Sign in to follow this  
PraPoredos

ARMA III & Steam WORKSHOP

Clueless. I spent 10 hours texturing a wheel, one single wheel, for one model. The Foxhound I'm working on is one year in the making and has only just gotten in game.

Hopefully not indicative of the upcoming generation of "modders".

In it for the quick turn-around and praise, rather than because they want to make something of quality that they are interested in...

ironic, considering that all i see from the vets are a bunch of reskins and the modders actually doing originally work are relative new comers.

btw, if it takes you 10 hours to texture one wheel, you're doing something wrong. maybe improve your workflow.

Edited by seamusgod

ironic, considering that all i see from the vets are a bunch of reskins and the modders actually doing originally work are relative new comers.

btw, if it takes you 10 hours to texture one wheel, you're doing something wrong. maybe improve your workflow.

who are you again?

Probably because the "vets" are still busy with their ongoing A2 projects. Probably those reskins are meant to get a sneak peak into A3 modding to get a idea how good compatibility is. And while the released addons for A3 from the "newbs" is surely good, it doesn't yet reach the quality level of actual A2 addons.

Please a little bit more respect to addon makers.

LOL, reskins are always the first mods to arrive, always. The other kinds of mods, take longer and the debugging/optimisation is part of the process which reskins generally are not. Also, some of the ideas currently percolating are subject to interference by the constantly changing Alpha state.

i am eager to see some stuff made by you released...doubt that will happen though

All the "veteran" addon makers are sad panda now. :(

Either way, creating something from scratch takes far longer than re-texturing existing objects, for every previous version of ARMA it's been a similar pattern, super ambitious "original" content won't happen overnight.

super ambitious "original" content won't happen overnight.

clearly your workflow is bad, and therefore you are bad at making addons, and therefore you should leave the community forever. :rolleyes:

Mr "I'm an effing new guy and I know everything" claims it to be so.

Either way, creating something from scratch takes far longer than re-texturing existing objects, for every previous version of ARMA it's been a similar pattern, super ambitious "original" content won't happen overnight.

Very true, it takes a lot of time to make anything from scratch, Arma3 isnt a full game yet. Until that it is, we won't see many mods until it is at a stable and final release, as it is now things can change.

I also hope at least the newer generation of modders, have abit more respect for vets. Otherwise i will be sad panda :(

When not even vets have respect for other vets at times... and I can't help but believe that some of the earlier acrimony re: newcomers didn't help either.

Elitism/game snobbery, should have no place in any gaming community, unfortunately it does still prevail, but those who are, tend to get recognised pretty easily and quickly.

The war gaming genre is many decades old, comes from all sorts of formats. Mod/addon/mission making is also decades old, again from many formats. This whole series is just 12yrs old, in the genre of war gaming its still very young. Many of the active members on this forum have a lot fewer yrs than that, the majority of active members on here being ‘2007/8’ or later, could be seen as babies in the genre, but that’s most likely not the case.;)

Keep that in mind when thinking someone is new, who knows who’s new or a veteran of this series or the genre as a whole.

Also, who is to say who is or isn't a talented mod/addon/mission maker...

Respect and courtesy should flow both ways..:)

So Steam Workshop integration was confirmed in the livestream today...

it's only for missions to begin with, we need to make sure this is working properly, but later we'd like to move towards things like mods, weapons, terrains, etc

:(

it was revealed you can publish from editor into STEAMworkshop and download the mission for client from steamworkshop

Edited by Dwarden

Steam Workshop = excellent news

Edited by simast

Joris also said quite emphatically that addons and missions would continue to be able to be published, distributed and installed by the current means, without Steam Workshop, if developers wish to avoid using it.

Steam Workshop is indeed amazing news for us. And the fact that the devs said they intend to eventually get all mods functioning in it is even better. Hopefully it rolls out smoothly and the transition to a complete mod download package is nice and easy. Looking forward to not having to go to places like Armaholic just to get mods for the game.

yes, this is just additional and optional feature ...

Who will remove missions which were modified and then published to Workshop if the mission licence says that even derivates may not be put onto workshop?

Edit: Or what about missions which use 3rd party scripts which may not be published via Workshop?

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Elitism/game snobbery, should have no place in any gaming community, unfortunately it does still prevail, but those who are, tend to get recognised pretty easily and quickly.

The war gaming genre is many decades old, comes from all sorts of formats. Mod/addon/mission making is also decades old, again from many formats. This whole series is just 12yrs old, in the genre of war gaming its still very young. Many of the active members on this forum have a lot fewer yrs than that, the majority of active members on here being ‘2007/8’ or later, could be seen as babies in the genre, but that’s most likely not the case.;)

Keep that in mind when thinking someone is new, who knows who’s new or a veteran of this series or the genre as a whole.

Also, who is to say who is or isn't a talented mod/addon/mission maker...

Respect and courtesy should flow both ways..:)

That last part is key. Whether it be discussion about performance, modders, addons, criticism/praise or really anything. I've seen arguments that because your post count isn't high or your join date isn't very old, somehow you're seen as less of a member or your viewpoints no matter how valid are null simply because of those facts. That's elitism at it's very core.

steam already exploits the works of others via steam works, as they publish it it seems as though they lose money as host for a free service but in addition they gain FREE content and put it in THEIR basket, if you were to host it yourself besides STEAM, THEY might come after you because YOU WAVED your IP.

they monopolize your work so you can not make a dime if it was possible.

then again they get the traffic and attention and your site and add revenue get nothing you lose on that front as the whiny whimps who can't get a mod installed want it easy on steam.

because they claim ownership which you signed away they get the traffic and thus more customers.

this also means less diversity in community website traffic and thus loss of revenue even if not monetary to the larger community.

sorry if it is all gloomy and negative, but it has to be said.

Steam WORKSHOP confirmed for ARMA III, also Friends joining.

steam already exploits the works of others via steam works, as they publish it it seems as though they lose money as host for a free service but in addition they gain FREE content and put it in THEIR basket, if you were to host it yourself besides STEAM, THEY might come after you because YOU WAVED your IP.

they monopolize your work so you can not make a dime if it was possible.

then again they get the traffic and attention and your site and add revenue get nothing you lose on that front as the whiny whimps who can't get a mod installed want it easy on steam.

because they claim ownership which you signed away they get the traffic and thus more customers.

this also means less diversity in community website traffic and thus loss of revenue even if not monetary to the larger community.

sorry if it is all gloomy and negative, but it has to be said.

I really hope this doesn't affect community sites such as armaholic. The admins of those sites put a lot of work and contribute a lot to the community. I understand that any ad revenue they get hardly covers the server costs. If traffic dramatically decreases there would be little justification for those sites to continue.

What happens if your mission requires addons that aren't on the Workshop? Don't know anything about the Workshop-does it allow links to outside sites?