tonic-_-

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS)

Did my own scripting yesterday! (scary for me!!!) So, if you could just lay it out for me in the most dumbed down terms, that would be peachy.

Congrats on your first scripting. :) The way to use this is clearly mentioned in the first post of this thread. Look for "Usage" just under the picture. There's one line of code that goes in your ammo box and there's one section of code that goes in your description.ext file. Other that that just include the VAS folder inside your mission.

Hi there,

since the latest ArmA 3 patch VAS is providing errors ingame and in the RPT.

Thousands of lines, all the same:

"::VAS:: Loading config.sqf"
"::VAS:: Building VAS Configs"
Error in expression <tity,_displayName,_picture,_scope,_type,_itemInfo,_cfg,_magazines,_muzzles,_desc>
 Error position: <_itemInfo,_cfg,_magazines,_muzzles,_desc>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _iteminfo

It's referring to the file located at \functions\fn_fetchCfgDetails.sqf, line 109

Is there a quick workaround on how to fix it?

Legislator;2449044']Hi there' date='

since the latest ArmA 3 patch VAS is providing errors ingame and in the RPT.

Thousands of lines, all the same:

"::VAS:: Loading config.sqf"
"::VAS:: Building VAS Configs"
Error in expression <tity,_displayName,_picture,_scope,_type,_itemInfo,_cfg,_magazines,_muzzles,_desc>
 Error position: <_itemInfo,_cfg,_magazines,_muzzles,_desc>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _iteminfo

It's referring to the file located at \functions\fn_fetchCfgDetails.sqf, line 109

Is there a quick workaround on how to fix it?[/quote']

it does it for _iteminfo, _scope and _type if I'm not mistaken. may miss one ...

probably they changed some configfile names...

is there a sure place or a thread for us to document these changes?

also there seem to have new verification of code concerning undefined variables, since some of my script didn't changed but now I have an error (warning?) on some that I didn't have before. That would be time for me to get a better IDE to script and in line with arma3 new rules so I can spot those errors before testing. Squint from Mac's tools look like a good candidate, but it need some update for arma 3

anyway, my server is down until Vas is fixed. I have two things I don't master at all in arma, dialogs and config files. Otherwise I'd be in the config trying to find what has changed for sure.

regards,

Holo

Undefined variable

You can ignore it for now. It really has absolutely no effect on VAS functioning because it will function perfectly fine just it will throw out those stupid undefined errors. it's just something that BIS wants to annoy the crap out of designers that don't want to define variables for specific reasons. I'm growing quite displeased with their decisions. It's bad they force ingame error reporting but to force us to define something that we're already handling is just stupid, kind of like their AI system, hmm I wonder if they let their AI make the decisions?

Edited by Tonic-_-

Undefined variable

You can ignore it for now. It really has absolutely no effect on VAS functioning because it will function perfectly fine just it will throw out those stupid undefined errors. it's just something that BIS wants to annoy the crap out of designers that don't want to define variables for specific reasons. I'm growing quite displeased with their decisions. It's bad they force ingame error reporting but to force us to define something that we're already handling is just stupid, kind of like their AI system, hmm I wonder if they let their AI make the decisions?

I understand your frustration Tonic. It's anoying, since it is still called scripts, we should not be bother with variable definition. That is the main difference between Visial Basic Script and Visual Basic for example.

I agree with BIS with more script checking and reporting that kind of basic error, but I disagree with imposing the error message. It seem the only way to force scripter to improove I think. But scripting will be less friendly for beginners also...

and just the fact that you use Private ["..."] in the beginning of the script should be considered "declared" to my humble opinion. Is BIS thinking about a Declare Private [] thing?

my frustration must be coming from the resistance to changes, I'm at the second stage I think... :-)

edit1: to get rid of the message do you suggest us to put something in the variables at the begining of the script?

edit2: is Coding suggestion a good one on your thread on armaholic ?

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&id=148330

Edited by holo89
suggestions

the fact that you use Private ["..."] in the beginning of the script should be considered "declared" to my humble opinion. Is BIS thinking about a Declare Private [] thing?

I've not seen any info on how BIS is intending this to be handled. Not seen any docs or discussions. Hope something gets ironed out soon.

I'll get over my pissy mood and fix the issue at hand I guess but I think it's safe to say this is the last time that I think I will put up with BIS's bad development decisions, happens again I just quit BIS games. I'll have a fix for the errors and for unwanted gear still popping up in saved loadouts on loading. Was planning on localizing it but meh just won't have the time or could be bothered at this point.

I'll get over my pissy mood and fix the issue at hand I guess but I think it's safe to say this is the last time that I think I will put up with BIS's bad development decisions, happens again I just quit BIS games. I'll have a fix for the errors and for unwanted gear still popping up in saved loadouts on loading. Was planning on localizing it but meh just won't have the time or could be bothered at this point.

Tonic, that would be a loss. Your name is everywhere, and your expertise is golden for newcomer like me.

I'm in such a ticked off mood over this that I can't even write a proper update notice so here it is.

Change log:

Fixed: 3463463462346 Errors caused by the latest and greatest beta changes.

Fixed: Restricted gear sometimes still made it into a load out upon loading it.

Download:

The version that fixes 3463463462346 errors. (v1.5)

Not the most formal update nor am I proud but I needed to express my anger and now I feel better.

Edited by Tonic-_-

I'm in such a ticked off mood over this that I can't even write a proper update notice so here it is.

Change log:

Fixed: 3463463462346 Errors caused by the latest the greatest beta changes.

Fixed: Restricted gear sometimes still made it into a load out upon loading it.

Download:

The version that fixes 3463463462346 errors. (v1.5)

Not the most formal update nor am I proud but I needed to express my anger and now I feel better.

thanks for this so quick fix. I'll test it when I'm home, and put directly in prod since I downed the server anyway.

Error 404 - Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I get that you are angry at how they are doing things, and alot of people are when they change classnames or remove stuff. But one have to be patience as this is the start of Arma3, thats why many people are waiting for a more final version where alot of the changes are gone and just fixes are in the pipeline. But I hope you can overcome and just find a calm. We as a community needs strong scripters and people who produce good stuff; such as your VAS as an example. So breath and think happy thoughts, mate :)

Tonic, that would be a loss. Your name is everywhere, and your expertise is golden for newcomer like me.

+1 don't do it Tonic!!!!!

Error 404 - Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I get that you are angry at how they are doing things, and alot of people are when they change classnames or remove stuff. But one have to be patience as this is the start of Arma3, thats why many people are waiting for a more final version where alot of the changes are gone and just fixes are in the pipeline. But I hope you can overcome and just find a calm. We as a community needs strong scripters and people who produce good stuff; such as your VAS as an example. So breath and think happy thoughts, mate :)

Fixed.

http://www.iamtonic.co/vas/VAS_v15.zip

I forgot my Webserver doesn't play nice when I have /vas/ in all caps because I utilize that specifically for the blog.

Hi,

Laser Designator & Rangefinder are not working with VAS 1.5

^^ yes it is, great how you always fix it so soon after problems occur as well, thanks.

Thanks for sending us the update :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

As always thanks for this most excellent script

I'm going to tell you a story Tonic, it's about an arma fan, who was looking forward to A3. When the alpha came out we had trouble with ammo crates. It caused frustration, he felt let down. Then you released VAS. This allowed us to play the game and have fun. The exact words of this arma fan to me was "a couple of days after the alpha is released and the community is putting out stuff that works better than the game devs stuff". At first it made me frown, and then it made me smile. This is the nature of the arma beast, its a complicated creature, with many facets to get lost in. The game devs try their best, within their constraints, and the community give it their love and effort. This is what makes arma special, where these contributions meet is gaming nirvana. You have a hand in that. And I hope that is never lost in trying to overcome the trials and tribulations of the process of change and progress. Best wishes, and many thanks for your work.

thanks for your hard work , I can no more play without your VAS :))

Fixed: 3463463462346 Errors caused by the latest and greatest beta changes.

I lol'd when i read that on Armaholic front page!

Thanks for the update :cool:

HI,

I can not take the Laser Designator & Rangefinder form VAS. In Edtitor without VAS Laser Designator works fine, but I can not find the Rangefinder.