Sign in to follow this  
dragonsyr

Map limits for A3?

Is it possible in A3 to make a map 700kmX700km?

anyone knows the limits for the map?

But whats the point in making something that big?

There really isn't I guess unless your just trying to test the limits.

Pretty damn big. This is a time lapse of the Afghan man put on Armaholic not too long ago.

In VBS 2.0 (witch is builded on RV3) they have gotten upto 500km x 500km. With paging improved. And the rigth LOD program. Who knows the limits. Now to the guys that ask why would you need a terrain that big. To run air and naval operations. I do not know what country you guys are from. But I'm realy worry of your like of warfare knowlege. If you can't see past your short sightingness about terrain size. And what it can open up for other operation besides Army. I will put my SSN up against your Platoon to Battalion any day.

In VBS 2.0 (witch is builded on RV3) they have gotten upto 500km x 500km. With paging improved. And the rigth LOD program. Who knows the limits. Now to the guys that ask why would you need a terrain that big. To run air and naval operations. I do not know what country you guys are from. But I'm realy worry of your like of warfare knowlege. If you can't see past your short sightingness about terrain size. And what it can open up for other operation besides Army. I will put my SSN up against your Platoon to Battalion any day.

It doesnt really come down to 'lack of warfare knowledge' I don't think he's thinking in those terms. I think for just a lone map maker creating a terrain that big and actually populating it with cities and objects and finishing it to completion would be just impossible.

It doesnt really come down to 'lack of warfare knowledge' I don't think he's thinking in those terms. I think for just a lone map maker creating a terrain that big and actually populating it with cities and objects and finishing it to completion would be just impossible.

+1

Really don't see the warfare aspect in terrain size. You can create a big sea or desert map, yes, but everything else is just beyond scope and CPU power. See how slow Chernarus could get with its relatively few objects...and its size of only 225km...

populating it with cities and objects and finishing it to completion would be just impossibl

just for refference , it would be nearly impossible to do it accurately ,however with construction module it can be automated ,

I.E

Adjust size of town in Module and use export script and utilize nearest objects and diag_log format ["%1 ,%2......" pos ,dir ....] etc to export in .vis format and import to v3 and utilize new .shp file for roads its a plausible method

this will give some population of large maps with ease but again to accutarely populate i dont think its feasible.

Whoa.. lol. Put the e-peen away before someone loses an eye!

See how slow Chernarus could get with its relatively few objects...and its size of only 225km...
Few objects... well, relatively speaking... here it states that there are 1 million of 3d objects on Chernarus.

Now i dont want to even think about how many objects would be needed for an island, like the one in that video, to get rid of the feeling of total emptiness :)

"Few" because the even the larger cities like Elektro and Cherno consist of only few streets and houses, nothing in comparison to a RL town...so that taken into account and projected on 700x700km is lol.....

Has everyone forgotten about paging technology improvements? We're not talking about a single PC supporting the terrain, but a server supporting the objects and environment of the terrain. Letting the agent view the part of the terrain they would need to see. This takes the load off of the processor.

Again:

• Larger terrain (up to 500km x 500km)

• Paging (streaming terrain)

• Increased view distance up to 40km

• Direct fire support from armored vehicles in support of an infantry maneuver

• Support for shape data overlays

• Scuba Diving

• Increased terrain detail and dynamic grid

• Fixed-frame support

• Multi-core support

• Particle effect improvements

• Micro AI

• Parallax Mapping

• Parachuting

All of the above are improvements in RV3. Now the question is how will RV4 handle terrain. At this time we don't know.

ok . i got the point ....but how ms flight sim and xplane 10 manage the maps of all world without the need of super computer? i dont understand the purpose of the afterburner on planes if we have only few km of terrain.Also what is the reason of nuclear weapons on a map that if you detonate it you dead too.

is it so difficult to change the terrain when you reach the limits of the map you use? (link maps something)

This is a question that I have from Arma2.

i imagine global conflicts and thats the reason of this querry.

sorry for my english......

i think you understand what i mean

Other than computing power arguments...I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt want larger maps.

Heck if there was a way to use the Microsoft FSX world map, in Arma 2 or 3...imagine the possibilites, virtual war in any location. The FSX world map has about 10x less resolution than the actual NASA mapping it was generated from. It's probably 5x less resolution than BI maps...but still, as long as there was a program for replacing models... fsx tree for BI tree, fsx house for BI house, road for road, gas station for gas station, etc etc...that would be awesome!

Other than computing power arguments...I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt want larger maps.

Heck if there was a way to use the Microsoft FSX world map, in Arma 2 or 3...imagine the possibilites, virtual war in any location. The FSX world map has about 10x less resolution than the actual NASA mapping it was generated from. It's probably 5x less resolution than BI maps...but still, as long as there was a program for replacing models... fsx tree for BI tree, fsx house for BI house, road for road, gas station for gas station, etc etc...that would be awesome!

that is my imagination..........global conflicts.........

Sounds great indeed. What would be needed is an satellite image analyzer, creating houses there where houses are and woods there where woods are etc.

Still those maps would look kinda boring because they lack the detail and randomness of hand-drawn maps..a bush here, a rock there, things like deerstands, fences and whatnot...stuff you simply don't see on the sat image. That is where you need manual work and creativity and that is the reason why it takes very long to reproduce real world terrain by hand!

Sounds great indeed. What would be needed is an satellite image analyzer, creating houses there where houses are and woods there where woods are etc.

Still those maps would look kinda boring because they lack the detail and randomness of hand-drawn maps..a bush here, a rock there, things like deerstands, fences and whatnot...stuff you simply don't see on the sat image. That is where you need manual work and creativity and that is the reason why it takes very long to reproduce real world terrain by hand!

The FSX world map is indeed (except for major cities and road networks) very general. But, the map itself has base line generation for each landscape style and trees according regions(or sat image analyzer data), already. Really you would just need a program to do the "one for one" swap as I posted above and then auto-generate random background stuff like rocks, deerstands and things that don't exist at a flight sim level of detail.

It really could be done if both Microsoft and BI shook hands on it. But, who am I kidding...Microsoft is the roadblock on that one.

Having very large maps would be wonderful for MSO events, where a community does the equivalent of invading a country in a series of missions that save in a persistent world. That, and as someone else said before, air and naval operations.

Plus, bigger is always better so long as it's feasible.

The game featuring THAT engine will be the thing we all are waiting for I guess :)

Hey zero I think you got your videos mixed up. Those are real life vids =p

I am against huge maps.

Why? Simply because as you guys allready said - it will be nearly impossible to fill the map accordingly. And I dont want to play on a map that has the size of germany but looks as OFP CWC because of the missing fine tuning.

Big maps are great as long as they can be filled like small maps. Sadly - the level of detail often decreases with the size of the map.

For games like DCS A10 it is ok since you are allways far away from the ground. But as a ground soldier I would not be interested in playing this game=/

Maybe I am too much of a graphic freak^^

That said: IF the map details are as detailed as they are now - and there is no performance hit. Then I will yell "hallelulja" and agree completely with you.

But till then - its a long way:P

Best regards!

imagine this... i have my island with a base for my team on dedi server. You have your island with a base to another server. i set somehow my server neighboring islands ,example west neighborhood your server , east neighborhood another server...... or west neighborhood takistan , east neighborhood chernarus, north panthera , south your island........

this way you dont have big maps but you can jump to another island....

maybe this is stupid idea but i m not a programmer .....

how about this:

use what we do have already and put all official maps from OFP (Everon, Malden, ..) ArmA (Sahrani+Rahmadi) und ArmA2 (Chernarus) up to ArmA3 (Stratis) together onto a single map

chernarus top left + other isles around, but not spread out too far, so we can still use boats to reach all isles

so there will be no need to create many things new, most know the maps, we have several different types of terrain and alot space for airborne/naval operations

maybe one needs to fresh up at least the OFP-Maps a bit with more trees and buildings

Sahrani ran in ArmA2 like hell (view-dist 10000m easily)

how about?