Sign in to follow this  
teweedo

How to remove auto-AIM ?

[EDIT: The original opening post has been edited out in order to get a clearer conversation going on]

Hello,

As you may or may not know, ARMA3 features a brand new intelligent crosshair. It will inform you whenever the muzzle of your weapon is pointed at an obstacle, cover or anything else that may prevents you from shooting correctly.

This result in a moving intelligent crosshair as shown by the following video :

While this feature is great, it also replace the original/regular crosshair a lot of players have been used to for years. So many of you guys may be happy with it but there is also a part of the community which is bothered by this change because we are taken out of our usual comfort zone.

Obviously we wouldn't want to remove such a nice feature. However, many of us would like either the option to switch it on/off or a possible change to improve the feature.

Here are the 3 possibilities suggested so far :

- Provide an in-game option to disable/enable this feature. When disabled it will be a regular crosshair indicating the center of the screen like in Arma2 for example.

- Replace the movements of the intelligent crosshair with a change in colour whenever something is in the way.

- Stick with the intelligent crosshair and add a second one or a dot which keeps indicating the center of the screen.

If you have any other suggestion then feel free to explain it or simply voice your opinion on the matter.

Have a great day gentlemen.

Regards.

Edited by teweedo
Clarification

there is no autoaim.

You might be mistaking rifle sway for it however.

I don't know, whenever I put my crosshair close to a target it automatically puts it right on its head and I can't move it, it keeps locked on unless I make a movement out of it.

English is not my main language, is that what you call rifle sway? Whatever it is I'd like to remove it.

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Here is a fraps video of what I am talking about

[Video moved back onto OP]

Any help to remove that would be appreciated

Edited by teweedo

OHH!! Pfff..

So here's what's happening. When the muzzle of the weapon is pointed at something close, the crosshair moves there to show you this.

This was a major annoyance in previous entries because you'd be aiming over a fence or rock, and not realize your muzzle was pointed at the fence or rock. This is just indicating where your muzzle is pointed.

Edited by Gorbachev

^ Alright I'm glad we cleared it isn't auto-aim, so how do I remove it guys ?

I understand it's supposed to help show where the muzzle is pointing now but it's trully annoying for multiple reasons to me so I'd just like to remove the option if possible.

Remove the crosshair ;)

That's what I did already since it's clearly too annoying for me.

But I also like the crosshair per usual so I would like to know how to play with the crosshair AND remove this annoying option. Thanks if anyone knows how to do that.

BTW nice video, I like the red dot change.

That's what I did already since it's clearly too annoying for me.

But I also like the crosshair per usual so I would like to know how to play with the crosshair AND remove this annoying option. Thanks if anyone knows how to do that.

BTW nice video, I like the red dot change.

Now I havent played the alpha but I think you might have to wait for a mod to change it. (maybe suggest it as a mod)

^ I just hope there's an option to remove it from the original game, it'd be quite bizarre if they forced the feature down the players. Especially considering Arma always had a lot of functions you can change.

I guess you're right, if they don't have this option I'll have to ask for a mod

I'm not sure why you think this is a bad feature.

Dwarden mentioned somewhere that this is an experimental feature. If does make it into the final release i hope it only will apply to objects and not players/AI.

I'm not sure why you think this is a bad feature.

Not saying this is bad. However it's not for everyone and I am the kind to already anticipate my environement, this feature completely screw my gameplay and aiming but that's just me I'm pretty sure there are people who likes it.

Dwarden mentioned somewhere that this is an experimental feature. If does make it into the final release i hope it only will apply to objects and not players/AI.

Thanks, good to know, hope they keep it for those who enjoy it but just add the possibility to turn it off

Quite frankly your aiming is quite screwed already if you don't use your sights for shooting. I honestly can't imagine where this indicator would inhibit anyone's ability to fight.

Why JW Custom? Wouldn't it be good information to know you're about to shoot your teammate in the head when you think you're going to shoot the guy behind him up the hill 400m?

It just shows you where the bullet is going, it's not like other games where the bullet goes to the center of the screen but it actually originates from the barrel. But it's not like you need the crosshair it is only effective in close combat and even then you could just align your barrel with your target just as you would align the center of the screen in other games where you dont have a crosshair enabled. You can just disable it but you should just aim down the sight to shoot anyway.

Quite frankly your aiming is quite screwed already if you don't use your sights for shooting. I honestly can't imagine where this indicator would inhibit anyone's ability to fight.

You are simply wrong. Not everyone play the same.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

It just shows you where the bullet is going, it's not like other games where the bullet goes to the center of the screen but it actually originates from the barrel. But it's not like you need the crosshair it is only effective in close combat and even then you could just align your barrel with your target just as you would align the center of the screen in other games where you dont have a crosshair enabled. You can just disable it but you should just aim down the sight to shoot anyway.

Exactly. I don't need the game to tell me where the bullets are going; I only need the crosshair to accurately indicate me where the "center" of my screen is. I adapt everything around it then. Which is why it can be such a bad feature for some players and a good feature for others.

Where do I disable it is my only question, this thread is not a debate on wether it's a good thing or not because I already stated I'm fine if they keep it as long as I can disable it. However, at the moment, it's bad for me and it's all that matters so I'd like to turn it off, that's all gentlemen.

^ Alright I'm glad we cleared it isn't auto-aim, so how do I remove it guys ?

I understand it's supposed to help show where the muzzle is pointing now but it's trully annoying for multiple reasons to me so I'd just like to remove the option if possible.

Just to be clear, you do realise that if this were turned off, and you only had a crosshair in the centre of the screen, it's quite possible to both:

> Put the crosshair on the guy's head and have your bullet hit the rock behind instead, and

> Put the crosshair on the rock to the left of the guy and have the bullet hit him in the face instead.

,right?

I love that they've brought this in. The number of times I've been peeking over rubble in A2 and popped off a shot only to have it ping off the garbage in front of me is staggering. Now I can be confident that all my misses are because I suck at shooting, not because I didn't notice my gun was buried in cement.

Edit: Okey doke, you ninja'd me with your post above. My only worry was that there'd be people squealing because they didn't understand the "bullet comes from the gun" concept. Yep - as long as it's optional, then I can totally understand the desire for a crosshair fixed in the centre of the screen. Gets a bit odd with headlook and aiming deadzone, but that's not insurmountable.

Edited by 10T

Why JW Custom? Wouldn't it be good information to know you're about to shoot your teammate in the head when you think you're going to shoot the guy behind him up the hill 400m?

I usually keep a little distance to team mates, and no i've never shot a team because i thought my bullet would pass right by him.

I guess you've never sit behind some cover trying to shoot over it but while your sight looks clear you hit the cover. Try the OP towers.

Exactly. I don't need the game to tell me where the bullets are going; I only need the crosshair to accurately indicate me where the "center" of my screen is. I adapt everything around it then.

well, you take a black marker :p

Just to be clear, you do realise that if this were turned off, and you only had a crosshair in the centre of the screen, it's quite possible to both:

> Put the crosshair on the guy's head and have your bullet hit the rock behind instead, and

> Put the crosshair on the rock to the left of the guy and have the bullet hit him in the face instead.

,right?

I love that they've brought this in. The number of times I've been peeking over rubble in A2 and popped off a shot only to have it ping off the garbage in front of me is staggering. Now I can be confident that all my misses are because I suck at shooting, not because I didn't notice my gun was buried in cement.

You do realize that some people have been playing FPS without such a features for years now and had no issue with that? I don't need it. Simple. I'm already adapted to the difference between the crosshair and the bullets direction.

Some players anticipate where their bullets are going already. I only like to have an indicator of my screen center, that's all.

It's not like everyone play the exact same. I perfectly understand some people are glad this is implemented, it does not suit some people because they simply play DIFFERENTLY than you do. As I said, some will like it, some won't.

I guess you've never sit behind some cover trying to shoot over it but while your sight looks clear you hit the cover. Try the OP towers.

I have, both in ARMA and with a real assault rifle. Your point being?

well, you take a black marker :p

A magic marker that change whenever I'm 3rd person or 1st ? :D

I have, both in ARMA and with a real assault rifle. Your point being?

My point being that even if you look through your sight it might look clear but you hit the cover instead of shooting over it. This is what this "aim correction" is for, showing you where you actually are gonna hit.

So... You agree with me?

Sure, it's not very realistic, but neither is a crosshair in the first place.