Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

AI accuracy: To good, to bad or good as it is?

yep, in the init of all my missions I am starting to put:

PHP Code:

{_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.15];_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.15];_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.15];} forEach allUnits;

Then in my profile I have skill and precision set to .99.

thx alot for that example! that totally fixed the issue of insta headshots for. now i finally can experience the new AI without being aimbotted out of the situation. i used 0.5 for aiming accuracy and get fantastic results. it's challenging but not like they have auto aim. i think what did the trick is the spot time. it makes their reaction very believeable in terms of timing. like in the actual time it takes to tell your team mates where you are shot at from.

just ran a quick test with a friend and it was amazing. they aim really well with 0.5 and they are really sneaky compared to arma 2. the fact that they use cover a lot more makes them create those mini ambushes where you go look for them and suddenly get shot from behind because you ran pass them:)

The accuracy should be lowered.

As far as I can tell accuracy values have been transferred from ArmA2 to ArmA3 untouched. However in ArmA2 AI was unable to handle recoil at all but in ArmA3 they seem to be much better at it.

. i used 0.5 for aiming accuracy and get fantastic results. it's challenging but not like they have auto aim. i think what did the trick is the spot time. it makes their reaction very believeable in terms of timing. like in the actual time it takes to tell your team mates where you are shot at from.

just ran a quick test with a friend and it was amazing. they aim really well with 0.5

I agree about 0.5 accuracy,have to test more,bit seems a good value.

How do you experience the AI accuracy, do you think they are to accurate? How do you feel about their ability to spot you?

My response is that accuracy at long ranges is way to high, and that their awareness is way to high too.

My thoughts exactly. They saw me ridiculously fast (1 second?) when I exposed from behind a bush in a bushy environment from ~500m and insta killed me. It's both waaaaaaaaaay to high.

Thats new then, because it used to be in. I stand corrected.

Yeah well this is just from observing things from the AI POV with the switchcamera command. They seem to have zero sway, and the only thing that puts them off target is the recoil or predicting the player is in the wrong place. Plus they are shittier at hitting moving target now then in arma 2. I can only assume BIS hasn't finished making the ai handle shooting and the new sway.

thx alot for that example! that totally fixed the issue of insta headshots for. now i finally can experience the new AI without being aimbotted out of the situation. i used 0.5 for aiming accuracy and get fantastic results. it's challenging but not like they have auto aim. i think what did the trick is the spot time. it makes their reaction very believeable in terms of timing. like in the actual time it takes to tell your team mates where you are shot at from.

just ran a quick test with a friend and it was amazing. they aim really well with 0.5 and they are really sneaky compared to arma 2. the fact that they use cover a lot more makes them create those mini ambushes where you go look for them and suddenly get shot from behind because you ran pass them

No problem. Spotting is definitely a big problem. Right now when the ai hear you shoot, without modifiying their skill, it will take them only seconds to pinpoint your location even at far range, if you are in their line of sight. Even if you fire a shot, duck behind a bush (which does block their sight) for a while before they can see you it doesn't matter because if you expose yourself again they will see you as if you just fired the shot off. Once they are aware you are in a certain area your pretty much screwed unless you can find a escape path that is completely out of their sight. No sprinting from bush to bush before the ai has time to spot you, its pretty much instantaneous. Definitely needs to be some tweaking to the speed at which ai spots.

I am planning to make a ticket for it but want to do some more tests to try and isolate the exact problem before I do so.

Edited by -Coulum-

@coulum . you are right about precision in config file. But i have tested aiming accuracy skill and i think it has effects

@coulum . you are right about precision in config file. But i have tested aiming accuracy skill and i think it has effects

Yes your right, I take that back. Just realized I made a typo while setting skills. My bad

Edited by -Coulum-

yup. i had a guy once spraying at me from 200m without hitting anything with 0.1. it was pretty funny to look at:D

yup. i had a guy once spraying at me from 200m without hitting anything with 0.1. it was pretty funny to look at

Yeah, but the weird thing is, when looking through the ai's POV, every shot is lined up perfectly - so it must be some type of dispersion. I think this is different to arma 2 where the ai aim shook and they had to try and compensate for this shake. Aimingaccuracy then basically defined how long they were willing to wait to line up their perfect shot (Ie. with low aimingaccuracy they wouldn't wait as long to line up a good shots and fire, leading to a miss).

i like this new system because it is probably more consistent and probably has less effect on performance.

Yeah, but the weird thing is, when looking through the ai's POV, every shot is lined up perfectly - so it must be some type of dispersion. I think this is different to arma 2 where the ai aim shook and they had to try and compensate for this shake. Aimingaccuracy then basically defined how long they were willing to wait to line up their perfect shot (Ie. with low aimingaccuracy they wouldn't wait as long to line up a good shots and fire, leading to a miss).

i like this new system because it is probably more consistent and probably has less effect on performance.

Good to know. very informative.

Any word on Enemy AI being tweaked? I would like to see a Tab in the settings, for the enemy. Little slider bars for each stat... slide left or right, weak to strong for each one, Aiming, Spotting, Hearing etc.

As it is now I am unable to complete the SCUBA mission. :( No matter what I do, the enemy is able to spot me, and I have been trying some insane things to get that darn AA launcher.

My last attempt (19th one), I climbed the hill to the NNE of the AA Launcher camp, 623m away from it, hailed artillary to the center of the camp, Artillary shells land, and the entire camp makes a B' line right to me.

WTF? How are they able to know where I am? I can't get that damn launcher! :(

lower accuracy, increase reaction time, lower detection range.

I strongly disagree. Rather:

Make an acccuracy slider in addition to the skill slider, increase turn speed, increase detection time.

I say this because:

Making the ai overall less accurate takes away control from players, mission makers and modders alike - a mission maker might want a sniper that can headshot you at 800 metres. An addon maker might want to make a robotic soldier with super precise aim. a player might simply want more of a challenge. Simply decreasing accuracy across the board disallows all that. Instead, make it easier for players to adjust there ai accuracy via the difficulty options so everyone can be happy.

I don't think the reaction time of the ai so much a problem as their turn speed. I think you probably mean the same thing but reaction time would technically be totally dependent on your CPU's capabilities. It is turn rate that allows us to run circles around the ai, right infront of their nose.

I suggest detection time over detection range because it is not impossible for players to spot ai from over a click away, especially with optics. So the ai should be able to do this as well. The problem now is they do it far to fast. It might take me minutes to spot a moving ai at that range and many times more if he were stationary (assuming he hasn't fired). This should be the same for ai. Currently they seem to spot you very quickly even at far range after you have shot off.

I think they are indeedd to accurate, I think they achieve this with superior recoil management. Their shots land extremely close to each other even if they fire full auto.

maybe they practice on BF3 servers :p

I had an AI shoot me off an ATV with 1 bullet shot; while I was going full speed. It's a little unrealistic.

I think overall accuracy for lowly skilled units is a tad too high.

Try this simple snippet of code, applied to the INIT field of the leader of any AI group (on REGULAR skill settings).

{ _x  setskill [ "aimingAccuracy", (_x skill "aimingAccuracy") ^ 2]; } foreach units (group this);

EDIT: It's quite good also for asymmetrical warfare (Skill vs. Numbers).

We spotted, by using scopes, a few infantry 700 meters out. We opened fire, and within 5 seconds the AI responded and where hitting us shortly after.

Devil's advocate here.

I've been a critic of the AI gunshot-pinpointing abilities for years now (but I must stress, it relies on sight and hearing, not cheats). You spotted the enemies at 700m, so why is it bad that they saw you too? I can pick out infantry at that range, even without scopes. In ArmA 2, infantry could scarcely be made to open fire at the distance without mods, and vehicle AI remain unable to acquire targets at even half the effective range of their weapons. So it's a move in the right direction, even if there are still imbalances.

If you played Rainbow Six Raven Shield you´ll know instantly whats wrong with A3 AI

It goes like this:

-you are hidden, no AI can know you´re there

-enemy is facing the other direction, he really cannot see you

-something spooks enemy, he turns around starts firing during the rotation, and one of the (wildly burst fired) shots hits you dead center in the head :(

We´ve resorted to giving the AI huuuge blinders by lowering various AI skills.

Still feels very fishy when unsuspecting enemys will know your exact position immediately after you fired off a satchel charge in the distance.

Somehow remembers me of the magical ArmA1 times when the AI could sense everything you did ... BI, how/why do you keep resurrecting those behaviours?!

0.1-0.15 and 0.3-0.4 for aimingaccuracy and aimingshake works well for me. Regular difficulty is 0.46 for everything. I've heard that in real-life combat it's like 20-30 rounds per hit on a target at range, and something like 4:1 for close quarters. I think these skill numbers fairly accurately model this reality (but I wouldn't know personally).

Yep played on elite difficulty, ai are super soldiers - but great for increasing your reflexes lol, especially scary when they are firing grenades like mortar rounds after you snipe a few off from a hidden position lol, but very immersive, to quote - "The hounds to the hunters" from red october :). On another note I suppose that is why we have artillery :).

I don't particularly dislike the AI's accuracy. After all, it's supposed to be realistic and if I can aim properly, why couldn't they? What I really don't like though is the AI shooting at you with an assault rifle from like a kilometer away and the AI seeing you through objects.

I don't particularly dislike the AI's accuracy. After all, it's supposed to be realistic and if I can aim properly, why couldn't they? What I really don't like though is the AI shooting at you with an assault rifle from like a kilometer away and the AI seeing you through objects.

Yes I think many people "think" that the ai accuracy is the problem, but the real problem is their spotting ability. I mean the ai's aim isn't that much better than a PvP'ers - its the fact the the ai can spot you well enough to actually use that aim that is the problem. I am currently trying to put together a list of all the ai's spotting/detection problems right now. They aren't as straight forward as you might think though. For example when you see an ai machine gunner shooting through a bush at enemies far away it is not because "the AI seeing you through objects" like you say but rather because another member of the squad can see the enemy and is telling that ai exactly where to shoot. Or the ai saw that enemy's stationary position before the bush was in the way and when the bush obstructed his vision he simply aimed at at the last place he knew the enemy to be, even though there is a bush in the way.

Its adjustable

Ai accuracy is not easy adjustable independent of overall skill without scripting - and that mean for missions that others have made, you will have to rip open the mission and put in the unnecessary scripts, which nobody wants to do. BIS needs to make a more accessible way of adjusting accuracy independent of skill.

For example when you see an ai machine gunner shooting through a bush at enemies far away it is not because "the AI seeing you through objects" like you say but rather because another member of the squad can see the enemy and is telling that ai exactly where to shoot. Or the ai saw that enemy's stationary position before the bush was in the way and when the bush obstructed his vision he simply aimed at at the last place he knew the enemy to be, even though there is a bush in the way.

Fair enough. I have been thinking about that as well. It's nice to see the AI attempting to blind-fire or inspect the last known location but I've had the AI shoot me through a bunch of treetops, or crowns if you will, and I'm pretty sure none of them were looking at me. Also, if the AI sees you and is alert, when you approach from a different angle there is a big chance that it will immediately start shooting at you. While a human is able to predict such things (i.e. the angles of attack) the AI seems to do it past the point of acceptable. I think.