Sign in to follow this  
Danlord

Arma 3 (2040) will there be DLCs based on 2000/2010?

We've been in the cold war and in the modern era. Did you expect BI to leave out the near future? :confused:

To be honest. Yes I did not expect the ArmA series to step 20+ years into the future. With the guess work And fiction associated with future weapons\equip\doctrine etc etc It's hard for me to except it as a simulator. It feels more like a game. Just my opinion.

To be honest. Yes I did not expect the ArmA series to step 20+ years into the future. With the guess work And fiction associated with future weapons\equip\doctrine etc etc It's hard for me to except it as a simulator. It feels more like a game. Just my opinion.

Arma never was a simulator in the first place :)

Arma never was a simulator in the first place :)

ArmA has always felt like a game. It's not a simulator per se in my opinion, but it is defined as a war-sim though.

I like the modern era. And i'll see it again via modding :)

Edited by Winfernal

OFP: Resistance

Arma: QG Expansion pack

Arma 2 OA expansion pack along with BAF/PMC/ACR DLC

No DLC eh?

Wasn't Rahmadi Conflict also DLC for ArmA I?

Wasn't Rahmadi Conflict also DLC for ArmA I?

Came with QG I think.

Came with QG I think.

That it did. I guess QG seems a bit different in that it has its own set of files, but RC actually uses a number of assets already coded into the game. QG never had its assets (save for the island) ported to ArmA II, did it? I know RC's Insurgent forces and the islands were.

There is one very positive thing regarding the future setting - there is little to no discussion with respect to the performance of this or that unit/weapon/vehicle. And no discussion of NATO 5.56 shall do this damage compared to WarPac 5.45, or 7.62x51 vs 7.62x39, or how many rounds are required for a kill, etc... Silenced all those wannabe weapon experts with one shot :p

The only ones who might still bother are the PvP balance fanatics - and by "virtue" they don't argue on the base of real preformance but are more concerned on whatever kind of relative balance.

Someone forgot to tell you guys its a video game (yes and "milsim" - but really?). No matter how realistic you make it, it will never be the real thing. Adding the futuristic (not sci-fi) additions certainly makes things a whole lot more interesting and open. All the systems shown are logical and reasonable (for a vid game) extensions of existing technology. Would you want to play Navy Seals using 1991 technology? Maybe, but that's what Arma 2 does fairly well.

Do they have this in 2035? I dont think so..

http://www.arma3.com/images/screenshots/large/arma3_screenshot_05.jpg (430 kB)

I dont think they have this shit.. Over 20 years they will have invented something else weird that is more sci fi (or less) you never know with the future..

I actually saw this(arma 2) as a sim game compared to CoD and BF thats what I liked about it. If I want to play weird sci fi shit I would buy 1 of those other million games out there..I still hope there will be 2010 DLCs... I will buy them for sure.. If it would cost just like all those shooter games (bf3 CoD) I would still buy them

I dont think they have this shit.. Over 20 years they will have invented something else weird that is more sci fi (or less) you never know with the future..

I actually saw this(arma 2) as a sim game compared to CoD and BF thats what I liked about it. If I want to play weird sci fi shit I would buy 1 of those other million games out there..I still hope there will be 2010 DLCs... I will buy them for sure.. If it would cost just like all those shooter games (bf3 CoD) I would still buy them

There are armed unmanned ground vehicles...so there goes your point.

I think you're over reacting about this.

I do share your view, i like the modern era shooters. But there's no need to go bananas over it when they decide to put A3 in the year of 2030. This is FAR from "weird sci fi shit." But it is also a matter of taste of course.

This is also why we have modding. Porting over from ArmA 2 for example will happen, it's just a matter of time, and they also need all of their tools that are not released yet.

/QUOTE]

Actually we already had the prototype, controlled by Xbox360 controller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM1219_Armed_Robotic_Vehicle

was cancelled/froze with other FCS part, but a more advanced version is foreseeable

Actually we already had the prototype, controlled by Xbox360 controller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM1219_Armed_Robotic_Vehicle

was cancelled/froze with other FCS part, but a more advanced version is foreseeable

I'm seriously not surprised -- it seems like "physically existed at one point in the real world" was enough excuse for BI to decide "throw it in, and just say that procurement programs went differently in the Armaversum."

It may surprise you that that is actually good enough for some people when it comes to fiction and entertainment.

Now, this will be racist in some peoples eyes. But I'm missing shooting Arabs in Turbans wielding AKs and trying to blow up everything I own. I much prefer being blown up by an IED rather than a KA-60. I've never liked fighting against an organized military. I want people yelling at me Allah u-Ackbar!! As they set off a bomb. I want to try and control crowds of routy citizens while making sure that there isn't a Taliban in the mob. I want to search caves, and houses for caches. I want to be ambushed by things that can't lock on to me.

But alas, I'll be told "GO DO IT YOURSELF AND MOD" Well I can't and I certainly can't put the time into learning. I'll leave the ACE to modding a beautiful mod. AND I shall wait patiently.

Now, this will be racist in some peoples eyes. But I'm missing shooting Arabs in Turbans wielding AKs and trying to blow up everything I own. I much prefer being blown up by an IED rather than a KA-60. I've never liked fighting against an organized military. I want people yelling at me Allah u-Ackbar!! As they set off a bomb. I want to try and control crowds of routy citizens while making sure that there isn't a Taliban in the mob. I want to search caves, and houses for caches. I want to be ambushed by things that can't lock on to me.

But alas, I'll be told "GO DO IT YOURSELF AND MOD" Well I can't and I certainly can't put the time into learning. I'll leave the ACE to modding a beautiful mod. AND I shall wait patiently.

... no wonder Bohemia Interactive went future warfare. :rolleyes: I cannot help but think that the devs had actually gotten bored of "modern warfare" and that this Arma 2/OA-import-support is just 'throwing a bone' at this point...

I'm seriously not surprised -- it seems like "physically existed at one point in the real world" was enough excuse for BI to decide "throw it in, and just say that procurement programs went differently in the Armaversum."

It's almost certain the US Army will extensively use UGV by the time 2035, some form of armed UGV is included in all future development plans.

You have no idea what you are talking about - ArmA4 will be set in Wild West.... OOOPS

... no wonder Bohemia Interactive went future warfare. :rolleyes: I cannot help but think that the devs had actually gotten bored of "modern warfare" and that this Arma 2/OA-import-support is just 'throwing a bone' at this point...

I'm actually happy they did. We haven't had a proper symmetric warfare since OFP.

Until CCP vanilla Russia in ArmA2 was too lackluster compared to US too.

I just wish they redo those iranian helmets. They are quite cheesy.

BTW that UGV is not fictional... I remember somebody posted a real life photo of it. It looked almost 1:1 except it lacked the more high-tech turret we see here. I find UGVs to be cool. Having one supporting your team as you run across Altis hills would be a new experience.

Is the fact that the vast majority of the equipment in ArmA 3 based on existing technology and projects that re in development? Rehashing the same DESERT STORM 2 scenario in every. single. modern. shooter. is getting very, very old.

Is the fact that the vast majority of the equipment in ArmA 3 based on existing technology and projects that re in development? Rehashing the same DESERT STORM 2 scenario in every. single. modern. shooter. is getting very, very old.
Blame vocal players who do seem to want to rehash the same "DESERT STORM 2 scenario" over and over with higher-end graphics, no wonder that got boring for BI.

You have no idea what you are talking about - ArmA4 will be set in Wild West.... OOOPS

That would be awesome! OMG ! Maybe even in the medieval?!

I agree completely.

Yes, it may seem a bit old (we don't want five hundred games made over ten years in practically the same conflict), but there was something basic and... HARDER about using the old technology. You like attacking a convoy with your fancy schmancy AH-64D? Try it with a UH-1H.

I'd always try to get into games where I played as the Independent, whether they were Takis or Chernarus Guerillas. Unsurprisingly, you can destroy a column of vehicles just as effectively with an rpg as a MAAWS.

Even on TLR, I loved using weapons like the Lee Enfield. And the Makarov SD.

ANYWAY, moving on from that terrible rant on the loveliness of the Takistani Locals, I feel that Arma 3 has taken a step in the right direction with moving 30 years into the future. I sure will love using the RAH-66, and I will definitely love using unmanned ground vehicles. And the use of a non-existent weapon (the MX) that has existant technology allows them to use their imagination. Which is truly what I love about Arma 3 at the moment.

Fictional area (as always), fictional conflict, and fictional content all of them based on realistic geography, situations and technology allow BIS to go crazy.

There are armed unmanned ground vehicles...so there goes your point.

We know that. His point still stands. What is your point?

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

That would be awesome! OMG ! Maybe even in the medieval?!

Now the Wild West or medieval times would've been truly epic. Riding my horse through medieval Cherno with my long sword.... Epic!

The problem I see with the direction taken is that it is very gamely. Most vehicles will have smart weapons (guided) so it will be a simple case of - get vehicle, spam tab and lmb, spew guided missiles killing everything. An exaggeration but you get my point.

Now weather you like it or not arma has gained it's name through a more simulator approach. This I feel may fall to the wayside as devs appeal to a lower denominator with a more arma/bf3/ghost recon future soldier direction.

I'll pay good odds that any current era expansion/dlc/mod will be played hand over fist more than this future era.

I personally have not seen much unrealistic about arma 3. That MX rifle exist just not under that name. 6.5 and 6.8 rounds are in use to some extent. If anything the arma 3 uniforms and gear are behind current operations by maybe a year or 2. Again, just because you havent seen it or used it does not mean it does not exist. Regardless of what Wiki tells you.