Dwarden

How to change Arma 3 branches between STABLE & DEVELOPMENT versions @STEAM client

Question for BIS:

Is it possible to make the development branch with @beta folder and arma3_beta.exe? In the @beta folder should be the changed pbo-s just like it was in Arma 2.

With this we can start the stable arma with arma.exe and the beta with arma3_beta.exe.

Just to be clear. The dev branch should be the same as the stable, but there should be the @beta folder and the arma3_beta.exe too as an extra content.

I'm guessing that Steam couldn't support such feature. It's more simple to just keep them completely separated.

I don't think it is a feature. You just put there the beta files separated and not in the addon folder. Also i don't think that the steam restrict the file/folder structure and count must be the same as in the stable.

Just read up about this game updater, looks nice and does the job, but still no parallel install in Steam. At least I don't have to download the whole game each time. Thanks!
Good point! Once installed, this installation is independent from Steam, this is why you don't have any link from it. I will investigate on that ;) Meanwhile, you can add it your Steam library as "Non steam game"
Can some kind soul please post an "idiots guide to setting up the Game Updater" please?
This will arrive soon, but I must admit that I'm focused on the code for the moment ;)
same here, clicking OK in the blank popup i get another one saying "Cannot continue, Unable to determine Arma 3 GU path."
how on earth to run it? i have stable in my normal place and then install the dev version in its own directory using game updater. but i get a blank error message every time i try and run armaGU for the arma tools directory?
Same here, is there some other steps I am supposed to follow that are hidden behind some dark magic?
Actually, there is no hidden step, I did some additional dark magic (A least, I hope ^^) and this version (0.13.15.5366) should fix the issue! To explain a bit, Arma3GU was retrieving Arma 3 GU installation from Game Updater settings, but it appears that in some cases, this method can fail. That's the reason why I added an alternate detection method, based on the current directory. In brief, if you get a "unable to determine Arma 3 GU path", you simply need to copy and past Arma3GU.exe into the Arma 3 GU installation directory and run it ;)

Here the new version and its change log: http://tom4897.info/?attachment_id=2611

Arma3GU.exe (part of Game Updater)
Added: detection method of the Arma 3 installation to start
Added: Log file (Arma3GU.log, in Arma3GU.exe directory)
Changed: Improved detection method of the GU installation directory
Changed: Extended output in the GUI
Changed: Relevant data have been added to the readme (Arma3GU.txt)
Fixed: The application does not close after a fatal error
Fixed: False positive "Unable to determine Arma 3 GU path" error

Let me know if this version fixes the issue or not, thanks for your patience and feedback :D

Good point! Once installed, this installation is independent from Steam, this is why you don't have any link from it. I will investigate on that ;) Meanwhile, you can add it your Steam library as "Non steam game"

This will arrive soon, but I must admit that I'm focused on the code for the moment ;)

Actually, there is no hidden step, I did some additional dark magic (A least, I hope ^^) and this version (0.13.15.5366) should fix the issue! To explain a bit, Arma3GU was retrieving Arma 3 GU installation from Game Updater settings, but it appears that in some cases, this method can fail. That's the reason why I added an alternate detection method, based on the current directory. In brief, if you get a "unable to determine Arma 3 GU path", you simply need to copy and past Arma3GU.exe into the Arma 3 GU installation directory and run it ;)

Here the new version and its change log: http://tom4897.info/?attachment_id=2611

Arma3GU.exe (part of Game Updater)
Added: detection method of the Arma 3 installation to start
Added: Log file (Arma3GU.log, in Arma3GU.exe directory)
Changed: Improved detection method of the GU installation directory
Changed: Extended output in the GUI
Changed: Relevant data have been added to the readme (Arma3GU.txt)
Fixed: The application does not close after a fatal error
Fixed: False positive "Unable to determine Arma 3 GU path" error

Let me know if this version fixes the issue or not, thanks for your patience and feedback :D

Ah good! I was getting that error also. Good to know there is a fix. Ty!

works now! thank you very much. now i can run dev without losing stable. sweet.

Question for BIS:

Is it possible to make the development branch with @beta folder and arma3_beta.exe? In the @beta folder should be the changed pbo-s just like it was in Arma 2.

With this we can start the stable arma with arma.exe and the beta with arma3_beta.exe.

Just to be clear. The dev branch should be the same as the stable, but there should be the @beta folder and the arma3_beta.exe too as an extra content.

that would be very desirable

Edited by 204 Kallisto

answer is no, simply use steamcmd to download the other branches to theirs own directories ...

answer is no, simply use steamcmd to download the other branches to theirs own directories ...

Do you need Arma3GU.exe if you use steamcmd?

fyi using the launcher in the other arma3GU folder wrecks the addons. need to redown load them all from the steam workshop. guess i shouldnt do that.

trying to install development build with GU to a folder named "Arma 3 [development]" at

follow location on hard disk "G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 [development]"

but it fails,

when I start development build then a ton of errors appears

I can't even place a chopper in editor

could anyone please make a tutorial

how to use GU Updater?

thanks

Maquez I am also having problems with the DEV build acquired via Game Updater in Arma3 Tools. Errors in the editor indicate missing configs.

yep same here it indicates missing configs

it worked once flawless

but after they introduced "Advanced Helicopter FDM" in the development branch it got broken

so practically we have a nice tool for switching branches

but we can't use it because it's broken :confused:

BIS Tool Game Updater is broken now for over a month, could you please fix it?

switching branches with steam only is a pain !

Edited by maquez

switching branches with steam only is a pain !

You could use the batch file I wrote earlier in this thread. One double-click and you've swung to the other branch. :)

Green I will be trying out your batch file method next.

Right now it bugs me when I can't use Diag tools with the console in the dev branch.

See if you have the problem too. Bring up the console in VR.

Enter -> [b]diag_toggle "HitPoints" [/b]
EXEC LOCAL

It should pop up a window in your viewport showing hitpoints of the parts of your vehicle and/or player.

What you don't want to see is ...

'diag_toggle |#|"HitPoints"'
Error Missing ;

Right now I can fix this problem temporarily by deleting all files in 'Arma 3' and 'appdata/Arma 3' (just to be sure).

• Re-downloading the main branch (to make a copy of it)
  • Wipe everything in main branch directory and select dev branch in steam.
  • Wait for the download of patch.
  • Overwrite the files in my main branch copy with the new patch of files

Now I have a fully functional Arma 3 dev branch and I can use the DIAG tools. BUT ...

• If I use Game Updater, I end up with an Arma3-dev branch where I CAN'T use the DIAG tools.
  • If I switch from one branch to another in Steam, I end up with an Arma3-dev branch where I CAN'T use the DIAG tools.

I am more noob than expert so I don't have much idea where the problem comes from.

I'll use your batch file if it can allow me to have fully-functional branches of the game I can switch between.

got to work Game Updater again

you need to copy the "Arma3GU.exe" from the Game Updater installations folder

to the folder you have installed devbranch with use of Game Updater

and then start Arma3 with this file

see also https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Game_Updater

thanks toward the person that had updated the wiki

Edited by maquez

Hi!

My game updater is broken. The username and the password is swapping on every start.

When i go into the Steam Account menu i see my password(!!I can read it) at the Username field and probably my username at the password field. Because of this, i can't update the game. I have to swap it manually.

Does anybody noticed this, or having issue with GU?

Hello, this is a known issue introduced with the last update of the main branch of the tools which has been fixed in the development branch.

If you don't want to switch to the dev branch, here is the tip to bypass this problem: Tools Development Branch Discussion

Ps: The issue only occurs when you open the "Account settings" form with some existing information.

Ps: The issue only occurs when you open the "Account settings" form with some existing information.

For me not. I can't update the game without re-setting the login informations. When i press update the console appear with this:

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] GameUpdater ready

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] Monitor started

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] Prepare update

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] Steam->username:='MySteamPassword'

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] Steam->userpass:={STRING}

[2015.06.01. 8:10:05] Steam->guard:=''

An after a while i get popup message: Login Failure: Invalid Steam Password, please retry.

The only workaround is to go into the Account settings, swap the fields and hit update. I have to do this ever time.

When will you released the fix? With 1.46?

you can use steamcmd to download any / all branches to theirs separate folders ... I use that since branch system exists

you can use steamcmd to download any / all branches to theirs separate folders ... I use that since branch system exists

Can you give some example how to do it?

Now when Eden is available I also would like to use both branches, however i have no idea how to do it with steamcmd.

Could you somehow integrate the "Game updater" functionality into the Launcher? They are both in C#, isn't they?

If you could extend it to the other branches, that would be SuperB!

E.g.:

In the Launcher settings:

-Set the Steam guard code, account, etc.

-Check the branches that you want to update

If these are set, then in the top left corner you can select which branch do you want to use. If you change the branch, then the GameUpdater starts, sync the branch and start the branch's Launcher.

Is "Game Updater" currently working? I want to have both stable and dev builds of Arma 3.

I have stable branch of Arma 3 through Steam, and tried to install Dev build this morning through Game Updater. It says it's completed installation (and validates correctly), but when I try to load the Arma.exe it's created I get config/class errors and then a DX11 error.

No entry 'config.bin/CfgDifficulties/Recruit/Flags.StaminaBar'.

Error creating Direct3D 11 graphical engine