Sign in to follow this  
JojoTheSlayer

Helicopters. What do you guys think of the A3 versions?

I dont know about you guys, but to me apart from the look. The helis in A3 are the most arcadish they have been in the Arma series.

General issue seen so far:

- Helicopters feel weightless or light.

- Magnetic landing. No sliding etc and you can literary land on a hill with no effort because you stick to the ground.

- Can take a ton of damage. Land at 30+ speed. No issue, maybe take slight instrument damage. Slam into a wall in some cases and have no issue. Fly down light pools like a tank etc.

- Acceleration seems very fast.

- Side flying speed that would make the Comanche blush. You can fly around a target in a clock like way shooting at the center at a very high speed.

- Rooter blades are modeled if the engine is hit, but not if the rooters go into buildings while flying etc unlike ToH.

I hope helicopters will get a focus at some point because they really need it.

In the Arma series, apart from TOH of course, I think OA got it better.

What do you guys think about the helicopters?

IMO I have to say this flight model is the best I've seen in the ArmA series,more responsive(maybe too responsive-not). Really enjoyable to fly, releasing control over to coplit in flight was a lil strange but nice.

Isn't this flight model just a place holder? I was under the impression that the TOH flight model would be implemented down the road once it's ironed out.

Isn't this flight model just a place holder? I was under the impression that the TOH flight model would be implemented down the road once it's ironed out.

There was word that the TOH flight model would be available, but nobody has said it'll be forced.

I dont know about you guys, but to me apart from the look. The helis in A3 are the most arcadish they have been in the Arma series.

- Magnetic landing. No sliding etc and you can literary land on a hill with no effort because you stick to the ground.

- Can take a ton of damage. Land at 30+ speed. No issue, maybe take slight instrument damage. Slam into a wall in some cases and have no issue. Fly down light pools like a tank etc.

- Side flying speed that would make the Comanche blush. You can fly around a target in a clock like way shooting at the center at a very high speed.

- Rooter blades are modeled if the engine is hit, but not if the rooters go into buildings while flying etc unlike ToH.

I hope helicopters will get a focus at some point because they really need it.

In the Arma series, apart from TOH of course, I think OA got it better.

What do you guys think about the helicopters?

Spot on.

dont take my word for it. but i can recal someone said that they would implement the toh flight model for multiplayer. just hope it gets done.

i would also like to see the ability to taxie with the helis, thouse with wheels. such as the ka60. but i dont have to high hopes for this.

but to be honest, im not that impressed with arma3. but hey its still just alpha so things will change.

...more responsive(maybe too responsive-not). Really enjoyable to fly...

Its supposed to be representative of a real helicopter toward ground operations, not AirWolf. LoL

Nope, they have said they will add the ToH helicopters to the game, not that the A3 helicopters will have ToH abilities.

That said, they have also hinted that they might make ToH version of the A3 helicopters, but they will not have the same expert consultant input ToH had.

Spot on. ... , im not that impressed with arma3. but hey its still just alpha so things will change.

The infantry combat it very good, at least in PvP. AI is AI.

That said, yeah, I kinda agree. Both vehicle physics and flight seems off.

I get the impression they have mostly focused on artwork, getting new tech to function and infantry. The rest have been more of a afterthought.

Makes me worried for release since its not THAT long to Q3.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

you can fly inverted in helicopter like a jet. most hilarious thing i've ever seen. also, fly up to a high altitude, now press and hold the s key. you'll do loops for hours.

so no this flight model isn't the "best" anything, and will be replaced by toh's flight model for the sake of everyone not laughing their asses off.

TOH flight model is one of the most anticipated feature of arma 3. and expert flight model is one of the most comfortable flight models once get hang of.

Nope, they have said they will add the ToH helicopters to the game, not that the A3 helicopters will have ToH abilities.

That said, they have also hinted that they might make ToH version of the A3 helicopters, but they will not have the same expert consultant input ToH had.

Actually awhile back they DID say A3 stock heli's would use the ToH FM.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135549-Arma-3-amp-TOH&p=2166652&viewfull=1#post2166652

Edit: But ya, absolutely the ToH Flight Model needs to come in.

Edited by striderjg
Added agreement

Honestly they are quite silly currently, and act like RC toys more than a ARMA helicopter, Little Bird fights at the moment, are like bees playing tag, doing flips, rolls, loops etc.

I am not concerned though, I am sure its just a place holder system til Beta/Final and us the ToH model. But, if this style does stay in til final, well...oh boy... But I am 99.99999999% sure it won't. So no worries.

I didn't feel much improvements whatsoever; I'm a heli hungry player, I love them, I love to fly them in any games but it seems so off in Arma2 and it's not much better in A3 so far.

From what I've read ITT they are going to use another flight model? For such a deep game with a lot of different mechanics I wasn't expecting an heli sim anyway. It's enough to have fun altough it'd be a great surprise if they dramatically improve it.

[/b]

I agree they do seem a bit weightless, I was doing some ridiculously reckless maneuvers in a little bird and just could not seem to crash it.

The responsiveness and controls seems good, although I still feel the yaw control feels strange compared to other flight games' heli controls but I can't say I've dove in deep enough yet to complain about it. (or flown a real heli before)

the little bird seems almost impervious when landing while the ka-60 can't even land at 10kph without taking any damage

Placeholder, Alpha, WIP, ToH incoming, etc, etc.

So many duplicates about this. Try to search before you make threads about it.

Placeholder, Alpha, WIP, ToH incoming, etc, etc.

So many duplicates about this. Try to search before you make threads about it.

Most Betas I have been in have had people that say this. Its so annoying.

The most recent is PS2. A game where the Dev team was close to a hundred people. Guess what. Many of the *"Beta is Beta" issues where never addressed in the Beta because of lack of time before launch. You really think Bis will have higher productivity than SOE?

Oh and since its in open Beta now. When are we going to talk about issues like this if we are not supposed to talk about anything without getting the Beta is Beta argument every time in Beta...

*(What your playing now is NOT a Alpha stage software. 11 year old Alpha with 3 earlier retail versions released?)

Actually awhile back they DID say A3 stock heli's would use the ToH FM.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135549-Arma-3-amp-TOH&p=2166652&viewfull=1#post2166652

Edit: But ya, absolutely the ToH Flight Model needs to come in.

That thread is kinda old.

Didnt they say they had some issues with the ToH interaction with PhysX and that they where not sure anymore?

Anyway, I would rather I am wrong on the latter though.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

What we are playing IS an Alpha. It is the first public Alpha for Arma 3. There are NO retail versions available or being sold. Anything you buy into, is a pre-order to help build hype and allow people who have been waiting early access and perks. It also allows the community to test and voice our opinion on changes that we would like to see.

Public Alpha's are used to stress the code, iron out weakness and constant feature additions and changes. Once 90% of the features have been added and they are happy that the game is "feature complete" they will bring it into the Beta stage of development. Beta stage is used to address bugs, clean up the code, and provide a smoother experience overall. Still add minor features but usually nothing game changing.

Arma 3 is currently using the flight mechanics as a place holder for the time being (it has been said before). There are also rumours of it adding back support in a way like take on helicopters re-armed did in one of their free dlc's allowing us to incorporate previous arma and take on helicopter titles into one. When will see see TKOH flight mechanics? No one knows for certain, I'd expect it to happen in a couple months once the infantry mechanics are fully tested and tweaked.

This is an alpha, it is not a beta, nor is it an "alpha" where the game is already complete and our input means nothing. The developers are not following orders from a publisher using the terms alpha/beta to sell more units by pretending to involve the community.

Once TKOH flight is in place I hope to see a lot of servers locking the flight difficulty on expert to allow skilled pilots to actually be useful.

I dont quite understand why they made a whole new flight model just as a placeholder for arma3 which is inferior to arma2 and it going to be scrapped eventually anyway. Why not just stick the old arma2 model in until TOH was ready for implementation? strange.

Most Betas I have been in have had people that say this. Its so annoying.

The most recent is PS2. A game where the Dev team was close to a hundred people. Guess what. Many of the *"Beta is Beta" issues where never addressed in the Beta because of lack of time before launch. You really think Bis will have higher productivity than SOE?

Oh and since its in open Beta now. When are we going to talk about issues like this if we are not supposed to talk about anything without getting the Beta is Beta argument every time in Beta...

*(What your playing now is NOT a Alpha stage software. 11 year old Alpha with 3 earlier retail versions released?)

Many of the "issues" brought up here are already been brought up several times. Issues that are confirmed by devs to be fixed/implented. And yes, this Alpha is lacking several features because simply being an Alpha. The Beta is where we see the game as feature-ready. This is why the "alpha is alpha" comment is okay to use with these kinds of threads.

You can define the word Alpha any way you want. But the fact is that we're sitting in an unfinished version of the game which lacks features that are to be implented in a later stage before release. This has been said by devs, and this is what it is. Everyone should know what they're getting into when they're signing up for an alpha test.

People can also use the search function before posting. And they can also check out the feedback site, this is where you give feedback, not on the forum. You discuss said feedback there with a LINK to the feedback report you made. For us to vote up or down.

And it going to be scrapped eventually anyway. Why not just stick the old arma2 model in until TOH was ready for implementation? strange.

This is not the full game, so is it weird that things aren't "ready for implementation"? No. And it wont be scrapped. Devs have posted about this several times.

See, if people could use the search function, we wouldn't have to repeat the same things over and over and over again.

Edited by Winfernal

IMO I have to say this flight model is the best I've seen in the ArmA series,more responsive(maybe too responsive-not). Really enjoyable to fly, releasing control over to coplit in flight was a lil strange but nice.

No offence but you must be joking, right?

Current flight model must be a placeholder, it's even worse than A2:OA and personally I just tested it for 5 minutes and will not fly helis again until it's changed to the better (i.e ToH style).

/KC

No offence but you must be joking, right?

Current flight model must be a placeholder, it's even worse than A2:OA and personally I just tested it for 5 minutes and will not fly helis again until it's changed to the better (i.e ToH style).

/KC

I'm thinking the same thing. I certainly wont invest in a joystick until TOH model is in. :)

Bla bla

Why did you even post in the thread then?

Oh yeah, its because you just want to post thinly veiled insults like the "12 year Veteran" thing you comment to another person a moment ago.

I am just gonna do myself a favor and just put you on ignore.

I have to agree with the opening poster on this one, and though it might have been brought up earlier, I still think this is one of the more important things to bring up again and again and again. I had the most dreadful flashbacks to operation flashpoint two when entering the game. It instantly destroyed all forms of simulation. The movement, the breathing, the everything, it just wasn't right.

Jumping into a helicopter... Now I'm thinking whether or not it is a Call of Duty game I downloaded, or an actual game in the arma series. Bring realism back!

Alpha or not. Needs fix.

Why did you even post in the thread then?

Oh yeah, its because you just want to post thinly veiled insults like the "12 year Veteran" thing you comment to another person a moment ago.

I am just gonna do myself a favor and just put you on ignore.

Fine. Ignorance is bliss :)

I posted in this thread to ensure you about how things are going to change, and that we don't need over 9000 threads about it. It is known that this is a placeholder model for choppers. But your "bla bla bla IM NOT LISTENING bla bla" attitude took control.

As i'm probably not on your ignore list, you'll probably read this.

Take care!

Edited by Winfernal

Strangely, the Ka-60 in the showcase is a pig to fly. Throw it down in the editor and it's not nearly as bad. Placebo perhaps but I hate it. The littlebird-9 is wunderbar.

I wish we got rotorlib soon. Even if we had to apply it to default helicopters by ourselves, we'd do it if a proper documentation was provided.