tonic-_-

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS)

Tonic, first of all; thank you so much for all your work on VAS! It really has been a lifesaver.

But aren't you overreacting a bit? I mean, the need for such tool was so obvious to everyone right after the game's release that you can't really claim it was your idea. And now with the bootcamp system and the virtual world training it's only logical that BI created a virtual arsenal. Arsenal is a synonymous to Armoury, which is what they had in A2 but can't use it again because it doesn't serve the same purpose. It's Virtual because it's not actual.

When Bohemia implements weapon resting, will it be a rat move against weapon rest mods?

Please, don't take this as a disrespect for your amazing work. I just was surprised by your standpoint.

Overreacting? I suppose to some degree it could be considered that but an actual overreaction from me would lead to possibly a ban. I restrained myself from overreacting and decided to just speak honestly and openly of how I felt about it, everyone has their own personal views on situations like this and that was mine. Don't get me wrong though I think it is really cool that they are adding something like that with a UI system derived from Dslyecxi's Paper doll into the game, it is what a lot of people have really wanted. I personally just thought the whole naming of it with other things was really cheesy (Cheese rat move) along with some comments made from some unnamed employees in the past and the way things are going with Bohemia as a company and ARMA 3 as a game have made me feel like this.

Thanks you very much for this amazing script, in my community we have used from the beginning, and has been a great help.

One question, Bohemia implement its own VAS system in ArmA 3? I do not know anything about.

Heya, just wanted to say thanks for VAS in General. It really takes time off mission builders by not having to fumble around with loadouts all of the time. Just one thing though. Some of our members have an issue where VAS just won't load after a join in progress. We've already changed the config so they can still at least access their loadouts, but none of the items show up in the Box. Is there something I am overlooking?

UPDATE: v2.6

Changelog:

Changed: forceAddUniform now added in so you can freely wear any uniform without being 'naked'.

Changed: TFAR radio patch from Robalo to properly remove TFAR radios from being added.

Changed: Exit condition for VAS preloading in the config builder.

Download:

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS) v2.6

Virtual Ammobox System also known / dubbed as VAS made its release on 03-10-2013, Barely a week after the release of ARMA 3 Alpha to address the problems with the gear handling system for ARMA 3 at that time which was quite honestly horrid and beyond broken. Over time it has became one of the most single used script resources popular in casual co-op and armory missions along with other different types of missions but sadly due to recent events I feel Bohemia has made a cheese rat move and I really don't feel like supplying cheese to the rat if I get nothing from it like oh hey great tool we'll go make our own and make the name of it almost 100% identical to your system which is totally not a cheese rat move (sarcasm)... This could be considered the last update to VAS and possibly all of my stuff. I would like to thank everyone who has supplied feedback for VAS as well as submitted code changes to make VAS better, you guys are truly awesome and are the reason why I have released most of my stuff to the community so I thank you.

To Bohemia all I will say is well... GG (EXTREME RESTRAINT FROM WHAT I WANT TO SAY...)

Thanks for VAS, been using it in public coop since Beta.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

I have been using VAS since its initiation. I have looked at the new introduction of the Virtual Armory. They are not the same thing or even interchangeable!! The only thing they share is the word "Virtual" and in all fairness the Arma series is based on an engine that is called "Virtual Reality".

At this moment, I find VAS extremely more useful as a mission designer AND as a player. It is way more versatile and frees the mission designer from extra work. There is undoubtfully usefulness in the new Virtual Armory and I am sure it will be expanded and improved in the future.

On a side note...

As far as wishes are concerned, I would like the two functions merged.

I have created a training mission where Dyslyexci's Paper Doll (the virtual armory seems to be based on the same concept) and VAS coexist. You look at your guy, customize your gear and then save right in VAS which lives in a crate at them moment. You can go back and forth on different kits and get them ready for all battle situations.

Something like that?

2014_07_03_00001.jpg

2014_07_03_00002.jpg

2014_07_03_00003.jpg

2014_07_03_00004.jpg

I change the GUI and put a camera into VAS.

The GUI is inspired by Xeno he want to make a new "ammo box" for domination but never finished it.

I did this a few weeks ago.

I never release it here because I ran into trouble with the safezones.

The GUI only works on 1920x1080 and small interface in video settings.

Unfortunately i have no time at the moment to fix it.

I haven't had any luck limiting which weapons people can use when they're running the addon version of VAS. Any ideas?

Tonic, thank you for scripting VAS, improve it and make it compatible with each patch.

It improved so much missions and I think equipping purely from ammoboxes would be a big pain...

But I think VAS will be replaced by Bohemias Virtual Arsenal Ammobox which is already available in development branch.

See http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_2.jpg and https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arsenal

I wrote a small script to attach both Ammobox Systems to an object (my script only works on non destroyed objects and the player must be within 5 meters to use it):

NEED DEVELOPMENT VERSION OF ARMA 3 or wait for next patch!

init.sqf:

["Preload"] call BIS_fnc_arsenal;

ammobox.sqf:

_box = _this select 0;

_box addaction["<t color='#0000ff'>Virtual Arsenal</t>", {["Open", true] call BIS_fnc_arsenal;}, nil, 6, true, true, "", "alive _target && ((getPos _target) distance (getPos _this)) <= 5"];

_box addAction["<t color=#0000ff'>Virtual Ammobox</t>", "VAS\open.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "", "alive _target && ((getPos _target) distance (getPos _this)) <= 5];

init of an object that shall be used:

[this] execVM "ammobox.sqf";

Hi uh, does anyone think they would be willing to help step-by-step me install the newest update via PMs? I'm still on 2.1 and I don't think my attempt installed the new version. The other mod I was trying to install didn't work either. I can do the @MOD ones fine but stuff like VAS and what not I just never seem to get it to work w/o hours of trying random things until it works lol.

VA seems to be a case of style over substance (and another example of BIS's inability to design a decent UI).

It overcomplicates a simple task. Its use fails to be immediately obvious. Once you understand the way it works, it's cumbersome and lacks clarity (being surprised to find things in your inventory after using it isn't a good sign).

The VAS UI is not perfect, but it is a damn sight quicker and clearer to use than VA.

UPDATE: v2.6

Changelog:

Changed: forceAddUniform now added in so you can freely wear any uniform without being 'naked'.

Changed: TFAR radio patch from Robalo to properly remove TFAR radios from being added.

Changed: Exit condition for VAS preloading in the config builder.

Download:

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS) v2.6

Virtual Ammobox System also known / dubbed as VAS made its release on 03-10-2013, Barely a week after the release of ARMA 3 Alpha to address the problems with the gear handling system for ARMA 3 at that time which was quite honestly horrid and beyond broken. Over time it has became one of the most single used script resources popular in casual co-op and armory missions along with other different types of missions but sadly due to recent events I feel Bohemia has made a cheese rat move and I really don't feel like supplying cheese to the rat if I get nothing from it like oh hey great tool we'll go make our own and make the name of it almost 100% identical to your system which is totally not a cheese rat move (sarcasm)... This could be considered the last update to VAS and possibly all of my stuff. I would like to thank everyone who has supplied feedback for VAS as well as submitted code changes to make VAS better, you guys are truly awesome and are the reason why I have released most of my stuff to the community so I thank you.

To Bohemia all I will say is well... GG (EXTREME RESTRAINT FROM WHAT I WANT TO SAY...)

Well that's pretty childish. You made something awesome, and I'm going to continue using it because I can't imagine anything being better. Certainly not Bohemia's take on things.

Personally, I'd honestly rather see them just take your code, attach it to a box, and put it in the vanilla game and give you credit, but they developed their own version. It didn't copy yours. Your script wasn't even the first of it's kind.

They aren't even that similar other than giving you access to all of the equipment from one space with essentially no limits. The way they go about doing it though is pretty different.

I'd be disappointed they wasted dev time on code that already existed, not that they somehow encroached on your precious code.

I strongly encourage you to grow up, but I know that that's asking for a lot. You're an ArmA addon developer and that means you throw your hands up at the slightest provocation.

This is yet another reason that BI should take a leaf from Valve's book and start pulling the community into the actual development cycle. Put content and code from the community into the game, give the creators a fair compensation, and save money/dev time on pleasing the community. It would benefits all three pillars of the community: devs, creators, and players.

hi tonic,

i have a problem with your VAS and the BWMOD. if i take a BWMOD-Weapon and but some assignments on it and save the loudout after i loud the loudout all the assignments aren't on the weapon anymore and they are not even in the inventory. it's only with the BWMOD-Weapons.

how can i fix this problem??

greets Blackswater

hi tonic,

i have a problem with your VAS and the BWMOD. if i take a BWMOD-Weapon and but some assignments on it and save the loudout after i loud the loudout all the assignments aren't on the weapon anymore and they are not even in the inventory. it's only with the BWMOD-Weapons.

how can i fix this problem??

greets Blackswater

Not sure if you can fix it. I believe it's something with the way VAS is treating the vanilla hard-coded slot class names and how BWMod is using those same class names with their ASDG JR config. It can be fixed by VAS, by BWMod or by some willing third party with a new config :)

i asked the bwmod developers and they said me, i should ask the vas developer, because it is a problem with vas and not with bwmod. so i came here to ask tonic^^

Hey Tonic,

If you're interested, you can use the function I included in ASDG JointRails for returning the compatible attachments.

It is actually your VAS that made me write it in the first place, because it did not list all the compatible attachments on the left side for some weapons and I was seeing some duplicates as well.

With the code below you won't introduce any dependency:

Replace the line below from fn_details.sqf:

_items = [_data] call VAS_fnc_accList;

with this:

_items = if (isNil "asdg_jointrails_fnc_getCompatibleAttachments") then {[_data] call VAS_fnc_accList} else {[_data] call asdg_jointrails_fnc_getCompatibleAttachments};

sorry i haven't enough time right now to fish through previous posts, if anyone can help please comment,

so i have used vas for ages with no problems,

just recently sometimes when i load up a mission with it, all the selection boxes are blank, i had it on a freshly built mission and just put it down to a poor build and moved on, but then a few days later, i load up a mission i know and use often, to find the same missing text problem.

i would really like to know what is causing this, as i had a similar problem when i tried building an ATM script for my clan server, never figured it out and its one of those "annoyances"

the major change since last loading the mission in question is the font size in my settings....but vas works on one mission, just not another!

thanks

derpa derp derp! left out the stringtable file, see what happens when your all rushed ;)

Edited by t0et0e

Tonic, thank you for scripting VAS, improve it and make it compatible with each patch.

It improved so much missions and I think equipping purely from ammoboxes would be a big pain...

But I think VAS will be replaced by Bohemias Virtual Arsenal Ammobox which is already available in development branch.

See http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_2.jpg and https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arsenal

I wrote a small script to attach both Ammobox Systems to an object (my script only works on non destroyed objects and the player must be within 5 meters to use it):

NEED DEVELOPMENT VERSION OF ARMA 3 or wait for next patch!

init.sqf:

ammobox.sqf:

init of an object that shall be used:

Thank you so much for posting this. Been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out how to get vehicles spawned through VVS to have the VAS attached to them; your script was exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Hi Tonic,

thanks for your great work!

Do you plan to add the option to choose the new morale patches, rank insiginas etc.?

Your system is much better than BIS Arsenal or comparables!!!

I've used VAS before in my missions and it worked great. Yesterday I downloaded v2.6, copied to my mission folder and whitelisted some classnames in config.sqf, everything as usual. As I spawned I discovered that every item of the game was in the box. Is whitelisting broken? What could possibly go wrong?

Attaching config.sqf in case someone could quickly identify the problem.

vas_onRespawn = true;
vas_preload = true;
vas_disableLoadSave = false;
vas_customslots = 14;
vas_disableSafetyCheck = false;

vas_weapons = [
"launch_NLAW_F",
"arifle_MXC_F",
"arifle_MX_F",
"arifle_MX_GL_F",
"arifle_MX_SW_F",
"arifle_MXM_F",
"launch_B_Titan_F",
"LMG_Zafir_F",
"arifle_MXC_Black_F",
"arifle_MX_Black_F",
"arifle_MX_GL_Black_F",
"arifle_MX_SW_Black_F",
"arifle_MXM_Black_F",
"RH_m4",
"RH_M4_M203",
"RH_M4_ris",
"RH_M4_ris_M203",
"RH_M4A1_ris",
"RH_M4A1_ris_M203",
"hlc_lmg_m60",
"hlc_lmg_M60E4",
"RH_M16a1",
"RH_M16A1gl",
"RH_M16A2",
"RH_M16A2gl",
"RH_M16A3",
"RH_M16A4",
"RH_M16A4gl",
"RH_M16A4_m",
"RH_Mk12mod1"
];

vas_magazines = [
"SmokeShell",
"SmokeShellGreen",
"SmokeShellOrange",
"SmokeShellPurple",
"HandGrenade",
"MiniGrenade",
"HandGrenade_Stone",
"SmokeShellYellow",
"SmokeShellRed",
"SmokeShellBlue",
"Chemlight_green",
"Chemlight_red",
"Chemlight_yellow",
"Chemlight_blue",
"B_IR_Grenade",
"SatchelCharge_Remote_Mag",
"ATMine_Range_Mag",
"APERSMine_Range_Mag",
"APERSBoundingMine_Range_Mag",
"SLAMDirectionalMine_Wire_Mag",
"APERSTripMine_Wire_Mag",
"ClaymoreDirectionalMine_Remote_Mag",
"DemoCharge_Remote_Mag",
"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer",
"1Rnd_HE_Grenade_shell",
"UGL_FlareWhite_F",
"UGL_FlareGreen_F",
"UGL_FlareRed_F",
"UGL_FlareYellow_F",
"UGL_FlareCIR_F",
"1Rnd_Smoke_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokeRed_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokeGreen_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokeYellow_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokePurple_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokeBlue_Grenade_shell",
"1Rnd_SmokeOrange_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_HE_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_UGL_FlareWhite_F",
"3Rnd_UGL_FlareGreen_F",
"3Rnd_UGL_FlareRed_F",
"3Rnd_UGL_FlareYellow_F",
"3Rnd_UGL_FlareCIR_F",
"3Rnd_Smoke_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokeRed_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokeGreen_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokeYellow_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokePurple_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokeBlue_Grenade_shell",
"3Rnd_SmokeOrange_Grenade_shell",
"100Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer",
"Titan_AA",
"50Rnd_762x51_Box_Tracer",
"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag_Tracer_Red",
"hlc_100Rnd_762x51_T_M60E4"
];

vas_items = [
"muzzle_snds_H",
"muzzle_snds_L",
"muzzle_snds_M",
"muzzle_snds_H_MG",
"muzzle_snds_B",
"optic_Aco",
"optic_ACO_grn",
"optic_Holosight",
"acc_flashlight",
"acc_pointer_IR",
"Binocular",
"NVGoggles",
"ARC_US_ACU_Uniform",
"ARC_US_ACU_Uniform_vest",
"ARC_US_ACU_booniehat",
"ARC_US_ACU_Helmet_Light",
"ARC_US_ACU_Helmet",
"ARC_US_ACU_Plate_Carrier",
"ARC_US_ACU_PlateCarrier_1",
"ARC_US_ACU_Plate_Carrier_H",
"ARC_US_ACU_PlateCarrier_2",
"ARC_US_ACU_Helmet",
"ARC_US_ACU_Helmet",
"ARC_US_Urban_Uniform",
"ARC_US_Urban_Uniform_vest",
"ARC_US_Urban_Uniform_tshirt",
"ARC_US_Urban_Plate_Carrier",
"ARC_US_Urban_Plate_Carrier_H",
"ARC_US_Urban_PlateCarrier_2",
"ARC_US_Urban_PlateCarrier_1",
"ARC_US_Urban_Mich",
"ARC_US_Urban_Helmet_simple",
"ARC_US_Urban_Helmet_Light",
"ARC_US_Urban_Helmet",
"ARC_US_Urban_booniehat",
"ARC_US_Urban_Mich",
"ARC_US_Urban_PlateCarrier_2",
"ARC_US_Urban_Uniform_Light",
"ItemGPS",
"RH_qdss_nt4",
"RH_ta31rco",
"RH_saker",
"RH_compm4s",
"RH_eotech553"
];

vas_backpacks = [
"ARC_US_Backpack_Carryall_Urban",
"ARC_US_Backpack_Carryall_ACU",
"ARC_US_Backpack_Urban_Med",
"ARC_US_Backpack_ACU_Med",
"ARC_US_Kitbag_compact_Urban",
"ARC_US_Kitbag_compact_ACU",
"ARC_US_Backpack_Urban",
"ARC_US_Backpack_ACU",
"tf_anprc155",
"B_Parachute"
];

vas_glasses = [
"G_Balaclava_blk",
"G_Bandanna_aviator",
"G_Bandanna_beast",
"G_Bandanna_blk",
"G_Bandanna_khk",
"G_Bandanna_sport",
"G_Bandanna_tan"
];

vas_r_weapons = [];
vas_r_backpacks = [];
vas_r_magazines = [];
vas_r_items = [];
vas_r_glasses = [];

Edited by CaptainGalaxy

Is there any way to know what attachments are suitable for the weapon I picked? The changelog of VAS tells about some "quick attachment view" fix, but I didn't discover anything like that anywhere. I was trying to find a suitably attachment myself but there are so many so I have no idea what do I need for my rifle. The little menu that should appear to the left from VAS main menu just doesn't show up. There is also no vest/backpack showing to the right of the VAS menu as it is on screenshots/videos. I'm playing Into the Fog scenario that had VAS built in and I also have lots and lots of different weapon/items packs.

Edited by stmalk

Is there any way to know what attachments are suitable for the weapon I picked? The changelog of VAS tells about some "quick attachment view" fix, but I didn't discover anything like that anywhere. I was trying to find a suitably attachment myself but there are so many so I have no idea what do I need for my rifle. The little menu that should appear to the left from VAS main menu just doesn't show up. There is also no vest/backpack showing to the right of the VAS menu as it is on screenshots/videos. I'm playing Into the Fog scenario that had VAS built in and I also have lots and lots of different weapon/items packs.

Sounds like that mission needs an updated version of VAS. That's up to the mission creator.