Sign in to follow this  
PraPoredos

ARMA III & Steam WORKSHOP

After playing some 40-50 missions off the Workshop clearly the biggest issue is that no one seems to realize that ArmA has respawn. :) It's really disappointing to start a mission that has a long elaborate kit up stage, some super loud and non-needed music playing, a 5 minute AI drive to the AO then you get sniped and have to do it all over again.

Besides i am not suprised by such a statement from Armaholic wich existence is being threatened by Steam's workshop....

It's not about where it came from, but WHOM the statement came from... one of the more respected addon makers out there.

Armaholic should really revamp their UI. The search page is atrociously hard to use (I'm talking about the ridiculously small page category select box).

@Bootsy,

Don't you fucking dare! Or at least add me to your friends list!!

@Kylania,

I never use respawn in my missions because I don't play that way. What I do do though is after the "intro" and upon completing the first task (the drop off), I put in a save game. That way people can skip doing it all over again which I do admit can be tiresome after a couple of times.

And not having respawn is not an issue to me. Just because you like / want it doesn't mean that everyone does. And I am not trying to argue with you because I know what a fantastic contributor to the community you are (you have helped me on numerous occasions), I am just pointing out stuff from my point of view.

I never use respawn in my missions because I don't play that way.

Put it in and other people will salg you for lack of realism in your (free) missions or being a BF fanboy.

Respawn IMHO takes away from immersion ... auto game save is the way to go. Turning music off is another thing I do.

Edited by MissionCreep

Put it in and other people will salg you for lack of realism in your (free) missions or being a BF fanboy.

Respawn IMHO takes away from immersion ... auto game save is the way to go. Turning music off is another thing I do.

Actually I disagree with you there somewhat. Respawn, when used correctly can be very rewarding as it keeps players in the game. If communities are using respawn in the COOP games that they play then all good and dandy. It works for those communities and will continue to work.

However, I play in a community where dead means dead. If you die you wait until the next mission and this can be from 30 mins to 2 hours or more. But luckily we have a brilliant spectator cam script which means that dead players don't get bored as they can watch the action unfold before them.

@ kylania,

Try checking the unlimited save option under difficulty. Unless the mission maker overrides this option, just use unlimited saves to save your place as you progress through your mission.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did do a search and I can't find anything. Does Steam Workshop only have user made missions and not mods? Will mods ever be available on Steam Workshop?

Currently only missions; eventual mod support is intended but no ETA on that.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did do a search and I can't find anything. Does Steam Workshop only have user made missions and not mods? Will mods ever be available on Steam Workshop?

Yes for the time being it's only for missions. We don't know if there will be addons and MODs implemented in the future. I would believe so, but there are still issues with Valve license agreement which first have to be solved. Not sure though if that will ever happen.

i don't get where the problem with Six-Projects is...

to install all mods required on a server you only need to:

open the six server browser

type in the name of the server

find the server

right click on the server

click on "new preset with server"

six updater will then create preset in your preset list on the left side

you then right click on the preset

hover over "updater actions"

click on "install or update mods"

six updater will then install all mods needed for this server

then you click "join server"

you will then directly join the server.

preset and server address will be saved, so the next time, you only need to click on join server and everything is done.

steamworkshop as it works now:

find the server in the ingame server browser.

open steam workshop.

search mod 1 for the server

install mod 1

search mod 2 for the server

install mod 2

search mod 3 for the server

install mod 3... and so on. some servers use over 70 mods (in arma 2 anyways)

see that mod 37 is not up to date on the server, yet you can not get the right version, because you can only get the lated version of the mod. no custom repos.

fail at connecting.

search new server

open steam workshop

search mod 1

install mod 1...

i think you get my point.

considering there is no Steamworkshop support for mods yet, i don't get point of your post ...

it is just me presuming how it could be if i take other games with steamworkshop mod-integration as an example.

it is just me presuming how it could be if i take other games with steamworkshop mod-integration as an example.

better to adjust the assume with Arma isn't some "other game"

Would it be possible to add the ability to search for missions that have been updated for a certain version of Arma 3? Like search for missions updated to or made in the current version of Arma 3?

Why the Scenarios "downloaded" via Workshops work the way they do?

Having to check the missions everytime;

Download the missions on every new session;

Could have an easier way to unsubscribe to a mission;

Nice feature that match Arma way of doing things but these things are annoying.

Currently I can not add any tags to my new workshop mission. Is this a temporary glitch?

Any one know why when I try and download a mission from workshop it says it's been added but I can't find it in game or in folders.

I do see an old one I added a long time ago but new stuff isn't there and clicking on the blue workshop icon in game does nothing either.

Never mind I found that going through a browser fails but go through steam directly and it works.

Edited by F2k Sel

better to adjust the assume with Arma isn't some "other game"

can u explain this to me pls

also i have other question too.

can i upload my mod to steam workshop? or there is a restriction by BI studio or valve?

why ppl have problem uploading a mod to steam?, when it is made for making the core game more fun,balanced or whatever.If I dont want anybody else to use my mod I just dont even upload to anywhere, or I set password or I made it only usable for friends on steam.Or the problem here is that valve got rights?Without arma they cant do anything.They dont even need anything to own since once they see or play the game they can copy it and make another gamae if they want with source engine...

and I also saw a server where there is a restriction that i cant make video/streaming... i dont understand this...how u want to make publicity or anything...

I never saw strange things like this, only in arma, this is only made by the arma community/modders for no reason or benefit.

I've encountered a bug AFTER updating my workshop mission. It began after my 2nd update (the first update seemed to have no issues).

Subscribers receiving the update can no longer play the mission in Scenario. It is still listed there (in Scenario) but when you click PLAY nothing happens...the mission will not start at all. I found that deleting this folder fixes the issue:

C:\MyDocuments\Arma3-Other Profiles\YourGameName\Saved\steam\(duws)%20dynamic%20universal%20war%20system%20modified.altis

Re-updating/uploading the mission does not get rid of the problem. Many subscribers are not comfortable with navigating their way around files/folders and deleting things manually this way.

I've seen very similar issues as this reported some time ago to be fixed, but apparently it is not really fixed.

Any new info on this?

Edited by BigShot

can u explain this to me pls

also i have other question too.

can i upload my mod to steam workshop? or there is a restriction by BI studio or valve?

why ppl have problem uploading a mod to steam?, when it is made for making the core game more fun,balanced or whatever.If I dont want anybody else to use my mod I just dont even upload to anywhere, or I set password or I made it only usable for friends on steam.Or the problem here is that valve got rights?Without arma they cant do anything.They dont even need anything to own since once they see or play the game they can copy it and make another gamae if they want with source engine...

and I also saw a server where there is a restriction that i cant make video/streaming... i dont understand this...how u want to make publicity or anything...

I never saw strange things like this, only in arma, this is only made by the arma community/modders for no reason or benefit.

Mod downloads through Steam will most likely work at a future point in time. Valve and BI need to sort some stuff out first, as the way Arma uses mods are a bit different from other games you may know

I couldn't upload my last mission. (I uploaded missions many time before) But when I try to upload the last mission I always got a timeout error message. My mission is not bigger then other: it's 1.6MB. But I have bigger missions (1.8MB) at Workshop.

What can I do?

OK. I give up. Please help me!

I can't upload and download (subscribe) any Arma3 mission with Workshop.

I tried everything: remove appchace, restart steam, restart PC, write steam support, reinstall steam (lost all my data, savefiles, fuck you stream cloud), but couldn't solve the problem:

1. If I click to subscribe button in a mission at arma3 workshop, steam said: OK, downloaded (I saw the success at the steam's download manager) But mission still unavailable at arma and arma's steam folder is empty (err, not empty, but only the older missions are there - err after the steam reinstall, yes, it's empty).

2. If I want to upload a mission from editor, at least I got an error message (timeout), but still I can't use workshop.

What happened with my workshop and how can I fix it?

OK. I give up. Please help me!

I can't upload and download (subscribe) any Arma3 mission with Workshop.

I tried everything: remove appchace, restart steam, restart PC, write steam support, reinstall steam (lost all my data, savefiles, fuck you stream cloud), but couldn't solve the problem:

1. If I click to subscribe button in a mission at arma3 workshop, steam said: OK, downloaded (I saw the success at the steam's download manager) But mission still unavailable at arma and arma's steam folder is empty (err, not empty, but only the older missions are there - err after the steam reinstall, yes, it's empty).

2. If I want to upload a mission from editor, at least I got an error message (timeout), but still I can't use workshop.

What happened with my workshop and how can I fix it?

The Steam community servers that host the workshop tend to go down abd mess up pretty often. Just wait before trying again.