This Addon makes the Ground Textures more flat. So that they

no longer look like a Satellite Image.

Version 1.0: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19123

or http://netload.in/datei0hVmZ8wSXF/La...3A_1.0.rar.htm

ARMA3 Alpha: iHVttOrJM63Mb.jpg

ARMA3 Landtex: iOYW4IJuZswSR.jpg

Edited by Picolly
Images <100kb

Would be great if you could post a Before/After comparison picture (or several) :)

Very needed.Thanks! Chernarus Landtex is great, I have always added when playing Arma2 SP.

The comparison come into the file:

ORiginal stratis:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6708/landtexa3aa.jpg (494 kB)

With Landtex:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4782/landtexa3ab.jpg (400 kB)

I like it very much. The improvement is great.This should be the default land texture.

Edited by Down8

The midrange looks alot better, even though I prefer the default texture for really high distances, cause landtex is too smooth in these parts imo. A noise filter dependant on the distance would be great.

You done really good job but..imo the 'Default' ground (although WIP) makes up for the lack of *more objects and physical relief-lowering the percentage to-be-spotted by (at least) a human eye.

Also default texture has more similarities to Greece's ground (no smoothness in RL)

*Please consider the above no less as Constructive criticism

imo you lost tons of the detailed small patches of irregularity, it might have negative impact on clutter variety generation ... yet nice for first try

I have to agree with Dwarden and I actually like the vanilla version better for long distances. The only "problem" with the ingame version are mid ranges imho.

I liked Landtex in Chernarus, since it's much greener. But those Mediterranean islands kind of need this dry look.

Landtex sure does upgrade the medium range textures but in the far distance, the vanilla ones look more real

Yep, quite nice work. But as a lot are saying, long distance looked better with vanilla textures. And I think we can clearly undertand now the problem when trying to get some nice textures for the ground for ArmA. It's a tricky one ! I already saw too much ruckus about how ugly are the vanilla textures. I do think it's possible to find a good compromise, but it might take some time to. This isn't COD where we only need to see 2m ahead. We're talking about kilometers here. And without a way to make some sort of "LOD texturing", having same quality 2m ahead and 2km ahead will be really hard to acheive.

Anyway and again, that's still a really nice first try OP ! :)

imo you lost tons of the detailed small patches of irregularity, it might have negative impact on clutter variety generation ... yet nice for first try

yeah it looks pretty blurry and undetaled. good for a flight sim to have smoother transitions, but very bad for ground level.

Hello there

I actaully like the look of this, just from the posted images, I shall test out ingame.

Yes, it does not look "correct" when placed side by side with the original but taken by itself it seems to stand up in it's own right.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I'll test it out.

Rgds

LoK

I'd rather lose the long range details to be rid of the mid range smudgyness judging from the screenshots. But I think that the vanilla screenshot is very unflattering and it doesn't look that "bad" when playing the game. That screenshot makes it look like a flight simulator when you fly too low.

I agree. Original is much better, much more detailed from afar.

I think a great solution will be just taking original texture, increasing its resolution and adding noise. Not blurring it.

Hello there

After a quick play about, i feel that the colour needs to be Mediterraneanised its very ....green at the moment.

There is a lack of "clutter" as other folk have pointed out and this results in a very Everon feel.

I like the idea, but for me it needs a little work. A good start!

Rgds

LoK

Great work. perhaps you can add more detail to it and i think there is to much green in the texture (everon feeling). anyway great work

Thanks for all the comments. :)

There has been much said what I thought about it. I am also test how it works.

Unfortunately, that's a lot of work because the paa plugin for Photoshop not work for me.

I do not know why that is. Maybe at the CS6 Trail that I use at the moment.

(..sorry for my english, I use a translation program)

Edited by Picolly

Thanks for all the comments. :)

There has been much said what I thought about it. I am also test how it works.

Unfortunately, that's a lot of work because the paa plugin for Photoshop not work for me.

I do not know why that is. Maybe at the CS6 Trail that I use at the moment.

(..sorry for my english, I use a translation program)

Try using GIMP instead of Photoshop.

Which rather highlights that the game needs another texture step between mid-detail (?) and satmap so that something like this that is less blurry can be blended in to take away the blotchiness at middle distances.

Which rather highlights that the game needs another texture step between mid-detail (?) and satmap

I think this is pretty much correct... It isn't the Stratis sat layer itself which is causing this "mid-range blurriness" - I've made a sat layer or two in my time and Stratis is a good one! - I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the engine and the distance at which it's "transitioning" to some sort of "mid-range focus" or something, and it's a little too close - it happens a little "too early"...

I made a fast test map for A3 - no objects, just a really detailed sat layer, ground textures, etc for testing all of this stuff...

The sat layer is REALLY detailed - 0.5m/px detailed - probably not far off twice the resolution of Stratis... it has really fine-detailed "cliffs" and you can see the detail just "vanish" as you slowly move back away from them, whereas in A2 the whole thing is a lot less "abrupt"...

Like there's some kind of "cutoff distance" for the textures where they drop to a lower mipmap or something...

It's an Alpha! Normally we wouldn't see anything this early on in the development process... our feedback on this and all other topics is being carefully listened to, you can bet.....

B

Bushlurker! Would you mind showing us your map? I would love to see a comparison to stratis - and especially how a sat map with 0,5m/ox looks ingame!

I am sure there are lot of others interested in your work on (iguess) your "lost world" map;)

Also - would you mind explaining what to change to get arma 3 maps running in regard to Arma 2 maps?

Best regards!!

btw: Here is allready a BIG topic about the mid distance textures - greetings!!

Ps:@-Picolly- : Wenn du möchtest übersetzte ich dir alles was du schreiben möchtest auf Englisch=) Freiburger Leutz haben immer meine volle Unterstützung;) Sers!

PPs: Mh....I just tried out the mod...While I greatly appreciate your work - I am not very satisfied=( You made a solid job on the texutre - but the game looks a bit dull with all these big equally coloured areas. No offense - I greatly appreciate you work.

Edited by NordKindchen

it has really fine-detailed "cliffs" and you can see the detail just "vanish" as you slowly move back away from them, whereas in A2 the whole thing is a lot less "abrupt"...

Like there's some kind of "cutoff distance" for the textures where they drop to a lower mipmap or something...

interesting. I also recognized something that seems like a too early cutoff to me. but its not about terrain 3d, more about texture quality - could although aim to the same problem.

I made a short ingame video about it - explains more than words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLzk-rfqZT8&feature=youtube_gdata

(Graphic Profile is set to Very high)