Sign in to follow this  
DanD123

Please make "actions" more accesible ! i.e. open doors , climb ladders etc

walk right up to a door , stop scroll, find the open door bit , and hit enter.

walk see door symbol press middle mouse button... no time no menu just quick access. of course for more options like if you dont want to drive a car when standing in front scroll, but ususally the important option is quick.

This isn't like most games, and neither is the engine of the game. :)

If its not like most games it should't have optics and weapons at all since other games have it alredy also it should't have vehicles and doors at all since other games have it too and Arma is not like other games right ? Oh yea Arma also should't have any soldiers but some aliens instead since other games haves soldiers too and since Arma is not like other games.

U know i like that argument, can use it for every excuse.

And by the way for a dumb person like you i will explain it more detailed, when someone says " something is like in most of games" does not mean that he is comparing the games but only giving an example , so dumb people like you could understand what "button action" he means.

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 ----------

What i meant was, you can't just copypaste features from other engines because "most games" has it.

In which place does OP says that he wants that option JUST BECAUSE MOST GAMES HAVE IT ? Read post better and you will see that OP is asking that option because he wants to make some in game actions faster thus NOT BECAUSE MOST GAMES HAVE IT.

And by the way just because most of the games has some good feature does not mean Arma should never implement it even if it will improve its gameplay.

It has to be programmed first, and someone has to do it

Like anything else in the game

Edited by tamernator

Choose a key.

Bind "Use default action" and "get out" to that same key.

Now you can enter a vehicle and exit it with the same key, without resorting to the scroll list.

Scroll, click.

What i meant was, you can't just copypaste features from other engines because "most games" has it. It has to be programmed first, and someone has to do it.

I agree, but when everyone talks about Arma being so realist then why can't we have some fluidity in these basic actions, realistically, how long does it take for your brain to tell your are to reach out and open the door or whatever.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Choose a key.

Bind "Use default action" and "get out" to that same key.

Now you can enter a vehicle and exit it with the same key, without resorting to the scroll list.

must try that thanks.

Door opening is too slow - it has the look, feel and movements of someone opening a door for an old lady instead of a raiding party. For CQB, it would be nice if you could charge a door to open it fast or blow open doors using explosive charges or use a sledghammer or rifle butt (maybe something like SLX melee mode animations) to break down a door. Something for the future?

Simply make actions based on where the user is pointing rather than where the user is standing. Facing a door? That is default action. Facing the ladder? That is the default.

Makes sense over the current implementation.

;2328090']I've found the interaction to be fantastic' date=' when approaching a door I get the familiar door icon, I just click my middle mouse button and voila door opens. I have even managed to breach a door, throw a nade in and close the door all within a second or two.

Sure it can be optimized but as of now I am pleased with it.[/quote']

Such a misuse of the term breach. :D But anyhow. Is this what you're calling a good thing? That you can open, throw and close? RVS was cool that was, you could scroll and it would open it slight then you could put it through the gap and close. The doors currently are too "static" for my liking.

Door opening is too slow - it has the look, feel and movements of someone opening a door for an old lady instead of a raiding party. For CQB, it would be nice if you could charge a door to open it fast or blow open doors using explosive charges or use a sledghammer or rifle butt (maybe something like SLX melee mode animations) to break down a door. Something for the future?

I agree it's pretty slow, but it's not like you're applying force. If they were say linked with PhysX to some degree so when you bumped into them they opened based on the force applied then that would be cool, don't know if possible or fits but there you go. P.S. You cannot rifle-butt a door and expect it to open. ;) That is funny.

Simply make actions based on where the user is pointing rather than where the user is standing. Facing a door? That is default action. Facing the ladder? That is the default.

Makes sense over the current implementation.

That is the current implementation as far as I can tell.

Facing a door, press spacebar, door opens.

Facing a ladder, press spacebar, start climbing the ladder.

Facing the driver's door on a car, press spacebar, get in as driver

etc.

Works for me, I don't see how it wouldn't work for others.

Spacebar works for me well, face the object - hit space - everything works great, although I'm contemplating just rebinding it to something more useful (holding breath? currently using TAB) and using MMB as usual

I think the current context-of-whatever-you're-pointing-at works well when dealing with ladders & doors etc. I think a lot of people might be overestimating the speed that they can open doors :) I find that ingame it's appropriate.

Only thing I might say abut the context system is something I haven't actually tried out in ArmA 3 yet - giving orders to subunits. In ArmA 2 it's often frustrating that anything that wanders across your field of view while having subunits selected changes the contextual order, and even the position that order is in the scroll list causing you to scroll up & down while trying to keep your head perfectly still so it doesn't happen again :) (I use TrackIR.)

I'll check that out tonight.

I think doors are to slow. I open, move away, wait, and then they open. Arma2 speed was good.

The change of order in the action menu can be a frustration lol. So many times I been stuck in a helicopter bouncing around trying to catch the 'get out' action, going into my gear menu and what not.

Just because something is "manageable" doesn't make it good.

ATM there is no keybind that allows do the "action" without bringing the "action menu". THAT'S THE POINT. Give us a button that does "action" connected to object we are pointing on AND ONLY THAT. I don't want to click RMB for x times to dismiss action menu, because this ladder I wanted to climb up on has an illusive hitpoint.

We have 3 goddamn keys binded to the very same control. How's that even allowed in any game ever?

EDIT for foolproof

Anyone who says "if you miss 1st time and end up with action menu open, just scroll to it and MMB" has to think really hard about aspects of life like "wtf is wrong with me" and "why I'm willing to defend crap like this".

que? walk up to object, when the little white icon in the centre of your screen appears, just hit space (or enter) and it performs that action that's being shown on the screen. Not once do you have to even look at the action menu.

Seems absolutely fine to me, walk up to object, press enter, interaction complete. Couldn't be much simpler without compromising other controls, like subverting primary fire to "use" when in front of a usable object (terrible idea).

It's Arma.

Clumsy controls keep the douchbags away.

Leave it as is, or even make it a thousand times harder to open a door. Anything to keep the terrible 12 year olds out of my missions!

At the very least I think the "Touch off" action for explosives should be mapped to a specific key. There are already enough action menu entries without fumbling around trying to blow a satchel, and sometimes you can end up detonating them by accident. On a related note, you should be able to detonate Satchels and Claymores separately from one another.

If none of the doors are locked then breaking them down (or blowing them up!) seems a tad overkill.

Still, breaching mechanics would be nice... I'm thinking Raven shield.

At the very least I think the "Touch off" action for explosives should be mapped to a specific key. There are already enough action menu entries without fumbling around trying to blow a satchel, and sometimes you can end up detonating them by accident. On a related note, you should be able to detonate Satchels and Claymores separately from one another.

I so agree.

1 - so many times people have blown up satchels by mistake when trying to board a vehicle or whatnot

2 - to be able to set off satchels as one see fit, not necessarily all at once

3 - to be able to pick up the detonator from a dead friend (always a bummer when the guy that should blow up something dies and you cant use the explosives anymore)

Still, breaching mechanics would be nice... I'm thinking Raven shield.

Thinking in Raven Shield ain't good for ya mind!