Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Why is performance (especially on multiplayer, and AMD cpu's) not a known issue?

Surely this comes before any other bugs since people can't actually even play the game with this performance.

G23Z2hI.jpg

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=220

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1264

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=465

The tracker is literally full of these low fps/low utilization reports. I'm much above the recommended and I can't even get the minimum required 30 FPS performance on Standard or Low settings.

Edited by Leopardi

These pictures were taken at Wastelands 1.05 and highlight the problem:

e39h4jz7urb8.png

7rr4pmrlku5m.png

7onqd9nss5kh.png

47isg8yttqz5.png

In none of the situations encountered my GPU or CPU was nearly 100% but the FPS were always in an unplayable area!

Especially look at the car pic (3rd). All CPU cores are below 50% load, my GPU is at 32% and yet I have <20fps.

Something is wrong here.

Note that I do not have a AMD cpu but an i7.

Well let's hope they will acknowledge it in next SITREP http://alpha.arma3.com/ and include in Known Issues.

We are very happy on the other side to read the many positive reports regarding performance

After few days of the Alpha, and hundreds of reports on feedback tracker regarding performance issues this statement is just not right. :(

Source

here is what i put on the bug tracker

you lot will laugh but ihave dual screens and on screen two i have my monitoring software.

now when i start the game it uses ell over 80-90% of my cpu.

so starting the game uses more cpu horse power than actually running the game.

im not joking test it start the game and watch cpu usage go well over 90%

Rendering that ArmA3 logo at the start is more demanding than 100 AIs bro

Btw if you really want to see how severe lack of performance is compared to A2, drop chernarus from your arma2 folder into arma3 mod folder and set settings for them to look the same. It's -20 fps for me at the worse settings and lower VD.

running wastelands is an issue

Many servers report this mission as being resource hungry

Is this the issue that BIS knows well but there isn't much they can do about it for now?

But performance feels IMO better than in Arma 2 but the utilization issue hasn't gone anywhere.

Is this the issue that BIS knows well but there isn't much they can do about it for now?

But performance feels IMO better than in Arma 2 but the utilization issue hasn't gone anywhere.

for now: less features, 1/10 map size, less vehicles, less stuff all around.

even so, in certain scenarios (flying heli, explosions, lots of AI, lots of people on multiplayer, etc) the fps goes to hell and becomes unplayable. yes, it is acceptable in an alpha, but the same issues happen on arma 2, meaning its not about being an alpha or not.

i personally doubt simple optimizations will fix this, i believe this is a core issue with the engine and how the game separates the cpu workloads between threads (it doesnt).

but i choose to believe they will fix this before the game launchs, since it is still an alpha. the reason i keep voicing my concern its so the issue isnt ignored like it was/is on arma 2, and also, to clarify to does who arent familiar with arma 2 so they too voice their concerns.

but btw theres an stickied thread 30+ pages about this, so use that one.

Edited by white

running wastelands is an issue

Many servers report this mission as being resource hungry

Any mission with about 20 players will have that issue. But why should the server being stressed influence the FPS the client has?

If the server was laggy and running at 2 FPS you could easily have 60FPS on your client in ArmA 2.

Any mission with about 20 players will have that issue. But why should the server being stressed influence the FPS the client has?

If the server was laggy and running at 2 FPS you could easily have 60FPS on your client in ArmA 2.

Engine flaw i suppose, and i dont understand it either tbh.

Engine flaw i suppose, and i dont understand it either tbh.

Flaw like that coupled with the horrible client side performance issues even without it has potential to kill the game. ArmA is more and more gaining sales from the multiplayer side.

Well i just find the fact astonishing that we dont have any dedicated server files yet. On a game where the server dictates the FPS. D:

These pictures were taken at Wastelands 1.05 and highlight the problem:

In none of the situations encountered my GPU or CPU was nearly 100% but the FPS were always in an unplayable area!

Especially look at the car pic (3rd). All CPU cores are below 50% load, my GPU is at 32% and yet I have <20fps.

Something is wrong here.

Note that I do not have a AMD cpu but an i7.

Same for me. Tested it on Warfare server and got <50% CPU and <20% GPU and the FPS was horrible (about 10FPS at spawn :( )

rig:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3,8 Ghz

8 Gb RAM

Radeon HD 6970

I also got problems with my FPS. Got a nVidia Graphics Card (GTX 560Ti) and AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Single Player no problem everything works smooth on high. Multiplayer depends on server on some no problem but mostly about 10-15 FPS CPU only 30%-50% used (all cores). Changing graphics settings makes no difference, still running bad.

I am starting to think this may be a serious problem, a deal breaker, if this is what we are seeing on Stratis, a tiny island compared to Altis. I think with Altis the problem will only be greater. I know it is alpha, but this feels too familiar to A2OA and the problems there. I don't think optimization is going to help, if the engine struggles to run Stratis with 50 AI, then it will crap itself running Altis with 100 AI. The game is due in 5 months tops, I am doubtful this utilization problem will be fixed within that time, as the problem has existed on A2OA for years now with no fixes.

it's pretty much the same thing that turned me off from playing Wasteland in Arma 2. I love the game, but can't deal with 19 fps (30-40 is fine)

I know we've been beating this horse to death, but it really is heartbreaking seeing these same issues again. you have this amazing game, but there's this huge obstacle that is gonna hold it back

I am starting to think this may be a serious problem, a deal breaker, if this is what we are seeing on Stratis, a tiny island compared to Altis. I think with Altis the problem will only be greater. I know it is alpha, but this feels too familiar to A2OA and the problems there. I don't think optimization is going to help, if the engine struggles to run Stratis with 50 AI, then it will crap itself running Altis with 100 AI. The game is due in 5 months tops, I am doubtful this utilization problem will be fixed within that time, as the problem has existed on A2OA for years now with no fixes.

Wrong. The MP issue is completely new.

If you ever monitored your A2 server with Warfare (benny's for example) and you saw its FPS drop to 3 (well only in earlier versions due to his excellent skills!) the players still had lots of FPS. Try driving a car in A3 with a few players on a server. You get 15 FPS.

Oddly, enough I lag more in single player in the infantry and heli showcase, I tried 2 servers non wasteland i will have to try them out.

You can use dedicated servers...

Oh, great suggestion.

Except no. The server should not interfere in the framerate of the clients.

ArmA is literally the only game that does it.