second installation (game updater) has locked Tanoa unless you have your primary installation (steam library) on dev branch too (which defeats the purpose).
Any word/fix on this? 

Until there is a fix I have just installed the main branch with the official Game Updater and left the development branch activated in Steam.

Good idea, the only issue with this is if you play campaign or want to save progress / continue progress but guess noone plays SP anymore its just MP. :)

but guess noone plays SP anymore its just MP. :)

You could not be more wrong.

• Like 1

Second installation (game updater) has locked Tanoa unless you have your primary installation (steam library) on dev branch too (which defeats the purpose).

Any word/fix on this? 

Some information about this is available in this topic.

Hey Julien,

a few month ago we had a personal conversation about an issue I had with the Game Updater. It wasn't able to login into my Steam account.

The cause for this issue was actually very simple. My password seemed to contain an invalid symbol or it was simply too long.

Here is my old password, maybe you can fix that issue for the future:

Kj=#DTHnQ:0*!=#X(NiK[[/i9Rf1nTxws3$pG§661.lH{#e#cDaf]fQZ))Xf6nhX

Edited by R3vo
wording
  • Like 1

Steam needs 6GB free to switch from stable/profiling to dev, and back, even though it only has to download 680 MB. Makes switching branches a bit hard on SSDs without a lot of free space left...and those two concepts are still mutually exclusive :P