Sign in to follow this  
g_rider

Everyone gets a trophy syndrome has come to ARMA

I'll ask you. When was that last time you've been on a server with no 3rd person, no cross hairs, no map icons of enemy with an authentic military mission in play? How often is that?

How often? Everytime I launch Arma to be honest :) As long as you are part of an open community or a clan which suits your playstyle, you can get this gameplay any day of the week.

Who crashed the forums?

Edited by G_Rider

How often? Everytime I launch Arma to be honest :) As long as you are part of an open community or a clan which suits your playstyle, you can get this gameplay any day of the week.

Thank God where is this paradise you say exists?

Because I just tried to find it by selecting a veteran difficulty server whose name was “Realism Group so and soâ€.

I spawn in and open my map to read the notes and task and BAM.

I'm dead.

What?

I close my map and see this zero doing what can best be described as bobbing over me. What the hell is that I start to ask myself when I'm shocked to see that my lifeless body is being picked over and stripped! My God I hope deviant behavior isn't modded in as I'm sure this wouldn't be the end of it.......

On second thought nothing has changed or been dumbed down.

Public servers have always been crappy in pretty much every game. If you desire a deep tatical experience you need to join a group of like minded individuals. No different than expecting to find a good pickup game at the Y. Most suck and you need to join a league for any decent organized competition.

Public servers have always been crappy in pretty much every game. If you desire a deep tatical experience you need to join a group of like minded individuals. No different than expecting to find a good pickup game at the Y. Most suck and you need to join a league for any decent organized competition.

QFT

Play with a group of friends, Clan etc and forget public servers in any game these days.

They are rife with cheaters, pwn kiddies and downright wankers.

I've given up on playing PvP (BF3 etc) because it's always the same - some guy with a stupid name (Ir0x0rj00l4m3n00b for example) with 70/1 claiming he is 'just good' and we are all crap

F**k that deal, I just play with my little group and no worries.

Edited by BangTail

QFT

Play with a group of friends, Clan etc and forget public servers in any game these days.

I've given up on playing PvP (BF3 etc) because it's always the same - some guy with a stupid name (Ir0x0rj00l4m3n00b for example) with 70/1 claiming he is 'just good' and we are all crap

A lot of that can be fixed by different mission and server setup.

1. Only playing coop missions will take care of much of the "teamkiller" type

2. Long travel distances with difficult settings so the "kiddies" get bored quickly

3. Disabling any kind of scoring will keep the teenage "pwner" croud out - great you shot someone now get a job

4. Active moderation, scripted punishment zones, cleaning up mission security holes, and monitoring client side scripting will tone down the "hacker" type

So there you have it. The four most annoying types of people largely removed from your server.

I have hope for pubs because I don't want to play with the same nasal sounding wannabe warriors everytime I play Arma and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Point taken.

In fairness the thread (full of sarcasm and belittling) was directed at BIS not the community. And when I was told to stop I did. You're a bit late on that.

More belittling rhetoric. While you take Placebo's point, I suggest you take mine. It is not appropriate for you to comment on the moderating actions of the forum staff in the forum proper. If you have any handed comments to be made, take them to PM.

+1 warning for public discussion of forum moderation.

Maybe its a good example of how things are these days, the main focus of a complete open ended do as you want milsim got truncated down to a 'zombies' mission type, always found the irony strong with that one.
Funny that, in my word-of-mouth promoting for Arma 3 I intentionally promote the open-ended-do-as-you-want aspect and "sandbox 'level' editor" instead of milsim... considering that, I'm perfectly comfortable with the development path and philosophy that I'm seeing thusfar.

QFT

I'm with you. The stats machines can have those games, I get so much more enjoyment out of the teamwork aspect now with good friendly players. Pub gaming has gone the way of the griefer. Not to mention the mor elaid back atmosphere makes it generally simply more enjoyable.

The alpha as it stands is a Sandbox version of battlefield with 3rd person. This is why I am still playing arma 2 CO. Every server you join is PVP or TVT, and that is all people seem to want to play. I will just keep playing on milgo #1 until insurgency and domination come out. I don't mind PVP action, but this is a military based sim and it isn't acting like one(alpha).

Oh no I can't be a petty elitist if they don't add a "Elite strategic tactical realistic grunt" (no operators here that's so unrealistic) difficulty that connects to the internet and joins you up with the local military for real.

The alpha as it stands is a Sandbox version of battlefield with 3rd person. This is why I am still playing arma 2 CO. Every server you join is PVP or TVT, and that is all people seem to want to play. I will just keep playing on milgo #1 until insurgency and domination come out. I don't mind PVP action, but this is a military based sim and it isn't acting like one(alpha).

You seem to think that PvP and MilSim are incompatible? PvP can be quite good in terms of MilSim, but it takes a lot of like-minded P's.

You seem to think that PvP and MilSim are incompatible? PvP can be quite good in terms of MilSim, but it takes a lot of like-minded P's.

Task Force Apache has an MSO mission running on there sever which seems to be quite promising.

Other then that there is a lack of CO-OP being played in the MP world.

The alpha as it stands is a Sandbox version of battlefield with 3rd person.

Not quite, but with a few mods it could be the game BF3 should have been.

The alpha as it stands is a Sandbox version of battlefield with 3rd person.
This description of it makes Arma 3 more appealing, not less.
I will just keep playing on milgo #1 until insurgency and domination come out.
Considering that Xeno specifically said that he refuses permission for anyone else to port over Domination because he's not getting Arma 3 because of Steam... you'd better get to work finding someone to shamelessly rip off Domination. :p
Oh no I can't be a petty elitist if they don't add a "Elite strategic tactical realistic grunt" (no operators here that's so unrealistic) difficulty that connects to the internet and joins you up with the local military for real.
+1 for this person... though I'm on a board with Arma players who are much more blunt about it.
This person deserves a high-five for getting it, and I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere, the devs have moved towards this model as well. And you know what? I'm okay with it -- I even promote the game on that basis!

(What, you thought all the people hyped for BF3 wanted a COD clone? :p)

(What, you thought all the people hyped for BF3 wanted a COD clone? :p)

Dont even go there, many many people have been let down, pushed aside or just forgotten about by that company, infact they closed a whole forum down to try to silence the screams, those people have been looking for a new home ever since, i am hoping Arma 3 is it.

I like good coop missions, but T v T can be really realist and immersive.

Last night we were playing in a TvT server and the point was to fight for the radar station. Both side were doing helo insersion in the moutains and deploying troops to cut attacking routes and stuff like that. It was a public server and people were all taking it seriously. It felt like vietnam and it was awesome.

Domination and Insurgency... oh god, everything there is in A2 public games. They're getting old and stale. I'd rather play other missions on locked, just like i will do in ArmA 3, and did in ArmA 2.

I'm glad people are enjoying TvT in A3, finally some change and variation in the public scene. TvT is much, much better now, and can't even be compared to A2 TvT.

Dont even go there, many many people have been let down, pushed aside or just forgotten about by that company, infact they closed a whole forum down to try to silence the screams, those people have been looking for a new home ever since, i am hoping Arma 3 is it.

MordorHQ.com is our new home, as they closed down EAUK (old mordor). And we're having an coop event this weekend :) Many people over there enjoy ArmA 3!

And i really don't think most BF vets (like me) wants this to be "what BF3 should have been". The core gameplay of ArmA is what makes it this great! It's only about removing the rough edges. :)

Edited by Winfernal

Nailed it. I've used those exact words to describe this game.

MordorHQ.com is our new home, as they closed down EAUK (old mordor). And we're having an coop event this weekend :) Many people over there enjoy ArmA 3!

And i really don't think most BF vets (like me) wants this to be "what BF3 should have been". The core gameplay of ArmA is what makes it this great! It's only about removing the rough edges. :)

Yes I know about mordorHQ :cool: but I kind of lost interest after they closed EAUK and everything pushed to battlelog, all that was left it seemed was a new breed of Bf player, some kind of Cod mutation....

I'm not yet convinced its just about removing the rough edges, but Arma being fully modable is probably its biggest asset.

:)

Bis did you change the difficulty settings so that everyone can feel like a Veteran with their 3rd person camera and digital cross hairs?

I can only find useless servers full of Generation zero's TK'ing anyone in sight, with 3rd person on, cross hairs on, and enemies being shown on the map turned on. Mind you I selected only Veteran servers. Couldn't find any non Justin Bieber servers (expert) with players on them.

What happened? This new ARMA is so dumbed down. I'm affraid to try an inverted loop in a helo using only my keyboard as it would probably make me cry.

A saddened 12 year veteran of the series....

Just think how much worse it would be if jump were to be implemented like these CODtards want, they would be bunny hopping all over too........

Yes I know about mordorHQ :cool: but I kind of lost interest after they closed EAUK and everything pushed to battlelog, all that was left it seemed was a new breed of Bf player, some kind of Cod mutation....

I'm not yet convinced its just about removing the rough edges, but Arma being fully modable is probably its biggest asset.

:)

Yes, this is true! Modding is awesome.

It didn't help me as I did do that via the "play with six app" and I got what used to be cadet mode labeled as now the new Veteran mode.

Others: I notice not one of you replied on the issues that I raised. This is exactly what we mean by Gen Zero. You add up to nothing.

So if it is all about development then why is ARMA II CO now Vet mode with 3rd on and cross hairs on? It didn't used to be that way as a default. I've been away for some time now but this game is nothing about realistic military sandbox anymore but now more about TK'ing everyone at a spawn or a game mode predicated from the same adolescence impulse called wasteland or dayz.

Even worse is that the helos are full arcade now. They were never at Sims quality but they've been dumbed down quite a lot. The problem for some is that if you haven't been around that long you wouldn't know these things. And that is the point isn't it. Nobody that actually won a trophy would accept competing today and see everyone gets one. But the Gen zeros think its just fine and like their cadet trophy labeled Veteran.

This wasn't the case before the "Everyone gets a Trophy Syndrome" landed here...

It's hard to believe even a Gen Zero like myself can facepalm at the lack of credibility you've brought to your own posts. The louder your bark....

Wouldn't be surprised if BI had those "looking for a new home ever since" in mind and intended to draw an influx of more than just DayZ players... :D
Domination and Insurgency... oh god, everything there is in A2 public games. They're getting old and stale. I'd rather play other missions on locked, just like i will do in ArmA 3, and did in ArmA 2.

I'm glad people are enjoying TvT in A3, finally some change and variation in the public scene. TvT is much, much better now, and can't even be compared to A2 TvT.

Is it just me or has TDM/DM actually become more popular as a result of the improved controls and infantry animations/weapons handling? (Considering how Domination/Insurgency were so much of "the casual crowd" and Wasteland has presumably already been diverting them.) Apparently some people find pistols oddly fun enough to create/host pistols-only deathmatch/team deathmatch... even
:eek: And of course,
does nothing to discourage long gun TDM... :D
I believe we have different ideas of "what BF3 should have been" means? Let me clarify my position: along the way it became clear that EA was chasing after COD's coattails and market share, but this even ended up going as far as console becoming the lead platform, hence a shift in focus, and moments like the announcement of Close Quarters -- and worse yet, the "popularity" of Metro 64 on PC -- were understandably taken rather badly by the combined arms fans, especially since the DICE explanation was essentially "you already got catered to with Back to Karkand, now it's the COD fans' turn" :rolleyes: a pity, as of course Armored Kill was hyped up as vehicle-centric, albeit severely nerfing your potential for mayhem and contribution if you weren't in a vehicle! Apparently Aftermath was outright fun, but by then understandably the animosity had set in...

The key thing here is that "BF3" is as mainstream as it gets for "first-person shooter that's not COD" right now, so right now it's possibly both the most mainstream vision of a distinctly non-COD FPS and therefore possibly the most appropriate mental image to 'set the tone' with before explaining how "the Arma concept" differs from "the Battlefield concept"... and truthbetold, I find "milsim" actually less effective at highlighting a difference due to BF3's pretensions towards realism (emphasis on pretension, but it works) and the same problem applies with "scale" (BF3 is already larger scale than COD) so I prefer to focus on the "sandbox" aspect as the sharpest difference... and that's the magic of "removing the rough edges" -- instead of them getting in the way, instead of someone having to already be inclined to "look past the rough edges", its more substantive differences from COD and BF3 are more readily shown. ;)

Hell, have a quote from another forum's Arma 3 thread:

Yeah, ArmA is great as a coop milsim, but treating it like a more complicated game of Battlefield without defined objectives is even better, for my money.

Wouldn't be surprised if BI had those "looking for a new home ever since" in mind and intended to draw an influx of more than just DayZ players... :DIs it just me or has TDM/DM actually become more popular as a result of the improved controls and infantry animations/weapons handling? (Considering how Domination/Insurgency were so much of "the casual crowd" and Wasteland has presumably already been diverting them.) Apparently some people find pistols oddly fun enough to create/host pistols-only deathmatch/team deathmatch... even
:eek: And of course,
does nothing to discourage long gun TDM... :DI believe we have different ideas of "what BF3 should have been" means? Let me clarify my position: along the way it became clear that EA was chasing after COD's coattails and market share, but this even ended up going as far as console becoming the lead platform, hence a shift in focus, and moments like the announcement of Close Quarters -- and worse yet, the "popularity" of Metro 64 on PC -- were understandably taken rather badly by the combined arms fans, especially since the DICE explanation was essentially "you already got catered to with Back to Karkand, now it's the COD fans' turn" :rolleyes: a pity, as of course Armored Kill was hyped up as vehicle-centric, albeit severely nerfing your potential for mayhem and contribution if you weren't in a vehicle! Apparently Aftermath was outright fun, but by then understandably the animosity had set in...

The key thing here is that "BF3" is as mainstream as it gets for "first-person shooter that's not COD" right now, so right now it's possibly both the most mainstream vision of a distinctly non-COD FPS and therefore possibly the most appropriate mental image to 'set the tone' with before explaining how "the Arma concept" differs from "the Battlefield concept"... and truthbetold, I find "milsim" actually less effective at highlighting a difference due to BF3's pretensions towards realism (emphasis on pretension, but it works) and the same problem applies with "scale" (BF3 is already larger scale than COD) so I prefer to focus on the "sandbox" aspect as the sharpest difference... and that's the magic of "removing the rough edges" -- instead of them getting in the way, instead of someone having to already be inclined to "look past the rough edges", its more substantive differences from COD and BF3 are more readily shown. ;)

Hell, have a quote from another forum's Arma 3 thread:

Oh. Yes, i was betrayed by DICE myself. And i fought long and hard for the soul of Battlefield on the EAUK forums, or Mordor (As we were called because of our "negativity".). Before they closed it down. The battlefield series are dead to me now. And frankly, i didn't like the ranks/unlock system in BF2 either.

So for me, the sentence would be... "What BF2 should have been". :) As i liked the older games the most.