Phantom Six

Discussion on mission filename format

I figure it would be much nicer to organize missions for server hosts etc if people were to follow a mission naming standard like this one by Celery http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?82816-Mission-name-standard . I tend to depbo missions and just rename them to the standards that suit me to make it more easier to find things, hopefully someone goes by a naming standard.

Terox here makes a good point.

Here is the basic standard that we tried to get a conscensus on many moons ago

We never accomplished a community wide agreement but a lot of servers renamed missions to comply or used the format

So before anyone gets on their high horse, this isnt compulsory, nobody is saying it must be done this way, it would just be nice if we tried to do it this way

1. MOD TAG
  2. GAME TYPE
  3. Addon Tag
  4. Number of Players
  5. Mission title
  6. Version number

MOD TAG

For BIS (Vanilla missions, can be left out or use BIS)

Other examples ACE, I44 (Always in capitals)

GAME TYPE

Always use lower case

example

• co = coop
  • ad = Attack and defend
  • sc = sector control

ADDON TAG

The symbol "@" is used to "warn" that this mission uses additional NON Mod addons

Number of Players

If less than 10, prefix with a 0, eg 08

Just one number , not 04-20

Mission Title

That's whatever you want to name it, keep the length down though, there was a reason for it, max length of a filename string, I cant remember the specifics

Version

Without this a server admin has no idea which is the latest version of a mission, making duplications in their MPMissions folders

The standard here was never agreed upon, here are some typical uses

v007

v_007

v0.7

I suppose as long as the mission maker uses the same convention for all his mission, it doesnt really matter.

Spaces between the tags

If there is just a space, the engine fills the blank in with %20

So you would need to use an underscore or edit the filename before you make it public by removing the underscore and replacing it with a space (outside of the engine)

co_20_mymission_v01

becomes

co 20 mymission v01

The latter can be done by mass file renaming on the server by the admins

so spaces are good for the eye, underscores are good for when saving the mission in the editor

Full format examples

co_09_My1stmission_v01

co_22_My1stmission_v02

co@_25_My1stmission_v01

ACE_co_09_MyMission v01

ACE_co@_09_MyMission v01

ACE_co_20_MyMission v04

Mass renamed with spaces looks like

co 09 My1stmission v01

co 22 My1stmission v02

co@ 25 My1stmission_v01

ACE co 09 MyMission v01

ACE co@ 09 MyMission v01

ACE co 20 MyMission v09

Think about what this looks like with 200 missions in the server list and then you will start to appreciate how not using a filename convention causes issues

Without going into a lengthy explanation, what this does is organise the list in MPMissions and the backend server list in Alpha Numerical order in a priority that is very useful to the server admin

When a server admin loads a mission, it is selected in the following prioroty

1. What Mod are we playing (Hence the mod tag comes first)
  2. What type of game are we wanting to play (Hence the game type comes second)
  3. Does the mission uses addons from our addon pack, are there players on the server who don't have that addon pack: (Hence the "@")
  4. How many player slots do we need, eg how many on the server (Hence the Player slots is the third element)

By having the format this way, it segregates missions by mods and lists them in the order that the admin needs to be able to select them

You could go with ACE@_co_09_mymission

That way all ACE mod missions that use additional addons are seperated into 1 cluster in your mpmissions list

What I do if I upload a mission that doesnt have the information in or the format that i need, I rename the filename.

So if for example I uploaded a mission and didnt have a clue what type of mission it wasbecause the filename format didnt give any clues that had a name like

MyUbermissionyoumustplay.island.pbo

I would add "Unknown" characters to the filename until such a time as i decided to work through the list and rename the mission to my standards

So

becomes

xx_xx_myubermissionyoumustplay.island.pbo

and finally becomes

co_09_myubermission.island.pbo

I, however tend to steer clear of version numbers.

When making missions, remember this

mission makers need to keep the file name as close as possible to the mission name

Edited by Phantom Six

100% Agreed!

This should be a sticky!

We only got 30 missions on the server, but it's already full-blown chaos... people REALLY must respect the mission naming standard.

Too bad that BIS didn't just force this in the Intel tab in the Editor (So you would HAVE to select a prefix.) :(

^reason why I rename every mission I download to the prefix, then depbo the files with eliteness, then edit mission.sqm with notepad++, then package them with cpbo, then throw them in the mpmissions folder. Much easier to the eye. Maybe a mission renaming pack would be nice like 76's but to me his method was too eyestraining. Maybe I can do it myself sometimes if I have time since i already do that for myself but I'll probably miss a handful of missions and only download the ones to my interest and even then I'd prob still miss a few.

rgr this

will rename ours to CO_22_GITS_Evolution_v0-3.Stratis

I tend to keep the CO and numbers together, but that's just me. I see back in OFP is would be separate like co_22. I tend to go with co22 but its close enough to me so it won't cause too much trouble searching.

What I find would be problematic would be for example "GITS%20Evolution" (%20 probably the filler in for the space instead of _) and then ingame name would be GITS Evolution. If searching for say a 4 player coop mission and GITS support up to 22, that would be a hassle :P . I mostly see the spacebar issue more for the newer mission creators and first timers. The _ without prefixes is a common issues that already goes around.

Well anyways, thanks for renaming :)

With this said, how can I have missions come out of the editor in a better format? I run into some serious issue sometimes when I rename them with all && signs and such and than pbo them.

Don't put spaces in the file name or weird characters. Keep this part of the filename under 28 characters to avoid the editor creating a new mission folder on you (is it 28? can't remember)

co22_Best_Mission_v1a.stratis.pbo

co22_ACE_Best_Mission_v1a.stratis.pbo

Put the filename or part of it in the mission name field as well (under Advanced Intel)

ACE co22 Best Mission version 1a

More 'no respawn' mission on the way from my end. Though the options are limited with so little content to work with. Wish the alpha had already more placable small objects such as 'evidence', briefcase, etc that are useful to create mission objectives with. It is mostly now, blow up the crates, or capture the base, or kill the HVT, etc.

More 'no respawn' mission on the way from my end. Though the options are limited with so little content to work with. Wish the alpha had already more placable small objects such as 'evidence', briefcase, etc that are useful to create mission objectives with. It is mostly now, blow up the crates, or capture the base, or kill the HVT, etc.

This.

I would like to make an extended campaign in the arma3 environment-- but until little bits and pieces to pick up and destroy get added, as well as more interesting terrain, it will have to be put on hold. Thank the skies for community modders.

-k

Ah... but they did find time to add the Field Toilet :p

This.

I would like to make an extended campaign in the arma3 environment-- but until little bits and pieces to pick up and destroy get added, as well as more interesting terrain, it will have to be put on hold. Thank the skies for community modders.

-k

An idea of mine.... swim around... addaction "blow up some boats". Script a time bomb after you swim away and watch boats blow up? Then reinforcement comes and you can swim back to shore, change your gear back and assist reinforcement take over some base or whatsoever?

I'll make a few more missions for ARMA 2 first then go to ARMA 3, but I'll change on back and forth, I'll get some stuff when I get some time. Weekdays get busy.

zThis is a very old discussion, been done many times before.

No solution is perfect, issues with linux, requirements of some server admins and other opinions will never get everybody to agree

Here is the basic standard that we tried to get a conscensus on many moons ago

We never accomplished a community wide agreement but a lot of servers renamed missions to comply or used the format

So before anyone gets on their high horse, this isnt compulsory, nobody is saying it must be done this way, it would just be nice if we tried to do it this way

1. MOD TAG
  2. GAME TYPE
  3. Addon Tag
  4. Number of Players
  5. Mission title
  6. Version number

MOD TAG

For BIS (Vanilla missions, can be left out or use BIS)

Other examples ACE, I44 (Always in capitals)

GAME TYPE

Always use lower case

example

• co = coop
  • ad = Attack and defend
  • sc = sector control

ADDON TAG

The symbol "@" is used to "warn" that this mission uses additional NON Mod addons

Number of Players

If less than 10, prefix with a 0, eg 08

Just one number , not 04-20

Mission Title

That's whatever you want to name it, keep the length down though, there was a reason for it, max length of a filename string, I cant remember the specifics

Version

Without this a server admin has no idea which is the latest version of a mission, making duplications in their MPMissions folders

The standard here was never agreed upon, here are some typical uses

v007

v_007

v0.7

I suppose as long as the mission maker uses the same convention for all his mission, it doesnt really matter.

Spaces between the tags

If there is just a space, the engine fills the blank in with %20

So you would need to use an underscore or edit the filename before you make it public by removing the underscore and replacing it with a space (outside of the engine)

co_20_mymission_v01

becomes

co 20 mymission v01

The latter can be done by mass file renaming on the server by the admins

so spaces are good for the eye, underscores are good for when saving the mission in the editor

Full format examples

co_09_My1stmission_v01

co_22_My1stmission_v02

co@_25_My1stmission_v01

ACE_co_09_MyMission v01

ACE_co@_09_MyMission v01

ACE_co_20_MyMission v04

Mass renamed with spaces looks like

co 09 My1stmission v01

co 22 My1stmission v02

co@ 25 My1stmission_v01

ACE co 09 MyMission v01

ACE co@ 09 MyMission v01

ACE co 20 MyMission v09

Think about what this looks like with 200 missions in the server list and then you will start to appreciate how not using a filename convention causes issues

Without going into a lengthy explanation, what this does is organise the list in MPMissions and the backend server list in Alpha Numerical order in a priority that is very useful to the server admin

When a server admin loads a mission, it is selected in the following prioroty

1. What Mod are we playing (Hence the mod tag comes first)
  2. What type of game are we wanting to play (Hence the game type comes second)
  3. Does the mission uses addons from our addon pack, are there players on the server who don't have that addon pack: (Hence the "@")
  4. How many player slots do we need, eg how many on the server (Hence the Player slots is the third element)

By having the format this way, it segregates missions by mods and lists them in the order that the admin needs to be able to select them

You could go with ACE@_co_09_mymission

That way all ACE mod missions that use additional addons are seperated into 1 cluster in your mpmissions list

What I do if I upload a mission that doesnt have the information in or the format that i need, I rename the filename.

So if for example I uploaded a mission and didnt have a clue what type of mission it wasbecause the filename format didnt give any clues that had a name like

I would add "Unknown" characters to the filename until such a time as i decided to work through the list and rename the mission to my standards

So

becomes

xx_xx_myubermissionyoumustplay.island.pbo

and finally becomes

co_09_myubermission.island.pbo

hope that gives you an idea to work with

For the OP.

1. If you want to do this right, I propose you ask a moderator to rename the thread to "Discussion on mission filename format" or something that makes it really obvious. You dont want to discuss 2 topics in 1 thread if you can help it
  2. I would then edit your first post and try to keep the original post updated, as I have done in :icon_arrow:Example thread
  3. There is a mission designers skype group channel, I would getb on there too and get them into the discussion

In the hopeful event that you can create a standard convention used by the majority and eventually make this into a tutorial thread and get it stickied

Server admins enforce their standards on their servers anyway, would be nice if the mission makers made it easier for us

The best solution would be for BIS to add fields in the mission editor that when the "Save" file button is selected, automatically creates the filename in a set convention.

The "Mod tag" could be user defined in an Entry field box

The number of playable slots can be automatically added

this leaves an addon tag abd a version control entry field and then all this hassle will be resolved

Good luck

Edited by Terox

I am working on a couple more no-respawn missions (highly randomized/dynamic like Operation Spartan Shield... though I dunno if there actually is a demand for missions like that), but as bootsy said, its hard... especially since things become boring quick if you have no assets to make something a bit unique. You can make soldiers/civs look quite unique by randomizing their loadout/clothing through scripting, but other than that...

I like to keep it to the classic no respawn/revive coop missions. Some quick missions are also nice for people who wants to do a quick round. Nice and classy.

Approved and already been fixing some missions as well for the 88th Blue Devils Funshack Server. Hope all ye new mission makers get the memo.

Great post Terox but I think version numbers on the file names can get a little messy. I'm more okay with it on the briefing name.

To people making missions in general. When making missions, remember this

mission makers need to keep the file name as close as possible to the mission name

Edited by Phantom Six

Renaming the file will not change the mission display name in the mission selection screen in the game. The in-game display name will be the file's name only if the briefingName field is removed from mission.sqm.

On the CiA server we remove the briefingName field and rename the file names to match the desired format (our naming format is very close to the one suggested here).

Therefore, mission makers are requested to keep the file name as close as possible to the in-game mission name and include all the information about the mission in the file name (type, number of players, full mission name). This will help greatly server admins to adapt missions names to their desired format.

• Like 1

I officially gave up on this. If there isn't anything done about it at the Editor level, it will never spread... :(

Unpacking, renaming, repacking everything before it goes into the missions folder now too. It's annoying but the result is wort it. This picture also illustrates our point, if anyone isn't convinced yet.

I officially gave up on this. If there isn't anything done about it at the Editor level, it will never spread... :(

Unpacking, renaming, repacking everything before it goes into the missions folder now too. It's annoying but the result is wort it. This picture also illustrates our point, if anyone isn't convinced yet.

That's how my mission list looks, and it is so much better and organize to find things. The mission file name with random weird briefing name doesn't help finding the mission and is very inconvenient. I hope as many mission makers follow through this format as much as possible. It keeps things tidy instead of having server admins sort through it all and things get quite dirty. Of course not everyone will do it but it saves a lot of time.

Unpacking, renaming, repacking everything before it goes into the missions folder now too. It's annoying but the result is worth it. This picture also illustrates our point, if anyone isn't convinced yet.

Welcome to my world for the past two years. During the weekend I uploaded all the Arma 3 missions to the server, there were more than 130 of them. It took me about 4 hours to to process them, including removing briefingName. Since I use bulk actions that didn't take long. However, finding out how many players the mission can inhibit and sometimes what was its name was a pain in the arse. For many missions I had to dig in description.ext to find out the max number of players and rename the mission file accordingly. That had to be done manually and took hours.

I just don't get why the name of the mission inside the game can't be the file-name? That's the way it was in OFP and admins had a much easier job. I really don't get what are the benefits of having a separate name for the file and a separate name for the mission in-game.

The filename format is pretty good. But i don't understand why you would like spaces instead of an underscore? it is mostly way easier to handle files with underscores on a linux server.

Maybe it would be a good idea to open a ticket in the feedback tracker (it's down ATM, or I'd do it) asking for an additional setting in the server browser to show raw file names instead of mission names. That way, a mission can be named for single player, but you can show filenames only in multiplayer server control.

Additionally, it might also be interesting to have the mission list browser be able to filter for mission type, minimum and maximum player and such. After all, this is information easily extracted from the description.ext

Maybe it would be a good idea to open a ticket in the feedback tracker (it's down ATM, or I'd do it) asking for an additional setting in the server browser to show raw file names instead of mission names. That way, a mission can be named for single player, but you can show filenames only in multiplayer server control.

That's a great idea that can make everybody happy!