Sign in to follow this  
WingsOfDeath

To Sever Hosters - PLEASE Turn off the grass.

Hey guys, I think many of us would appreciate having a server were we can play with the grass turned off. As many of you are aware, at the moment a lot of us are suffering from Low FPS due to low CPU Utilization. I have noticed that playing on my mates dedicated server that with the grass off, frames shoot up from 15 to 40-60.

This command will remove the grass in the mission.

setTerrainGrid 50;

I know its not the most desired option, but until BIS fixes the Low FPS Issue, so many of us would benefit from having some servers out there that had this enabled.

Edit: DEAR MISSION MAKERS.

YOU DON'T CONTROL ME, I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!

Hahaha I'm just kidding. I'll be sure to continue implementing a "slider" or other way of letting clients set their grass detail.

just turn off grass in the setting no? I for one wouldn't touch a mission with grass disabled, but I understand your concern.

Also what fps issue?

just turn off grass in the setting no??

No, grass setting is overridden by the mission

YOU DON'T CONTROL ME, I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!

Hahaha I'm just kidding. I'll be sure to continue implementing a "slider" or other way of letting clients set their grass detail.

If you put terrainGrid 0 it will likely keep Techn9ne from playing with us until he upgrades... Just sayin'.

just turn off grass in the setting no? I for one wouldn't touch a mission with grass disabled, but I understand your concern.

Also what fps issue?

This one http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147533-Low-CPU-utilization-amp-Low-FPS

As it stands atm, you acn't turn off grass client side (as I understand) it has to be in the mission file on the server.

Please don't turn off the grass. I absolutely hated servers that turned off grass in the original Arma. This is 2013. Grass shouldn't be an optional tradeoff on modern rigs running DX11. Besides, grass is an important part of the game. Provides extra cover.

Please don't turn off the grass. I absolutely hated servers that turned off grass in the original Arma. This is 2013. Grass shouldn't be an optional tradeoff on modern rigs running DX11. Besides, grass is an important part of the game. Provides extra cover.

Although I'd normally agree with you regarding keeping grass turned on, this is an Alpha release and many people are having issues so maybe having grass turned off on a bunch of servers / maps would be a good idea while the game is being fully optimised.

Although I'd normally agree with you regarding keeping grass turned on, this is an Alpha release and many people are having issues so maybe having grass turned off on a bunch of servers / maps would be a good idea while the game is being fully optimised.

Exacley, I mean don't get me wrong I love grass. But as it stands, its just making things too unplayable at the moment. If we have grassed forced on all servers, it leaves a huge gap in the community, people that can't play due to major FPS lag. (Until BIS Fixes it) So it would be nice for now.

Missions can have built in player menus that allow the player to determine the view distance and the amount of grass. Domination mode for ArmA2 had this and it was a big help.

Missions can have built in player menus that allow the player to determine the view distance and the amount of grass. Domination mode for ArmA2 had this and it was a big help.

It would be cool if some of the missions on A3 such as Wasteland was to adopt these features.

^^^ turining off grass on wasteland will do jack diddly squat to your frames. Did you test the same server with grass on and grass off? or are you simply going of "i was in a server without grass and had good frames = must be the grass"?

As someone previously mentioned - its not the servers that are chunking things up, its the missions themselves in particular, the complexity and number of AI, vehicles, helos, scripting etc (mission makers please excuse my layman prose!). All the wasteland servers run like ass for that very reason - hence you can join a wasteland server and get 15fps (eventually) or you can play on a reduced coOP mission (like operation rabbit foot) and get 60-80fps. Nothing to do with grass. Sorry :S

As does some insurgencies and the MSO. It's really the way to go.

The argument is old but turning off grass in A2 for example brought usually just 1-2 frames more...not worth it. I suspect the whole turning off of grass is and was about not having to look for a good firing postion but just drop to the ground everywhere.

The argument is old but turning off grass in A2 for example brought usually just 1-2 frames more...not worth it. I suspect the whole turning off of grass is and was about not having to look for a good firing postion but just drop to the ground everywhere.

I actually tested it... I get about 10-20 fps on Wasteland servers.

If I host my own I get the same.

If I host my own and turn off the grass I get 30-40

So to me that is worth it.

I suspect the whole turning off of grass is and was about not having to look for a good firing postion but just drop to the ground everywhere.

I tend to suspect the same thing. I am kinda hoping ARMA 3 nips that in the bud well and truly. Really no excuse for it now. Just learn to play with it and adapt I say.

---------- Post added at 05:13 ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 ----------

Sorry, don't believe that for one second. Video or it didn't happen.

That's the dreaded client fps problem not the grass itself.

Gossamer's Warfare had a nice fps meter and a grass/terrain detail slider, thats where I had the figures from, you habe to measure Grass on/off fps in a running mission on the same ingame spot otherweise there is nothing to compare...and I run ArmA II on a pocket calculator by todays standards. On Takistan map grass made NO differnce at all, just on Chernarus and A3 islands are more barren.

I tend to suspect the same thing. I am kinda hoping ARMA 3 nips that in the bud well and truly. Really no excuse for it now. Just learn to play with it and adapt I say.

---------- Post added at 05:13 ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 ----------

Sorry, don't believe that for one second. Video or it didn't happen.

YVTI1Sj.jpg

DwJVsDS.jpg

Think what you want.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 ----------

EZrVagh.jpg

g9jUA2l.jpg

This is on high settings

the pictures do not use the same settings, its not only grass that's turned off..that's obvious.

@JakebIngram Obviously did not read Beagles posts.

Please come back with valid evidence other than - 2 static screen shots, from different positions, in different games. at different runtimes. with vastly differing video settings (lol) = completely worthless.

I did have a laugh though at the attempt ;)

---------- Post added at 05:41 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

dominated

Lol, dont you feel stupid now :P

Different spot

High settings with Grass

cVLj1dg.jpg

High settings without Grass

Wu0cDlp.jpg

Low settings with Grass

BSFVvb1.jpg

Low settings without grass

7Y7p2AG.jpg

You don'zt get it do you...compare the pictures and look for the hill to the right...you are settign terrain detail lower not only grass...the lower pictures clearly show less terrain details and terrain features in the far...that's the better performance...the grass layer is still just 1-2 fps. To show the true grass impact use a ow Vied distance. Thats why Terrain deatil 50 is used to boos fps...it reduces terrain detail (and lets objects float in the air on the horizon due to low terrain detail)

Youre asking for low terrain detail not for grass removal...