Sign in to follow this  
thechaos

Grenade launchers and foregrips are attachments too

In ArmA 3 we have very good ability to chance our upper, left and right weapon rail attachments.

But, it's very strange that we can't switch foregrips and grenade launchers (low rail).

When dream about ArmA 3 features - I thought that it will have only one basic weapon (and one classname) and a lot of various attachments for it, but in Alpha we have only 3 of 4 avaible weapon rails to attach.

In BF3 and GR: FS player have that features and it's very useful.

There are some suggestions in community tracker about it:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3597

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2835

Please vote up, and we can discuss about it in this thread.

Sorry for my awful english :)

PS: Bipods are attachments too, but I think that it's not so critical to have ability to attach bipods to assault rifles. Automatic rifles, MGs and sniper rifles can have it by default. But, if it possible to create - it will be nice too :) Players can attach bipods to 7.62 rifles (SCAR-H, Mk14 etc).

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3599

Edited by TheChaos
Added bipods to the thread name

That's not necessarily true... UGL attachment are not like scope attachment that can be attach/detach at will on the field. They usually attached at base in the armory or maybe at the factory.

well, foregrip is quite easy to detach, usually only two screws.

I don't think foregrip serve actual purpose other than cosmetic in the game

not true, we only have a right and upper rail, but its not in its end version, so lets see

That's not necessarily true... UGL attachment are not like scope attachment that can be attach/detach at will on the field. They usually attached at base in the armory or maybe at the factory.

Okay, I think it can have 20-30 sec delay when you make it in the field :)

But of course, it's more game design decision than usability feature for now.

there are grenade launchers that slide onto picatinny rails in seconds. H&K makes one for the G36 and HK416/417.. pull release, slide on or slid off.. real simple, real fast.

Yep, I had thoughts that modern systems make attachment/detachment more useful and fast.

I don't think foregrip serve actual purpose other than cosmetic in the game

Well they should. Weapon kick is pretty brutal in ArmA 3, and way to compensate vertical recoil while standing or crouching could add some nice variety and usability.

It's not dramatic change of behavior but still a handy addition to ArmA 3 gameplay.

Edited by IsaacWraith

No, because only SL, TL, GL should have grenade launchers...

Which makes absolutely 0 sense as an argument against having the attachments removeable because A) this can be changed per character for a mission anyway, B) cuts back even more on weapon variants in crates, C) it's entirely possible to do with some weapons IRL as stated above, and D) you can always have a mission set so that nobody has a GL unless they pick it up off of someone, the exact way it is now.

All this would do is make even fewer weapon models necessary while allowing you to customize your weapon even further on the missions that would allow it.

If it's really doable in real-life, then I see no problem with it... since my experience is only with the M16/M203 combo.

It's probably this way due to an engine limitation or 'too much trouble than its worth' rather than BI not being aware of the fact you can detach them in reality.

Well they should. Weapon kick is pretty brutal in ArmA 3, and way to compensate vertical recoil while standing or crouching could add some nice variety and usability.

It's not dramatic change of behavior but still a handy addition to ArmA 3 gameplay.

The recoil isnt that bad compared to real assault rifles. I actually think it seems very close to 5,56mm.

The other thing that is a plus with the recoil is that "campers" or defenders etc. Dont have a "game zero recoil" ala many fps games vs attacking players.

The recoil isnt that bad compared to real assault rifles. I actually think it seems very close to 5,56mm.

The other thing that is a plus with the recoil is that "campers" or defenders etc. Dont have a "game zero recoil" ala many fps games vs attacking players.

No one is talking about zero recoil but control over rifle changes from shooter to shooter depending on stance, weight, trigger skills etc. kick itself is not subjective but how you handle it is. That's not my point anyway.

My point is - grips in real world provide more control over vertical recoil and absence of such well...provide less.

I think arma should reflex that, regardless of default recoil.

Edited by IsaacWraith

A Dev said after GC that UGL wouldn't be an attachment. Probably a technical issue or engine limitation, related to hands animations I guess.

If you want real life, US won't ever use a "Removable" GL on a rifle, Current standards takes a level 10 or higher Armorer to remove UGL. simple reason its a sensitive item, I carried an M4/M203 and an M4/M320, If I wanted to have it removed to clean my rifle, YES I could do it, but YES its against the law for me to do. Even when I wanted to switch to the Standalone version and carry it on my hip, I had to have an Armorer do it for it because it requires a safety wire be placed to make sure the weapon doesn't fall off...

Vertical grip I am all for! Although I don't like the AFG, I see the current trend of Vert. Grips are headed that way of the more angled way so I'd love to see that in game more than the standard VFG.

A Dev said after GC that UGL wouldn't be an attachment. Probably a technical issue or engine limitation, related to hands animations I guess.

The hand animations my guess too, if it was only grenade launchers that couldn't be attached I could think it's the extra 'muzzle' or whatever but it seems it's a hand animation problem.

You know your "infantry simulation" is lacking features when people suggest features found in mainstream games.

You know your "infantry simulation" is lacking features when people suggest features found in mainstream games.

UGL are done horribly in "Mainstream" games. They are powerful weapons not to be fucked with, but COD, BF3 and MOH, along with everyother FPS out there, make them to be super god like weapons, Youtube video of m203 hitting a fuel truck You will notice the tiny explosion then the big one, the tiny is the 203 round going off. The other reason for the big is the 2nd flammable contents of a fuel truck. The ability to remove and place the UGL back on the weapon means you have to re-zero the weapon. Now we have gotten to that, lets talk about taking off your flashlight or PEQ-15 for quadrant sights to shoot the m203,

Flawless logic!

Speaking of GL, direct hit on close range still does nothing, lol.

UGL are done horribly in "Mainstream" games. They are powerful weapons not to be fucked with, but COD, BF3 and MOH, along with everyother FPS out there, make them to be super god like weapons, Youtube video of m203 hitting a fuel truck You will notice the tiny explosion then the big one, the tiny is the 203 round going off. The other reason for the big is the 2nd flammable contents of a fuel truck. The ability to remove and place the UGL back on the weapon means you have to re-zero the weapon. Now we have gotten to that, lets talk about taking off your flashlight or PEQ-15 for quadrant sights to shoot the m203,

This thread is not about UGL's damage, it's about modern (and close future - 2035 is here :D) weapon modularity and customization.

By the way, Ghost Recon Future Soldier has unique weapon customization which hasn't any one another military game. It's not about mainstream or I don't know, "underground" games. Meanwhile, ArmA 3 Alpha is top selling PC game and ArmA 2 have more than ~1.5-2kk players with DayZ (my guess only) - it's seems pretty mainstream too now :)

It's right - grenades form UGL and even RPG don't explode on close range in real life.

I don't know what branch of services anyone on this thread may have served in, but in the USMC one of the first things I learned about the M203 was how to attach and detach to the M16A2/A4. I was a lil' ol Private when I learned how to do that.

Real grenades are made that way. 40mm rounds need travel speed to build up enough force/pressure to arm themselfs.

On topic. If BIS are able to make underslung attachments working as real attachments, they would've done it. Still will if they figure out how to.

Could be problems with animation switching, or the fact that you're trying to add another weapon to your rifle.