tonic-_-

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS)

I must be doing something rather stupid, as I still cannot seem to get it to work. I'm on dev branch, not sure if that should matter.

I'm able to get it to work where a trigger will change the contents in singleplayer, but I run into issues in Multiplayer it would seem.

The way my MP mode is currently set up, all triggers fire server side only. So to change the vas_pre_weapons, I tried to have it changed on the server when the trigger fired and then broadcast it using publicVariable "vas_pre_weapons". That seemed to not work out at all.

Next I tried having the clients watch a variable: watcher addPublicVariableEventHandler {vas_pre_weapons = vas_pre_weapons + [(_this select 1)];}, and I tried again using the server's triggers to cause watcher to change to a rifle name (i.e. "arifle_Khaybar_C_F").

I'm sure you're a busy person, so I really appreciate the help. At a glance, does there seem to be something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

I must be doing something rather stupid, as I still cannot seem to get it to work. I'm on dev branch, not sure if that should matter.

I'm able to get it to work where a trigger will change the contents in singleplayer, but I run into issues in Multiplayer it would seem.

The way my MP mode is currently set up, all triggers fire server side only. So to change the vas_pre_weapons, I tried to have it changed on the server when the trigger fired and then broadcast it using publicVariable "vas_pre_weapons". That seemed to not work out at all.

Next I tried having the clients watch a variable: watcher addPublicVariableEventHandler {vas_pre_weapons = vas_pre_weapons + [(_this select 1)];}, and I tried again using the server's triggers to cause watcher to change to a rifle name (i.e. "arifle_Khaybar_C_F").

I'm sure you're a busy person, so I really appreciate the help. At a glance, does there seem to be something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Not familiar with triggers but when I responded I just woke up after a 24 hour coding spree and now that I have food in my system I will explain how VAS works.

If vas_preload is set to true it builds all the configs into VAS_pre_x so if you leave that set to true then you must append to VAS_pre_x. Another method for what you are doing if you are doing a sort of unlocking stage where you reached this point, you get new guns is use the method VAS_x (VAS_weapons, VAS_magazines) through the config.sqf

When using VAS_weapons or the other variables like it, it will not 'preload' and it will only list what you have in those arrays so adding onto those arrays through stages is the method you are looking for.

VAS_weapons set[count VAS_weapons,"arifle_Khaybar_C_F"];

You can broadcast those through the network but the problem is whenever someone new joins in they won't receive those changes because VAS will overwrite all variables for them. You could fix that by modifying the config.sqf and find:

//Want to limit VAS to specific weapons? Place the classnames in the array!
vas_weapons = [];
//Want to limit VAS to specific magazines? Place the classnames in the array!
vas_magazines = [];
//Want to limit VAS to specific items? Place the classnames in the array!
vas_items = [];
//Want to limit backpacks? Place the classnames in the array!
vas_backpacks = [];
//Want to limit goggles? Place the classnames in the array!
vas_glasses = [];

And change it to:

//Want to limit VAS to specific weapons? Place the classnames in the array!
if(isNil "vas_weapons") then {vas_weapons = [];};
//Want to limit VAS to specific magazines? Place the classnames in the array!
if(isNil "vas_magazines") then {vas_magazines = [];};
//Want to limit VAS to specific items? Place the classnames in the array!
if(isNil "vas_items") then {vas_items = [];};
//Want to limit backpacks? Place the classnames in the array!
if(isNil "vas_backpacks") then {vas_backpacks = [];};
//Want to limit goggles? Place the classnames in the array!
if(isNil "vas_glasses") then {vas_glasses = [];};

And that will allow you to have the server broadcast those variables and new clients won't overwrite them.

Well, apparently I broke VAS and it seems no one noticed it :\ Some guns don't show in your gear in the VAS menu i.e Rook or Katiba. I have already located the issue and will be pushing an update out after I finish a new feature that I have actually be wanting and that is the ability to view your character without the full VAS menu open and rotate around like Dslyecxi's Paper doll. I'm also going to adjust the Remove all and have a prompt for whether you want to remove everything (completely strip the character down) or remove whatever is selected in your gear.

I'm curious as to why my load outs are removed when I change my profile's name. Also is there a way to back the VAS loadout saves and import them once I edit my profile? I did search threads at both BI and AH forums, but maybe I'm not using good search terms. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-Salvo

tahanks for this update. one thing im struggling with this script is how to automate its existence?

so how can a person associate this useful script to an ammo box spawned by script? so for example, if i spawn an ammobox in all the barns how do i attach this script to it?

Tonic...loving VAS. I am noticing that every time I respawn with loadout on, it seems I have all my gear except grenades(frags,smokes,chemlights). Is anybody else going through the same problem or is it on my side? Please help?

I'm curious as to why my load outs are removed when I change my profile's name. Also is there a way to back the VAS loadout saves and import them once I edit my profile? I did search threads at both BI and AH forums, but maybe I'm not using good search terms. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-Salvo

I believe it is because the BIS system for saving data to a profile is held in a file called "Profilename.vars.Arma3Profile", in your C:\Users\(Usernamehere)\Documents\Arma 3 folder. Renaming the first part should transfer the old loadouts to the new profile name; you can also copy the file and paste it into other profiles. Just note, that any other data saved to that profile via a mod or mission will be transferred as well.

When i'm about to load VAS, it only says "VAS hasn't finnished loading yet". This happens on every server. I can never access weapon menu..

Just thought I'd report Tonic that the latest patch today, the text on the Dialog screens are gone now. Also, Having a UAV Terminal in the box, did not work the new FIA faction.

Someone should convert this to spawn vehicles aswell.

If people actually want something like this then it can be done (not with VAS) but I can make a system to spawn vehicles from either the Cfg or a pre-set list but limited support for it. I already made something like that for TAW back on ARMA 2 so moving it to A3 won't be any trouble.

If people actually want something like this then it can be done (not with VAS) but I can make a system to spawn vehicles from either the Cfg or a pre-set list but limited support for it. I already made something like that for TAW back on ARMA 2 so moving it to A3 won't be any trouble.

Hey tonic - if you are looking at this, is there a way you could pick the color or other options at the spawn? Sort of make a car picker with all the trimmings?

Sort of a "Tonic's Used Cars Lot" :P

cheers.

Dont mean to bug you, but when can this be expected? I'm actually eager for it already (12 hours later).

So I have a question for any of you experienced. I've been trying to work in the Arma 3 Editor to create a mission for myself to test out game mechanics, but I need the VAS to do so. I've done everything in the instructions & readme's but when I go to use it in my mission, it says that VAS/open.sql cannot be opened. I'm at a loss. Im trying to do this for Altis. Does anyone have an idea for my solution?

one thing i find tricky is getting AI to rearm with VAS. i send the AI there but then the screen flickers up for a second then its gone.

be awesome if there could be a simple rearm as VAS option when giving commands to AI. and that would simply top up all their ammo to full.

one thing i find tricky is getting AI to rearm with VAS. i send the AI there but then the screen flickers up for a second then its gone.

be awesome if there could be a simple rearm as VAS option when giving commands to AI. and that would simply top up all their ammo to full.

I tried this myself and it changed my gear even though the AI was at the box. Try setting the gear you want the AI to use and then dropping it and getting them to pick it up.

I tried this myself and it changed my gear even though the AI was at the box. Try setting the gear you want the AI to use and then dropping it and getting them to pick it up.

I'll give it a try, but there must be a more streamlined way that can be made.

I would suggest that for the easiest way to make it work with AI, would be to have a dropdown with the player at the top, and all the AI units he controls below; one could then select which unit they would want to have the gear added to, and VAS would add to that unit instead of the player.

Sounds like both a very user-friendly way to do it, and a relatively easy way to go about it instead of checking which unit initiated using VAS.

The issue with AI and VAS is quite simple... VAS is what it says... VIRTUAL. Only a human player can recognize VAS and it's functionality. Trying to script it for AI is a bit pointless and to much work. If you need the AI to have specific loadouts at anytime then you need to script that yourself.

Aside from that I have been going overboard on a mission / project some of you may be familiar with and now that it's on my server I can take a break away from it for a bit and plan on using the spare time to finish the next VAS update and push it with a few other things.