Sign in to follow this  
PraPoredos

ARMA III & Steam WORKSHOP

I think you have the wow wrong. This is a game... You are not a developer.. you are, at best, a modder... If you are here for fame and fortune you are in the wrong place. go start your own indie title and get all the attention whoring you like.. Simply put, you are making an EDIT of someone's game, not reinventing the wheel. Realize that and we can all move on to a better game play experience with expanded reach through a universally adopted file sharing source built into an engine that already supports it.

Get over yourself.

I find your post very disturbing and offensive to say at least The community is modding this game for over a decade now and kept the OFP-Arma series alive. They are doing it because they love modding and creating stuff . . . they don't get paid for it. We as a community have benefited for all these years with constant new toys to play around with . . . FOR FREE!

Please refrain in the future to post such disrespectful comments towards a fellow community member.

Thanks for your understanding.

No, it doesn't. Unless by derivative you mean using BIS content as a starting point.

Not only that, not all mods are dependent on BI tools to be created. A text editor is best modders friend.

No, it doesn't. Unless by derivative you mean using BIS content as a starting point.

It becomes derivative content when you import it into game. Source files for models and things like that are yours of course, but then the problem is that it's too easy to de-pbo content from the game. Anyone can rip the stuff out very easily :\

It becomes derivative content when you import it into game. Source files for models and things like that are yours of course, but then the problem is that it's too easy to de-pbo content from the game. Anyone can rip the stuff out very easily :\

It's not derivative if you've created something from scratch, if you'd edited/copied/modified say, a BIS sample model then yeah it would be but AFAIK BIS have always maintained that the IP for a mod remains with the creator.

As for ripping, well that's against the rules anyway.

Xendance, um no it is not. Derivative content comes from the game and is changed, like a reskin. If I make something from scratch, which most of the original content modders do, then it is original content - not derivative.

As for ripping stuff, you "can" do that, but you better no be distributing it without permission.

I think you have the wow wrong. This is a game... You are not a developer.. you are, at best, a modder... If you are here for fame and fortune you are in the wrong place. go start your own indie title and get all the attention whoring you like.. Simply put, you are making an EDIT of someone's game, not reinventing the wheel. Realize that and we can all move on to a better game play experience with expanded reach through a universally adopted file sharing source built into an engine that already supports it.

Get over yourself.

Are you serious? Modding is pretty much ArmA's selling point, I was taken into the ArmA series by the amount of mods already available and Oh yeah, what's that YOUR server is running? DayZ? Isn't that the MOD that help ArmA achieve a million more sales by reinventing the game as something competely unique and different?

Edited by JeffersPang

What have I just read... you know. Modding is probably one of the easier way to either make a name for yourself or build a porfolio. Technically, we aren't using anything BIS made in most cases because we make models from scratch (for those who actually model). I could probably throw half my models into UDK with ease, but it satisfies me more seeing them in ARMA.

Modding is for anything, dude. EDIT of someone's game? LOL, cry me a river dude. Let me guess, making anything military related on 3DS Max means I'm going to edit ARMA, right? ;)

tsk tsk, you all derailed from the thread subject ...

the point is, that SWS agreement was improved, the content makers have much stronger rights than before,

combine that with your work with qualite license protecting your included IP ...

Cue certain modders saying that none of the above is true because of that one line...

Cue certain modders saying that none of the above is true because of that one line...

As a person who doesn't give a damn who uses any of my work and in what way, I can still see where the "certain modders" are coming from. That line is the line which can make or break the case in court or wherever to the point where the concerned parties are arguing about it tooth and nail. Sure, the things Dwarden says are true, but that line is basically making the entire section into: "We are limiting ourselves by this agreement to only use these rights for operation of the Steam Workshop ... or are we?".

I find it really hypocritical to dismiss concerns of people who want to provide you addons for free which were made in their free time. Especially now when we're on the verge of the most content starved launch.

I'm not the one dismissing their concerns there, that's why I brought it up.

Policing how many missions use certain scripts is an impossible task to be honest... :/

Hi,

Is anyone else getting "Operation failed, process timed out", when they try and upload stuff to workshop? I have managed to upload 1 mission of mine but I cant upload the other that I want to. It is probably an issue on my end rather than anything to do with an error regarding the SWS and / or Arma 3 but I thought I would just ask.

Edit: Just managed to upload the mission to SWS after numerous tries.

Edited by dale0404

I think you have the wow wrong. This is a game... You are not a developer.. you are, at best, a modder... Simply put, you are making an EDIT of someone's game, not reinventing the wheel.

I am a game developer, and when I am creating art for a game I'm working on, the experience is not much different. I'm adding art to a game that exists externally of my art in both cases.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

BI states that content producers retain the copyright of their own work, limited by the tools license. This means that simply putting something in the game does not make it a derivative work for the purposes of establishing who owns the copyright.

Close game start game.. from what Ive gathered from other titles that use sws. It gets tempermental at times aka whenever the hell it feels like.

Was happening earlier this morning for me. I started alt tabbing out whilst it uploaded so I could do something else than wait for the timeout :D

Edited by Masharra

Hi,

Is anyone else getting "Operation failed, process timed out", when they try and upload stuff to workshop? I have managed to upload 1 mission of mine but I cant upload the other that I want to. It is probably an issue on my end rather than anything to do with an error regarding the SWS and / or Arma 3 but I thought I would just ask.

Edit: Just managed to upload the mission to SWS after numerous tries.

I got this, gave up in the end.

Eventually we might see full mods beign deployed on Steam like Insurgency\Zombie Panics for HL² or Mare Nostrum\Darkest Hour for RO1?

Or the very nature of Arma and combination of mods may sabotage that? And on that, what about mod management; that can be done on the Steam side of thing or only on Arma?

Guess is too early of uncertain for all of those....

This guy shows off the current state of affairs well i actualy wasnt aware it had been implemented till i saw it lol

KBGaS_c_uIE

I subscribe to about all missions and now it's take a little time to all missions load in the scenarios =(

I don`t wanna bother with d/ling ANY mission scenarios unless they are complete. Buggy WIP stuff ain`t my thing.

Still you are playing Arma for so long? :j: