Sign in to follow this  
S.Newbould

Installing steam on windows 2008 server

Hi,

I want to install steam on my windows 2008 server. However im running into all kinds of problems and I am just wondering anyone who has successfully installed steam on a windows 2008 server could help me out. I first started out by downloading the client and running that however when I tried to run the program I was given the error message:

Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again

So after some lengthy time browsing the internet I found a solution to this problem if I went into the steam folder located in the c/ and launched the steamtmp it would start to update success right? No. When the update reached 100% I received this error:

Error failed to write output file "steamui_2125.pkg

Searched the internet again no viable fix for this error I could find so im hoping someone knows something or has encountered this problem and managed to fix it as im sure a lot of people are using Terox method of making a dedicated server using steam and someone must have come across this problem.

Thanks.

if you are using 1 steam account for the server and the client, as per the tutorial, you can only have 1 steam installation ONLINE at any one time.

if this is the case, maybe your firewall is stopping steam talking to the outside world

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)

TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)

UDP 4379 (Outbound)

UDP 4380 (Outbound)

If this helps or if you find a solution, can you post your findings so that others with the same issue can also be helped

I can then add it to this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

And how would I do this? I am not familiar with Windows server 2008 port forwarding. If you could tell me how to that would be great.

Thanks.

in your windows 2008 server desktop search field type "Firewalll"

Select the Firewall with advanced security tab

Select Inbound rules

Select New rule in R.H window

from there select the port option and add the relative ports

Repeat for outbound rules,

see ArmA3 port forwarding in the first post of this thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

There are other methods, but that ones fairly easy

Google is your friend as always if you get stuck

Edited by Terox

Terox managed to fix it using what you have told me. However now Im running into another problem. When trying to run arma on the server it gives me an error telling me that the d3d11.dll file is missing. No idea what to do tried googling the answer but its mainly all for suggested clients and not servers. If you have any information let me know.

Alright TheNorthernBrit go to google and type in download d3d11.dll click the first link scroll down and you will see download Zip File click it wait for it to download , now go to Steam Folder > Steam apps > common > Now your Arma Folder and put that dll file in there and your done.

Thanks Hulk that solved my problem!

However now I am getting ANOTHER error >.> jesus this really does not want to work with me. I now am getting the createDXGIfactory1 error when trying to launch the game obviously changing the target line to a server mode before. I have tried updating the system that has gave me nothing.

Help!

Is your server 2008 R2 or just 2008? Make sure you have DirectX 11 installed on your server (packaged with the game) or search and install for dx11 web installer.

Oh and don't download and install .dll files from random websites.