Sign in to follow this  
HighXplosive

Suggestions for Streamlining, Fixing Stance Adjustment & Movement Speed Controls

Should BI implement this scheme?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should BI implement this scheme?

i have checked the key congif file, there is no command listed for stance change other than the adjust key, but we can already bind that key. if BIS were to add stance up/down to the list of keys to bind, a think all there would be no more issue. if i wanted to keep my scrollwheel for the action menu, i can use my mouse button 5 and 6. come on BIS, give us the ability to assign these actions!

Ability to change stance via the mouse wheel would be nice.

As for the "Reassign your keys" being the answer... Please show me how to bind the mouse wheel to the stance.... since it's so simple and the solution to any problems..

Totally agree its just case of changing your key bindings :)

This kind of logic is what will prevent ArmA from becoming more accessible! In my early simming days I would get a game, look at the controls (IL2 Sturmovik, for example) and it was SO OVERWHELMING that I dare not undergo the task of reassigning the controls lest I risk becoming even more overwhelmed. Very few of us have toughed it out to remain here today - die hard sim fans.

You won't lose any "core features" by consolidating controls to fewer keys in the default control scheme. You want to have 3 buttons that do the same exact thing, then YOU can reassign keys.

I've lost all faith in humanity. How can you all be so daft. Flame me, I don't care - it means nothing coming from anyone who can not see logic.

This kind of logic is what will prevent ArmA from becoming more accessible!

Judging by all new threads requesting silly features (though this thread is fine except it has one point wrong that kinda ruins the suggestion) ArmA is too accessible as it is.

I need my mouse wheel for the menu. Because it still allows me to move while in other games it's either a hugeass radial menu covering half the screen which also forces you to stop or you need to navigate through it using cursor keys which is a huge PITA.

Of course then again something like Ctrl+mousewheel for stance change and shift+mousewheel for speed can work

Edited by metalcraze

Brilliant idea ! I'd love to be able to use the mouse wheel + modifier keys for stances, speeds, action menus and perhaps even grenade throw power. OP, I'm a little unclear, however, if you're also proposing somehow using the mouse wheel for lean left/right as well? Those claiming that this scheme would remove something (what?!) or that one can simply re-assign present key bindings have clearly failed to read the post. Please take another more careful look, guys. Also, some of the key binding names in the UI really do need to be re-labeled (well written tooltip style hints would also be useful for new players).

+1,000,000!

the bottom line is, they should allow us to assign the stance up/down keys as well as the step out left/right. whats more accessible than letting player choose their own key binding? this is not a "press A to win" type of game. those who say "it's fine, just adapt to the game" are misguided... how would allowing the player to pick and choose when and how he/she performs an action and in what matter they deploy it, be a bad thing?

Judging by all new threads requesting silly features (though this thread is fine except it has one point wrong that kinda ruins the suggestion) ArmA is too accessible as it is.

I need my mouse wheel for the menu. Because it still allows me to move while in other games it's either a hugeass radial menu covering half the screen which also forces you to stop or you need to navigate through it using cursor keys which is a huge PITA.

Of course then again something like Ctrl+mousewheel for stance change and shift+mousewheel for speed can work

Brilliant idea ! I'd love to be able to use the mouse wheel + modifier keys for stances, speeds, action menus and perhaps even grenade throw power. OP, I'm a little unclear, however, if you're also proposing somehow using the mouse wheel for lean left/right as well? Those claiming that this scheme would remove something (what?!) or that one can simply re-assign present key bindings have clearly failed to read the post. Please take another more careful look, guys. Also, some of the key binding names in the UI really do need to be re-labeled (well written tooltip style hints would also be useful for new players).

Firstly thank you for truly understanding what I am talking about. In answer to your question about the mouse wheel for lean left and right - no, I am not suggesting the mouse wheel be used for those controls because that would be confusing and impractical.

I think lean left and right should remain distinct controls because it would allow the player to choose to lean left or right OR step left or right THEN lean left or right (as already exists in the game).

I do however, to add to my idea, think it would be a nice addition to allow player to lean left or right, while holding the adjustment key, by pressing strafe left and right instead of lean left and right - just another way to streamline controls slightly.

Would certainly prefer mouse wheel for stance, not sure about speed.

Yes thats my only bother with the new stance cycling too, yesterday already attempted to move the stances to the scroll wheel, but didn't work. Or maybe an option would be to keep the new sub-stances disabled untill you enable them somewhere in a menu. Especially with QCB running from cover to cover it does not help to cycle all the stances just to run 10 meters. In that situation I only need stand and normal crouch.

I was rethinking about the idea of having all stances directly accessible. I.e. we could do a "go low stand" followed by "go low prone". I think we will not get it and we onnly have the linear cycling for the same reason why we don't have a "change weapon without stop": for animation reasons. I don't know but my feeling is, BI can only do a stance change from the lowest to the highest with animating all stances in between and only while standing. Same reason why I doubt now that we'll see stance change while moving. I wish I'm wrong though.

But binding prev/next stance to scroll wheel I think is possible. And of course streamlining the key binding screen.

i will choose two stage: aiming and no aiming.

example:

high stand (aiming)

low stand (no aiming)

high crouch (aiming)

low crouch (no aiming)

high prone (aiming)

low prone (no aiming)

lean (no aiming)

plus lean (aiming)

thats reduce keys for new character animations in Arma 3

Edited by PFC Magician

Honestly, after spending an hour or so setting everything up my controls function almost exactly as you describe, with one or two differences. You really can do a lot by rebinding your keys. Remember that a modifier key, like shift, can be used for different bindings so long as they aren't applicable at the same time. Try consolidating controls that won't conflict. If you customize your controls properly you really can stream-line it significantly.

the issue isn't the modifier key [adjustment], we already know it can be rebound. the problem is the actual use of WASD for stance change, W+S for stance up/down and A+D for step out left/right. we want to be able to rebind THOSE keys. that would solve any stance change while on the move issues we are complaining about.

Honestly, after spending an hour or so setting everything up my controls function almost exactly as you describe, with one or two differences. You really can do a lot by rebinding your keys. Remember that a modifier key, like shift, can be used for different bindings so long as they aren't applicable at the same time. Try consolidating controls that won't conflict. If you customize your controls properly you really can stream-line it significantly.

I just spent an hour and a half making a Pinnacle Game Profile. You can fit all useful and relevant infantry controls on a PS3 DualShock controller. Why are we still spanning the entire keyboard by default?

If the in-game controls allowed me to assign the buttons as I wish, I wouldn't need the profiler and could assign the whole game to the gamepad except the mouse for use on the map and inventory unfortunately.

Point is, the controls can be consolidated GREATLY. No matter what you're using.

Edited by Gorbachev

This right here is pretty close to being the simplest and most succinct explanation of what we're asking for:

Dynamo;2328049']The issue isn't the modifier key [adjustment]' date=' we already know it can be rebound. the problem is the actual use of WASD for stance change, W+S for stance up/down and A+D for step out left/right. we want to be able to rebind THOSE keys. that would solve any stance change while on the move issues we are complaining about.[/quote']

Two other things to add - and these are important as well - is that we're also asking for a way to bind SCROLL WHEEL+MODIFIER KEYS together, and the inclusion of SPEED UP and SLOW DOWN commands for cycling through movement speeds. Both these things are currently not available.

Whats more accessible than letting player choose their own key binding?

Exactly. I really don't understand how anybody can be against allowing for additional control options, especially considering that this is the ARMA community which has always been about choice, customization, modability, etc.. I still believe the naysayers are simply misunderstanding what's being suggested here.

In answer to your question about the mouse wheel for lean left and right - no, I am not suggesting the mouse wheel be used for those controls because that would be confusing and impractical.

Gotcha. That's how I read it as well, but I just wanted to double-check.

I do however, to add to my idea, think it would be a nice addition to allow player to lean left or right, while holding the adjustment key, by pressing strafe left and right instead of lean left and right - just another way to streamline controls slightly.

Again, correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, but you're proposing something along the lines of (assuming we're using the standard A/D for strafe left/right) LCtrl+A/D for step left/right and LShift+A/D for lean left/right? That can already be bound at present. Another nice idea, BTW - personally, I find it a lot more intuitive than using Ctrl+A/D along with Q/E when trying to sidestep and lean.

Edited by Make Love Not War
Grammar.

if BIS could add a scroll wheel speed control, it would work well with vehicles as well. i know that in the config file there is commands for acceleration, braking, shift gear up/down, shift reverse gear/1-2 and even shit to gear 1-8. looking forward to these commands getting activated. would make driving a complete day/night change. then when driving down a steep hill, you can just drop down to a lower gear instead of just full on breaks or hand break as is now with the default controls.

Dynamo;2328049']the issue isn't the modifier key [adjustment]' date=' we already know it can be rebound. the problem is the actual use of WASD for stance change, W+S for stance up/down and A+D for step out left/right. we want to be able to rebind THOSE keys. that would solve any stance change while on the move issues we are complaining about.[/quote']

Yes. This is it.

If we only could assign scrollwheel to whatever action we will all be happy (I would be really happy if we also got "urban prone left").

This is not about changing the default sceme, it's for us who change it and this would make anything possible.

If we only could assign scrollwheel to whatever action we will all be happy (I would be really happy if we also got "urban prone left").
Supposedly urban prone left is on its way, ETA unknown.

i personally think the urban prone should be removed as a stance. it should be handled like a lean for prone. evasive left/right already works as a tactical roll, why not use lean left/right to move into the urban prone positions?

Dynamo;2329358']i personally think the urban prone should be removed as a stance. it should be handled like a lean for prone. evasive left/right already works as a tactical roll' date=' why not use lean left/right to move into the urban prone positions?[/quote']

Good idea! Quickly tapping evasive roll left/right while prone would make you go into urban prone left/right. Holding evasive roll left/right while prone would make you roll left/right.

Dynamo;2328049']the issue isn't the modifier key [adjustment]' date=' we already know it can be rebound.[/quote']

A little OT but has anyone else lost scope toggle functionality after rebounding the 'adjust key' (specifically to a mouse thumb button). The stance change work 100% but I totally lose the ability to 'hold Mse bttn #4 + RMB' to switch between CQB and scoped sights :confused:

well.. im was able to get the stance up and down to work on my scrollwheel.. it just meant i had to bind my scroll up/down to "move forward" & "move back" so if BIS could remove the stance change function from the movement keys, and have them as separate bind-able actions, we would be very happy.

I think people downvoting are misunderstanding this problem.

WE ARE NOT ASKING TO REMOVE CURRENT IMPLEMENTATION.

WE ARE ASKING TO ADD THIS IMPLEMENTATION SO YOU CAN USE EITHER ONE.

Sorry for the caps, but after reading this thread I'm convinced most of you don't understand the problem.

I would love to adjust speed and stance with the mouse wheel on the fly (with a modifier key of course, so it doesn't mess with the menus).

Since the wheel is more of an analog input, it makes sense to use it to adjust things like that.

That's exactly my point.

Edited by SnakePL

So all you're really asking for is to have a reassignable adjust key (to do the stances) and be able to bind mouse wheel to various commands.

Personally I like the way it is currently but I'm all for adding more options.

I use double tap and same keys for various functions so you don't have to find a new button for every control.

the ability to control stance via mouse wheel while holding key would be great... this way it would be more dynamic. Currently you have to stop to change stance whereas on the scroll you could keep your movement while getting to a lower stance when under fire.... to anyone who wants to argue realism, please consult a doctor if you have to come to a stop before crouching.