Sign in to follow this  
WingsOfDeath

To Sever Hosters - PLEASE Turn off the grass.

The images are comparing High settings with and without grass and then Low settings with and without grass. Im not sure you understand whats going on.

I never said grass is the only reason I get bad FPS. But without it I clearly get more FPS.

Temporary solution would be to remove grass.

When I autodetect my settings I get put all to high and I get shitty fps.

Without grass its better.

Temporary solution for you obviouls is to reduce view distance..and by seeting terraindetail by script you override the High setting so no both pictures are not taken with the same settings.

Temporary solution for you obviouls is to reduce view distance..and by seeting terraindetail by script you override the High setting so no both pictures are not taken with the same settings.

I set the terrain detail(Setterraingrid) with the Wasteland admin console.

You don'zt get it do you...compare the pictures and look for the hill to the right...you are settign terrain detail lower not only grass...the lower pictures clearly show less terrain details and terrain features in the far...that's the better performance...the grass layer is still just 1-2 fps. To show the true grass impact use a ow Vied distance. Thats why Terrain deatil 50 is used to boos fps...it reduces terrain detail (and lets objects float in the air on the horizon due to low terrain detail)

Youre asking for low terrain detail not for grass removal...

Quoted for truth. JakebIngram - you are aware that terrain detail affects more than just "grass" right?

But thats what it does, it just sets terrain detal to even lower then you could do in game menu, its still the same command like in A2. 0 highest and 50 lowest but in game menu you could set it only to 25 as lowest.

Okay. Well it still helps with a lot of peoples frames. So im not sure why you are arguing about it.

My rig should be able to easily handle this game.

We argue about it because the grass itself is no performance hit at all....but it stops players from dropping on the belly and snipe from everywhere. With grass on you have to find a good spot for shooting from prone. Prone makes you invisible as you sink into the texture layer..the trade off with grass is...you can't see all to well...grass off means you're still nearly invisible but have all round perfect vision in prone stance. = a cheat....and the maps look arkward without grass.

Edited by Beagle

If you put terrainGrid 0 it will likely keep Techn9ne from playing with us until he upgrades... Just sayin'.

Aaron Dontez Yates plays ArmA?

@JakebIngram

The point is that your problem is not grass, but something else which in return disables grass as well. All Beagle suggested was not to carry on with spreading false info.

no grass = haxxors.

I'm only running a 6870, and have no problems with grass and framerate TBH.

You'll find most clientside framerate issues are actually caused by sub-30 FPS on the server.

I run the game on a 2Ghz dual core and a GTX260. No problems with the grass. Simply lower your quality settings if you can't run the game with it. Asking the mission makers to fix your own problem is a bit arrogant maybe?

oh come on, you are in 2013 year, if you don´t have high-end computer, game is not for you. How do you think Crysis 3 will look like without grass, just because of low-end computer optimalization? At least, it´s just alpha and I believe it will run much better in final release.

Please don't turn off grass. There is no reason why I should look at a bland landscape because others peoples systems can not handle it. Use the system that can make it optional per person.

Theres a user named rundll.exe?? HAHA LEGEND!!

OT- Beagle went through a lot of effort to explain this. I totally agree, godmode without grass. We need to adapt and thats on us as a community. Once mission makers implement sliders and custom adjustments I will modify them to force on grass. If the average user wants to improve performance they can lower quality and distance or purchase better equipment. But grass is staying on in my server, no godmode for us. After all this is a simulator, not just a game.

Grass stays ON for my Server... As mentioned before, it´s 2013. I bought the game to see it´s full graphical Details and not to 'engineer' on options like Grass...

Just wondering does anybody know if the grass hinders the AI's vision in Co-Op?

Just wondering does anybody know if the grass hinders the AI's vision in Co-Op?
In ArmA II OA grass does affect A.I. and not only in Co-Op. No clue if that's in Alpha.

i like people trying play 2013 game with 2006 hardware

I haven't had a single person say 'no grass' was beneficial and I've asked ~40 people in game as I turn it on and off.

Tiger Direct has great deals on hardware :)

I run a old GTS250 1gb card and it holds up fine with grass.

Honestly, grass is fine. Turn down the view distance. While some would say that turning down the view distance and/or turning down the grass gives an unfair advantage to those with low-end computers, turning view distance and terrain detail on high gives an unfair advantage to those with high-end computers. So if server hosters would turn down or at least give the player the option to turn down view distance via a slider (so 10000 to 100), then servers would be playable for most. Not only that, but modify the missions running on their servers to optimize those missions (making sure that dead AI or dead player models aren't still hogging resources, cleaning up unneeded entities in the game world, etc).