Sign in to follow this  
teweedo

How to remove auto-AIM ?

Since nobody seem to know how to remove this function I guess it must not be possible to switch it off in game so as someone earlier suggested I made a mod request there :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149128-Request-Removing-Crosshair-auto-adjustment&p=2327420#post2327420

Hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out.

Never realized this existed, interesting feature, I like it. What this is trying to fix used to catch me out quite a bit in Arma etc. Eg you would be prone and trying to hit a close enemy cresting a ridge but your bullets hit the ground even though the "from the hip" virtual crosshair is pointed right at the enemy. It would happen in buildings too when shooting out windows/doorways/over walls etc. I think this will help with CQB smoothness too.

PS the virtual crosshair is designed to simulate shooting for the hip, where some thing is so close you know your going to hit, but often in games you miss beacuse you cant properly judge perspective/angles of other nearby objects. It's a reference as to where your barrel is pointing. I think people who like using the virtual cross hair would be happy with this feature, and those who don't like it probably don't like virtual crosshair anyway..so technically there is already an option to switch it off :)

Edited by -=seany=-

Since nobody seem to know how to remove this function I guess it must not be possible to switch it off in game so as someone earlier suggested I made a mod request there :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149128-Request-Removing-Crosshair-auto-adjustment&p=2327420#post2327420

Hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out.

You can't remove it, it's a new feature and is inherent in the crosshair.

It adjusts dynamically to inform you if there's something blocking the barrel's path in relation to your sights/eye height. Not sure how it relates friendly close targets, but it works great when in cover.

PS the virtual crosshair is designed to simulate shooting for the hip, where some thing is so close you know your going to hit, but often in games you miss beacuse you cant properly judge perspective/angles of other nearby objects. It's a reference as to where your barrel is pointing. I think people who like using the virtual cross hair would be happy with this feature, and those who don't like it probably don't like virtual crosshair anyway..so technically there is already an option to switch it off :)

First off, giving flexibility to the gameplay/UI/controls can't be a bad thing so there's nothing wrong with asking for that possibility.

Second, I'm living proof you think wrong since I do appreciate the crosshair while I also dislike that feature. So nope, "technically" there is no option to turn it off and the way you said that make it sounds like you're trying to be an as**ole but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

And finally, thanks for your concern but I do not have any issue with judging perspective and angles neither do I have issue shooting "things" from various range with the crosshair. Some of us didn't wait Arma3 for that.

Once again, I'm all for keeping the feature, and I'm also very glad it suits a part of the player base. However, there's no need to act like this is absolutely perfect and that everybody have to enjoy it.

You can't remove it, it's a new feature and is inherent in the crosshair.

It adjusts dynamically to inform you if there's something blocking the barrel's path in relation to your sights/eye height. Not sure how it relates friendly close targets, but it works great when in cover.

Thanks for confirming I can't remove it, I still hope somebody will find the time to make a mod for it or that the devs will realize it can be an issue for some people and add the possibility to switch it on/off.

In all honesty it wouldn't have ruined the crosshair for me if they did something similar to this instead (excuse the horrible MSpaint job) :

armacrosshair.png

I don't understand the issue, but to each their own.

Exactly, it's as simple as that :D

So... You agree with me?

Sure, it's not very realistic, but neither is a crosshair in the first place.

The Arma crosshair is intended to provide the player with the sort of awareness a trained soldier would have regarding where their weapon is pointing at any given time. It should also be noted that when not ADS, you are NOT in "hipfire" mode. Your weapon, unless in the relaxed position, is always shouldered and ready. The Arma crosshair, particularly the less-accurate A3 version, is perfectly realistic.

Many players choose not to use it, and that's a choice we are all free to make. I don't use it in A2, and I'm not sure if I'll be using it in A3, but those who think they're "hardcore" because they don't use it are fooling themselves.

I agree with this topic, I would like to have the possibility to switch off this "crosshair" and get a regular crosshair like every pc's fps.

Edited by Lurounet

The biggest problem with this crosshair is, that sometimes the fire geometry of an object is enough different from its view geometry, that it makes the crosshair seem to snap incorrectly to an object where it shouldnt snap to - resulting in player being somewhat confused, or annoyed.

And this is the reason why i prefer to play without it, because even though it actually helps with "muzzle awareness", it distracts me too much.

I read through the entire thread and you keep saying you don't need the feature, because you know where you're shooting and it distracts you... Well if that were the case, you wouldn't be annoyed by this feature, because it would never take effect.

To me it seems you still haven't fully understood this feature and why its there.

I do realize everybody plays differently, I do to, but I just can't see why this would be a bad feature to anybody.

What would be the point in turning it off? You're sitting behind a rock or a tree and are aiming at an enemy. The crosshair flips to the side, because it shows you, that right now, you would not hit your target, but the cover instead. If you were to turn off said feature, you would ADS, shoot at your target, but your bullets would just land in the tree or rock your sitting behind... What good does that do?

If you're aiming right, and using cover right, the crosshair "flipping" would never take affect.

Why would you not want to know when your bullets aren't going to hit your desired target?

Edited by phoboss

I guess it would be easily possible to disable the ingame crosshair but have a user-made addon that places a crosshair where you expect it to appear.

I read through the entire thread and you keep saying you don't need the feature, because you know where you're shooting and it distracts you... Well if that were the case, you wouldn't be annoyed by this feature, because it would never take effect.

To me it seems you still haven't fully understood this feature and why its there.

I do realize everybody plays differently, I do to, but I just can't see why this would be a bad feature to anybody.

What would be the point in turning it off? You're sitting behind a rock or a tree and are aiming at an enemy. The crosshair flips to the side, because it shows you, that right now, you would not hit your target, but the cover instead. If you were to turn off said feature, you would ADS, shoot at your target, but your bullets would just land in the tree or rock your sitting behind... What good does that do?

If you're aiming right, and using cover right, the crosshair "flipping" would never take affect.

Why would you not want to know when your bullets aren't going to hit your desired target?[/QUOTe]

Do you realize what fallacy you just said? It does indeed takes effect because precisely I am already shooting at it so it adjust the target there (hence why I first thought it was auto aim)

No offense but I perfectly understood, however for someone who supposedly read the thread you didnt put much effort or thought into it before replying.

Also if you took the time to think about it for a second you'd also realize it would activate at all time while moving anyway when I am close to objects for example. You are acting like I am always trying to shoot at something. I need the screen center info at all time, not necessarily when I am in crouch behind a cover.

When I am eading you it seems like you guys are playing in slow motion, slowly aiming and being happy some virtual tools told you that you were not going to shoot right

Well more power to you, now why the hell would I tell you it was annoying and I want to remove it if I needed it? Simple. I wouldnt tell you that, I would not even bother making a thread about it and instead I would use it.

If you cant understand that some people are annoyed by a tool which goes against years of gaming habbits then move along and go enjoy your toy. Nice for you.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

I guess it would be easily possible to disable the ingame crosshair but have a user-made addon that places a crosshair where you expect it to appear.

That would be sweet obviously but so far I had no reply to my request so we'll see. The devs could have easily added such a switch off though. Hopefully they do add one later.

Do you realize what fallacy you just said? It does indeed takes effect because precisely I am already shooting at it so it adjust the target there (hence why I first thought it was auto aim)

This statement clearly shows me, that you do not understand the "feature". If you are standing perfectly still and are shooting at a target, you wont notice any kind of weird crosshair behavior. (if you do, than maybe you're experiencing some sort of bug). I'm not at home right now, so I can't make a video of it. How this feature works is, that by moving your crosshair it shows you where your bullets are going to hit. If the target moves behind some cover, the crosshair movement will reflect that by showing you, where on that said cover you're gonna hit.

of what I mean. See how the crosshair jumps up and down when he ducks behind the cover? During ADS it looks as if he would shot over the target, but because the scope is on top of the gun, and you cant really see your muzzle, it actually still is behind the cover and you cant shot.

Also if you took the time to think about it for a second you'd also realize it would activate at all time while moving anyway when I am close to objects for example. You are acting like I am always trying to shoot at something. I need the screen center info at all time, not necessarily when I am in crouch behind a cover.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. If you move your mouse around the environment you will notice that the crosshair always jumps around a bit, when you "hit" an object that will stop your bullet (like rocks). What good is it if your crosshair is always on the center of your screen, when you ADS and try to shot and the bullets land in the nearest rock?

When I am eading you it seems like you guys are playing in slow motion, slowly aiming and being happy some virtual tools told you that you were not going to shoot right

And you're trying to say that you use the crosshair for actual shooting. Think of it like it was back in Arma 2, you can't use that for shooting, except at really REALLY close ranges. When I'm shooting, I only use ADS. The crosshair is just an indicator, where your weapon is pointed so you can find your target faster once you ADS. But what good is that if you'd shot at the rock in front of you, instead of your actual target?

Well more power to you, now why the hell would I tell you it was annoying and I want to remove it if I needed it? Simple. I wouldnt tell you that, I would not even bother making a thread about it and instead I would use it.

Well at first you thought it was some sort of autoaim, which shows me, you don't get the concept of this feature. And I really don't get what you're getting so defensive about.

Edited by phoboss

I also find in annoying, I don't care if it's trying to help or not just give us an option to disable it.

It may be of help if you could turn it on and off from the keyboard so you could use it as a check.

Maybe even a simple colour change would be a better option.

The fix to this is through disabling the dynamic part of the crosshair. Give an option to do it. -Just like every other FPS on the market ever-. (b-b-but arma isn't like other fps')

If you guys can not live with more options to other players, I feel sorry for you.

Maybe even a simple colour change would be a better option.

I still don't get why this would bother anybody, because having the crosshair in the middle, when thats NOT where your bullets are gonna land, is no use to me, but that color option actually is a pretty good idea! I like it.

And of course I'm not against the option to disable this feature. Why would I? I'm just trying to understand the problem people have with this feature.

This statement clearly shows me, that you do not understand the "feature". If you are standing perfectly still and are shooting at a target, you wont notice any kind of weird crosshair behavior. (if you do, than maybe you're experiencing some sort of bug). I'm not at home right now, so I can't make a video of it. How this feature works is, that by moving your crosshair it shows you where your bullets are going to hit. If the target moves behind some cover, the crosshair movement will reflect that by showing you, where on that said cover you're gonna hit.

I completely understand that. I don't know if my english isn't good enough or if you're really not able to grasp the issue I'm talking about.

There is no "weird" behavior of the crosshair, it works as intended. As for the issue, you don't necessarily have to understand me to accept the fact it is an annoyance to me.

However, since you seem to be in fact, a nice person, I'll try once more to be clear : I just don't NEED to have the indication that I'm not aligned with my target because I am NOT always aligned with a target hence why I'm talking about ANTICIPATION. As you confirm it you seem to be the kind of person who stand still when shooting and takes the time to adjust the crosshair/optics. I do not play like this. The information I need is : where is my screen center. I will shoot WHEN I need to but as soon as the crosshair encounter an obstacle it will indicate it to me and it will leave the center of my screen for a short period of time until I move out of the way which prevents me from anticipating where my screen center will be up until the crosshair goes back to its original place and then I will need to adjust my sight AGAIN. Which is extremely annoying and this is just an example out of many.

of what I mean. See how the crosshair jumps up and down when he ducks behind the cover? During ADS it looks as if he would shot over the target, but because the scope is on top of the gun, and you cant really see your muzzle, it actually still is behind the cover and you cant shot.

I've seen this video, it was posted earlier in this thread; I totally get it and I don't need such information since I already take those elements in consideration before shooting. At least, it is not useful if it is to the detriment of the original crosshair. Again, I fully believe and support the idea per se. I'm only asking to let people have the option to turn it off.

Either that or add a second crosshair or a dot that stay still. [EDIT: I also like the colour idea of F2K Sel]

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. If you move your mouse around the environment you will notice that the crosshair always jumps around a bit, when you "hit" an object that will stop your bullet (like rocks). What good is it if your crosshair is always on the center of your screen, when you ADS and try to shot and the bullets land in the nearest rock?

Because I don't try to shoot when I'm in such a situation but at this point I'm still in the need to know where my weapon is aimed at, I don't need to know where my bullets are going to be shot. I already anticipate this information. I don't need a visual indicator of that to the detriment of losing my exact screen center indicator.

And you're trying to say that you use the crosshair for actual shooting. Think of it like it was back in Arma 2, you can't use that for shooting, except at really REALLY close ranges. When I'm shooting, I only use ADS. The crosshair is just an indicator, where your weapon is pointed so you can find your target faster once you ADS. But what good is that if you'd shot at the rock in front of you, instead of your actual target?

I guess that's why you can't understand me. There's two things :

1. Once again, I did explain that but as you perfectly pointed out the crosshair indicate me where my weapon is pointed which is THE info I need at all time. I already KNOW if there is a rock or a door or whatever in my way of shooting but as soon as the crosshair indicate to me where my weapon is towarded from the closest obstacle then I lose the first information which is the most important of the two.

2. I do indeed shoot with the crosshair when necessary, just like I did in arma2. Given the nature of your post I guess we just don't play the same at all. I do use ADS when it's required but I can completely shoot to various range with the crosshair, hell, I even do so without it. You only need to know how the weapon react to your movements, how it shoot and how accurate it is or not to anticipate where the bullets are going to. Obviously the closest the better it is.

You seem to think, for some reason, that I'm actually arguing it's not a good feature. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm only saying the original crosshair info is more important to me than the one this feature provides me.

Well at first you thought it was some sort of autoaim, which shows me, you don't get the concept of this feature. And I really don't get what you're getting so defensive about.

And this answer shows me you didn't read this thread much.

I've already acknowledged that my first impression was wrong and I said it in one of the first reply of this thread, it is easily misleading when you first discover it and just didn't put much thought into it. When I found about it I simply switched off the crosshair altogether. I only went back thinking about the issue when I made this thread.

I'm getting "defensive" because you guys keep arguing that if I don't like it's because I don't understand it, which is completely false. It almost sounds like you wants to prevent us from having the possibility to turn it off like it did matter to you. If you like Arma you should support the idea of having more control and options of the UI. As simple as that. It isn't going to prevents you from using it either.

Edited by teweedo

I read the thread and I know you acknowledged that your first impression was wrong, but you still called a autoaim a few posts back... anyhow, I kinda get what your saying now. I myself don't play the way I explained it either, it was just exemplify what I meant. Point is, I get what your saying now, I simply don't need the crosshair to tell me where the center of the screen is. I usually play all FPS that allow for it, without any crosshair at all, so I'm pretty used to not having that kind of "help". So since its kinda hard finding a CH:0 server at the moment, I kinda like the way the crosshair shows me, that I couldn't shot at my target at a given time. I'd describe my playstyle as pretty tactical, so I move from cover to cover a lot, thus making the "indicator" pretty handy.

Long story short, and as I mentioned before, I of course, support the idea of an option to disable said "indicator". Or color change, which is even better.

^ I'm glad we cleared the situation then.

If you play without crosshair per usual then yeah I understand why you're cool with the feature. We got different habbits, that's all. I also try to play without the crosshair right now because the actual one is annoying me so I somehow locate more or less the center of my screen but I would like much more having a regular crosshair anyway. Thanks for your answer, sir.

You must never have had those frustrating moments in earlier Arma games where you were sure you'd hit your target only for your bullets to hit some random object in front of you because of collision issues if you didn't instantly go "AWESOME" when you saw that crosshair behavior.

I just don't get your "playstyle". To me it seems, from what you describe, that you're actually running and gunning while using the crosshair. How you manage to hit anything confounds me. Furthermore, if you had a crosshair that only showed you where the center of your screen was, what good would it be since your gun would not be shooting at that location?

You must never have had those frustrating moments in earlier Arma games where you were sure you'd hit your target only for your bullets to hit some random object in front of you because of collision issues if you didn't instantly go "AWESOME" when you saw that crosshair behavior.

I just don't get your "playstyle". To me it seems, from what you describe, that you're actually running and gunning while using the crosshair. How you manage to hit anything confounds me.

Honestly, I'm kinda tired explaining it over and over.

Once again : I do not mind the feature I just don't want it to replace the regular crosshair. Dammit, it's really irritating, I've said that a thousand of times already.

"If you had a crosshair that only showed you the center" Holy hell, is A3 the only shooter you ever played? I have years of gaming habbits with a regular crosshair which does not include such a feature. Just like many people have their habbits you can't blame them when they're getting taken out of their comfort zone.

So please, don't make it sounds like I'm some sort of alien in a world where all shooters use this feature. And you'd notice I'm far from the only one playing that way so I don't know why some of you all act shocked because someone is bothered by this change.

Furthermore, if you had a crosshair that only showed you where the center of your screen was, what good would it be since your gun would not be shooting at that location?

The same good it is for any other shooter, the gun would be shooting at the location I know it would shoot, it's all that matters. I don't need the crosshair to adapt itself because I'm already adapting to the environment by myself.

I don't need the crosshair to adapt itself because I'm already adapting to the environment by myself.

Either you fail at communicating your ideas, or you fail at understanding how the gunplay works. In any case, if a regular crosshair is what you want, I'm sure a mod will pop up sometime in the future to cater to your wants. It might not have the effect you expect though.

Either you fail at communicating your ideas, or you fail at understanding how the gunplay works.

I indeed understand how it works and there's people who perfectly comprehend why it is bothering so perhaps you simply fail at grapsing such a simple concept. Or maybe you just like being a contrarian?

In any case, if a regular crosshair is what you want, I'm sure a mod will pop up sometime in the future to cater to your wants. It might not have the effect you expect though.

Or the devs will realize it doesn't cater to a part of what the community needs and will understand it would be a good thing to provide an option to switch it off. It's simple, really.

Obviously if it doesn't happen, then yes, I'm hoping for a mod. But again you make it sounds like I expect something special when in fact I do expect what most shooters crosshair, including A2, are already doing.

Didn't even notice it, but think it's a clever feature. Using Crosshair in arma3 is inherently inaccurate anyway, it's more an indication of where your barrel is pointing which this feature does brilliantly.

That's why I was so confused at first, because I instantly went "AWSOME!" when I saw it. It just didn't make any sense to me why you wouldn't like the new crosshair behavior. Because when you're used to not having a regular crosshair (like in Arma 2) and you had said moments a lot where you thought you had a clear shot, just to realize your bullets are hitting that rock you're sitting behind, than there is just no way, you wouldn't love the new crosshair.

But I guess not everyone sees it that way, so a setting to disable said behavior is of course always welcome. :)