pettka

Arma 3 weapons config guidelines

There aren't any special tricks with alpha. The tunnel is just modelled in a way to not obscure the view - the far end is enlarged and in some cases the whole model is deformed into a cone shape - it is not noticeable from 1st person anyway.

Dunno about other modelling programs, but in 3dsmax I setup a camera for reference, then select the tubus of the scope and apply Free From Deformer Box 2x2x2. Then I stretch the tubus until the view is satisfactory.

There aren't any special tricks with alpha. The tunnel is just modelled in a way to not obscure the view - the far end is enlarged and in some cases the whole model is deformed into a cone shape - it is not noticeable from 1st person anyway.

Dunno about other modelling programs, but in 3dsmax I setup a camera for reference, then select the tubus of the scope and apply Free From Deformer Box 2x2x2. Then I stretch the tubus until the view is satisfactory.

Thanks for the clarification. I would have thought there was more magic involved :)

Still, I do wonder why the same trick as with the colimator sights doesn't work. Apparently, there are certain conditions when the polygons behind the transparent face turn sky color, and this is true e.g. for the GL Katiba, but not for its GL-less counterpart. Any idea what that is? I would very much prefer to use this method since it will work in all cases.

The alpha sorting trick only works to conceal non-opaque alpha objects. It will not conceal object with 100% white alpha, but it will work with 99% grey alpha.

But I don't really see how could it help in this case?

As for GL katiba - thats is different bug and only MRCO does it. Nobody knows why

The alpha sorting trick only works to conceal non-opaque alpha objects. It will not conceal object with 100% white alpha, but it will work with 99% grey alpha.

But I don't really see how could it help in this case?

I tried closing off the tunnel shortly behind the reticle with a transparent face and it gives a very clean sight picture. I would guess that with a very thin scope tapering the end might be difficult. I'll try with my VCOG, I certainly don't have much room for tapering there.

I suppose the trick works by alpha testing?

As for GL katiba - thats is different bug and only MRCO does it. Nobody knows why

Understood. It's weird because it looks exactly like the problem described here.

It is strange that only the MRCO does it. It only seems to affect the weapons that have an alpha texture on part of the weapon model too: the MX, Mk.20, TRG-21 and Kabita GL variants all have an alpha texture for the red-dot sight (the one for aiming the UGL), Sting SMG has alpha textures for the transparent Magazine, PDW2000 has an alpha texture for the grip/magazine-well. I thought maybe it'd be a face sorting issue from "Move Top"-ing the alpha parts of these weapons above the "TOP" attachment proxy in the sorting hierarchy, but you'd have thought it'd effect all the sight models if that was the case.

Anyway; thanks for the insight on the tunnel geometry Vespa. I think I might just have to cope with the narrower vignetting/tunnel-vision effect on my Lightweight Day Sight though since the external geometry of the sight doesn't really allow me to make the inner tube cone shaped. The bottom of the sight is shaped like this:

|____|‾‾‾‾‾‾\___|---

So the part of the contour that I've shaded red always starts to clip through or otherwise become visible when looking through the sight if I don't make the tube straight up to that point

But of a bummer, but I don't really think that I can do much about it in this case. :)

Edited by da12thMonkey

So the part of the contour that I've shaded red always starts to clip through or otherwise become visible when looking through the sight if I don't make the tube straight up to that point

Likewise here, the knobs on the VCOG are always in the way and I cannot get rid of them. The tube is pretty narrow, and the knobs are pretty far in the back, so there is no way to taper the tunnel in any way.

Too bad we can't have this ;)

Likewise here, the knobs on the VCOG are always in the way and I cannot get rid of them. The tube is pretty narrow, and the knobs are pretty far in the back, so there is no way to taper the tunnel in any way.

I had big problems to make a proper 3D view on shortdot - so i decided to make only 1x 3D view and 2D zoom view

RTT would be nice tho heh - even if we had some special fov settings of the eye (not just actual zoom values)

Edited by RobertHammer

You can have the tender to texture scope, a Russian guy modded the default optics to use render to texture, worjs on the testmap with a frame rate drop of 5fps, it isn't on these forum's I found it on YouTube with a dl link, the real issue I saw when using them was the scope sway was very large but it works, even with my SLI, POST BACK WITH LINK LATER

As I see it, Render to Texture is too slow and the picture is laggy (not at full frame rate), so aiming and shooting will be next to impossible.

As I see it, Render to Texture is too slow and the picture is laggy (not at full frame rate), so aiming and shooting will be next to impossible.

Here we go, this video shows the RTT scope working

and the download link is http://yadi.sk/d/hvILgnblCWSnV

I had a few quick plays with it and had no issue with the frame rate of the RTT and found it easy enough to hit the targets 300-400m away. If you use it you will notice that the rifle sway makes it extremely hard to get a steady shot even when prone, but it just adds to the realism. It is a good first effort for RTT scopes but it has many issues but ones that would not be that difficult to fix.

Here we go, this video shows the RTT scope working
and the download link is http://yadi.sk/d/hvILgnblCWSnV

When I enter a vehicle, I notice a large framerate drop which goes away when I disable RTT. Detail level in the rendered view is considerably lower than normal.

My system cannot handle this (and before someone says I need to upgrade, I have what goes for the "recommended" specs), so no, I don't consider this an option.

I'm modelling a AX338 and scope, the scope mount has elevation(MOA) built-in, should I do the same or keep the scope horizontal?

If you mean varying elevation by zeroing, I don't think that is possible unless you'd animate the proxy itself ON the weapon and tilt the whole scope, which would also tilt all other attachments. Since the scopes are proxied onto the weapon, they do not animate.

I'm modelling a AX338 and scope, the scope mount has elevation(MOA) built-in, should I do the same or keep the scope horizontal?

The reason that Long Range Rifles have an elevation angle inbuilt into the scope rail isn't problem in Arma, so there's no need to do it.

Unlike real-life where a weapon is zeroed by changing the elevation angle of the scope relative to the bore-line of the barrel, Arma changes the angle at which the ammunition is travelling in when it leaves the muzzle. The cosine change at the muzzle is calculated automatically, in order that the ammunition drops back down over the horizon plane of the opticview/eye memory point at whichever range the sight is zeroed to.

Well, I did it a bit differently. I figured a "Joint Rails Project" might end up being useful so we avoid everyone having to support everything, but instead weaponmakers could use JRP rails and attachment makers could add their attachments to JRP rails.

Linked below is a zip that contains my little experiment, one of the pbo's is "JRP" itself and other two are "configuration plugins" for IanSky's optics and FHQ optics. Using both "config plugins" with the JRP results in interchangeable optics on BI weapons and any weapon that would in the future, in addition to BI rails, use the JRP rails.

Here are the pbo's and here is the source so you don't have to unpack it.

If anyone has any interest on expanding this with me to make it something that community could actually use, let me know, as I'm probably committing some config genocide without knowing it, as cross-config inheritance is still a bit blurry to me, but I'm learning. :)

Hello,

can you please re share your archives please?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

can you please re share your archives please?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately I don't have them anymore. I removed them as the community picked up on the general idea. Something similar, ASDG Joint Rails is an addon that Robalo made that has apparently gained some traction and probably utilizes the same logic as was in my test.

Thanks for the entry in Weapondeveloping Pettka:yay:

One please to the you:

Could the devs add some sample reload animations to the sample folder of the ArmA3 Tools?

Would be nice...

Edited by DerBiwi

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Weapon_Config_Guidelines

Feel free to use it according to our modding license :icon_twisted:

It roughly describes new features for weapons in Arma 3, You still would need to know the basics from A2/OA.

Does anyone have one of these completed mods for LEFT-HANDED Players who use the Number Kyepad to do WASD (8546 etc)?

I am literally spending days trying to figure out a full set of non-conflicting mappings for Left-handed play.

But then an `Update` remaps them ALL back to square one. So I have to remap again.

Hi,

I am currently working on some sound changing of one weapon.

The Gun sounds really weird sometimes.

In the line to play the sounds are some values without description what they do.

Ex.: begin1[] = { "\mg\sound\mg3", 1, 1, 1200};

soundBegin[] = { "sound1", 0.25};

What can I change with these values?

@Lt_Ryan;

From top left to right

1. Volume

2. Attenuation curve (I think)

3. Audible distance in meters

4. Probability of that sample being played. If you only have one sample, as in the config you posted, then you should set it to 1.

@Lt_Ryan;

From top left to right

1. Volume

2. Attenuation curve (I think)

3. Audible distance in meters

4. Probability of that sample being played. If you only have one sample, as in the config you posted, then you should set it to 1.

Ty

what about this line, same as above?

closure1[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\arsenal\weapons\Machineguns\Zafir\Closure_zafir_01", 0.562341, 1, 10};

Any idea - how i can make the suppressor to use his iron sight? http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/XJ90/Picture196.jpg

Tried adding memoryPointCamera = "eye"; and other combinations - nothing worked

If you know how i can do this , please tell me

thx

The game simply cannot (Yeah a bit late) won't recognize it as a valid memory point when attached to the suppressor, so you're gonna (or realistically the modeler) will have to make it smaller to accommodate for that fact, or the weapon has a seperate "eye2" for the suppressor sights when attached.