Sign in to follow this  
Neus

GPNVG-18 Concept Idea

image.jpg

Welcome to my first Arma 3 modification (my first altogether actually). I'm going to be creating the quad eye L-3 GPNVG-18's. The idea is that when the NVG's are turned on, your field of view will increase representing the quad eye pieces that cover a larger field of view than the standard NVG's.

My intention is to use the same animation that the standard Arma 3 NVG's use when they are turned on and move into position.

Here you can see a few mockup images I've put together using I games screens with photoshop, to get a look at what they might look like when used in game. For the first image I've increased the FOV in game by using the - key bind. The second image uses the standard FOV.

The next step is to start modeling the NVG's, which I will be documenting my progress in this thread. All comments are appreciated as I will be taking on all the feedback I recieve to create the best and most realistic experience possible.

Thank you for reading, Neus.

Edited by Neus
Cleaned up the concept

I happend to know that there's people working on this. ;) And the view thing should be possible.

If there's other people working on this, then they're more than likely further ahead than me then. I'll leave them to it! Thank you ;)

The thing is, with the GPNVG, you definitely HAVE the NVGs increase the FOV when activating them. Otherwise, there's no point for the NVG. Not sure if there's a way to do it, but it should be possible. Hope you or someone else makes these.

I've decided to continue with the mod as a first project to gain experience, why not. ;)

@antoineflemming yeah you're right. I've cleaned up the first post and have decided to leave the vanilla NVG's as they are as the GPNVG's will have a larger field of view as you say.

The next step now is to start modeling. I will be documenting my progress here but as this is my first modification, it may take some time. As always all comments and feedback are appreciated as it will help me acquire the best and most realistic experience achievable in game.

:D

EDIT: in case anybody reading this is wondering, I will be using the images here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1398836_TNVC_Reviews_the_L_3_GPNVG_18_Panoramic_NVG.html as my main reference.

Edited by Neus

The thing is, with the GPNVG, you definitely HAVE the NVGs increase the FOV when activating them. Otherwise, there's no point for the NVG. Not sure if there's a way to do it, but it should be possible. Hope you or someone else makes these.

If you could override the FOV used by the game in the profile settings you may have something but not everyone will like it, so i think atm the above images is probably the best way to cater to everyone.

Recently started playing Arma3 (been away for awhile including moddeling :( ).

This would be a welcom addition, especially if you could spread the view as i'm using triplescreens.

*BIS include these NVG's please!

Well, we have these... if I would ever get around to unwrapping and texturing them I could get them into the game. This is JeffersPang's model.

gpnvg.jpg

Well, we have these... if I would ever get around to unwrapping and texturing them I could get them into the game. This is JeffersPang's model.

Would be very good to add his model to your headgear mod!

Would be very good to add his model to your headgear mod!

I absolutely second that! :) JP did an outstanding job and creating good textures to accompany the model would definitely be worth it and appreciated by a lot, I reckon.

Nice one, but hope you don't mind me saying it, not that accurate imho.

Yes, accuratcy and details are my pets :p.

If nobody is doing (a proper) one, i might consider picking up my old hobby and make one (no promise though).

..Who knows, maybe one day...:rolleyes:

Nice one, but hope you don't mind me saying it, not that accurate imho.

Yes, accuratcy and details are my pets :p.

If nobody is doing (a proper) one, i might consider picking up my old hobby and make one (no promise though).

..Who knows, maybe one day...:rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm not the guy who made the model. I do remember JP telling me they are not GPNVGs. Instead they are PNVG AN/AVS-10 Panoramic. But he's the guy to talk to regarding that. However, the battery pack, helmet shape, etc, and the mount for the NVG is accurate (imo). But I'm not in Special Forces or have ready access to any of the gear in that picture.. just reference images and such. So there may be some inaccuracies :)

Edited by Binkowski

Like I said, I'm not the guy who made the model. I do remember JP telling me they are not GPNVGs. Instead they are PNVG AN/AVS-10 Panoramic. But he's the guy to talk to regarding that. However, the battery pack, helmet shape, etc, and the mount for the NVG is accurate (imo).

I can confirm that! :)

I can confirm that! :)

My mistake and that are indeed (pretty accurate from quick look but missing the connection bar?) PNVG AN/AVS-10 model... pilot NVG's. Good job!

So i rest my judgement and hope you finish them :).

Looks we still need a set of GPNVG-18 for the ground troops. But it is a start...

Edited by DaSquade

My mistake and that are indeed (pretty accurate from quick look but missing the connection bar?) PNVG AN/AVS-10 model... pilot NVG's. Good job!

So i rest my judgement and hope you finish them :).

Looks we still need a set of GPNVG-18 for the ground troops. But it is a start...

I didn't make them i'm afraid :( JeffersPang did but yes they looks insanely good!

Those things are freakay. Going to call them Spider Eyes, interesting idea by the way.

hehe whups :)

pnvganvs10.jpg

As far as I know, a lot of pilot gear were hijacked by ground forces too (see the rather large photo in the spoiler), plus now this gives you a reason to get back into the scene and make em' G-PNVGs! :)

deltapnvg.jpg

As for the proof of concept posted on the first page, I really really like the whole idea of having panoramic view but is it me or did the vertical FOV get smaller? :confused:

that looks amazing. are you going to do one without the ugly mounting brackets?

GPNVG18's are beeing made but don''t hold your breath :rolleyes:...

gpnvg18_3.jpggpnvg18_5.jpg

gpnvg18_4.jpggpnvg18_6.jpg

*Updated progress pics and WIP (low poly will be reduced...)

Edited by DaSquade

dasquade back at it. nice modo mesh ;)

Meanwhile....(don't confuse, this is high poly model)

gpnvg18_7.jpg

Edited by DaSquade

That's impressive... I'm glad to see so many talented modder are back to business :)

sort of an aside from this, but has anyone thought to do a nightvision/thermal hybrid? Is that even possible?