Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Arma3: Take On Helicopters

Just for fun, I decided to copy pbos from my copy of Take On Helicopters into a new addon folder in Arma3 which I activated like any other mod or addon. I got a few errors and the sound didn't work for the wind noise, engine noise, impact sounds, etc., but a lot of stuff did work including turbulence, all of the controls, names in the editor, doors on the aircraft, and more. I was able to get the "ambient" boats from TOH into Arma3 too which was cool.

Anyway, this isn't any official mod I am planning on releasing, and other than copy and pasting, I didn't do anything special to enable this. This thread didn't seem to be a good fit for the General Discussion board, so I put it in Addons and Mods. But mods, feel free to move it if this is incorrect.

Here's a video I put together:

QZ39cZBDJPE

WOW Feint very interesting wonder if as you say you were to copy more of the PBO's things would start working,

Did the same, but I think the scale is off.

image.jpg

The Abrams looks a little small.

^ I had a few problems with the sounds of the ArmA II / CO files. The engine sounds are there but they seem to get stuck on acceleration and seem to loop one noise.

The abrams looks about right, you'll only know if you get in and see how snug the hatches are. It always looked a bit small in Arma 2..at least to me.

Yeah, I agree with NodUnit on vehicles looking small in Arma2. I think it's an FOV thing. @johncage, I think that would be cool too. But I'd also like a hotkey for opening doors as scrolling the menu is tedious just to open a door. :)

be sure things get even better/easier when first A3alpha updates rolls out :) (includes latest OA 1.63 betas / TOH merges)

@Dwarden, that sounds like a hint for legacy support for previous games. Please say it is so.

@Dwarden, that sounds like a hint for legacy support for previous games. Please say it is so.

I can't confirm nor deny your wild dream wishes :p

be sure things get even better/easier when first A3alpha updates rolls out :) (includes latest OA 1.63 betas / TOH merges)

that sounds pretty intriguing, always enjoyed TKOH's sense of scale. epic

So the flight dynamics from TOH is not there (yet) even though you copied the files? How about the Hind, anyone tried that?

splooge!

I was try some basic moding as well with A2CO and visually working good. There some problems in config to be completely usable in A3 engine because of differences.

A2 have good models for A3 standards so could be used in as expansion. This will be beneficial to BIS as well.

I don't know is it completely possible but if BIS made new configs for A2 content (except characters which will be needed to make complete changes because different concept) so basically with such adaptation mod

whole A2 world with DLCs will be still alive. This should be done with dependency of having legal copy of A2 and even make possible to use original A2 installation from your computer.

So if those who are new to A3 want to have such content must own or buy A2. Same should go to ToH as well.

I'm not much of the flyboy and don't have ToH but if this will expand possibilities for my A3 I will be highly interested to buy such game. Right now I don't have reason at all except maybe give more support to small independent publisher like BIS.

This way everyone will have interest here. Bis will get more financial to keep going and have more progress in future ArmA developing and community will get more content and less work on porting old mods from A2.

I'm hopping this is good suggestion for both sides. Dwarden ask your friends in BIS what they thinking about such suggestion? ;)

this tread is "Full of Stars"

Edited by ScorpyX

It merges with TOH? Aren't they also plans to merge ArmA II with ArmA III as well? Some BI member implied as such, but I can't remember where..

I‘m not sure if it is illegal to port ArmA2CO stuff into ArmA3?????

Not if you own it. This is all great since I own A2 CO. The only concern is that I dont own TOH and bought ARMA 3 ALPHA because I was told by devs that it would feature TOH FM as a "new feature" of the A3 engine. I don't want/should'nt have to buy TOH to get the FM at least. I understand TOH content such as Helicopters ect. Hell if BI puts in the FM like they said they would, I may just feel obliged to buy TOH for the models etc.

I can't confirm nor deny your wild dream wishes :p

LOL, hilarious! I am going to use this line next time someone asks me something about one of my projects. :)

:D What a guy Dwarden is?!?! Great news (cough non-news)! And...great to see you working again Feint.

Nice to see you too. I'm working on Underwater Diving Module again for Arma3. I'm going to see what I can do with the SDV (even though I know one is coming from BIS).

So the flight dynamics from TOH is not there (yet) even though you copied the files? How about the Hind, anyone tried that?

I don't have the Hind for TOH, but I would guess it would work about the same as the AH-6 (weapons worked).

I‘m not sure if it is illegal to port ArmA2CO stuff into ArmA3?????

I would take a look at the license agreement for your specific country, but in the United States, I would think that the Fair Use laws would protect doing this sort of thing as long as you didn't give away any of the content to other people who hadn't paid for it. Also, BIS is pretty "mod-friendly" to say the least. So I doubt they would create a lawsuit against players for doing this sort of thing. And in fact, one of the developers already weighed in on this thread about compatibility being enabled possibly in more ways in the future, maybe. So to me, that's a good sign. But again, your license agreement might be helpful for more information or you could write to BIS for a solid answer if you are really concerned about copyright and fair use and your local laws. I'm not a lawyer. :)

I get the error "Failed to load the file: "...air_h_dlc.pbo" - decryption of headers failed." when trying with Hinds and nothing from Hinds shows in the game. I can start the game with vanilla ToH but the game crashes once i get into the cockpit of the medium chopper.

I take it that, since OA AND ArmA 3 Alpha were both updated today, the patch or part of it has rolled out?