Sign in to follow this  
Fragmagnet

SLI Destroys PiP monitors.

If most of your PIP monitors are flashing rapidly or trying to show 2 different images at the same time. Turn off SLI.

I've seen three things happen.

With SLI on apparently all PiP frames are fed into all GPUs, making the pip have a ghost of itself slightly behind.

However sometimes. only half of the frames are fed into one of the cards. causing flashes to black.

And other times the flashes to black happen. But also. a previous PIP source is stuck there as well.

What I find odd however, is the skid mirror on the littlebird has none of these problems. Ever.

And no lowering PIP quality does not solve this problem.

Sorry if this has already been stated and noticed, but I just want go get back to playing arma 3 alpha :P

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTe0D6NbWfk

Don't think A3 is ready for SLI yet, but you could double check by searching the forums. I think somewhere some one got it working some how

SLi works pretty well in Arma3. This PiP flashing is a common problem when games use MultiGPU and PiP screens. Another example is DCS:A10, the Multifunction displays in the cockpit flicker and flash unless you disable SLI..or you can use a setting in the game for rendered displays that is called "every frame". Basically, I think to save performance with these kind of PiP displays in games, they are not rendered (or redrawn) every fame, but every other frame. You can see why this would cause a problem with multigpu/AlternateFrameRendering. The down side of rendering "Every Frame" means more performance loss. I think that nvidia will probably able to get around this by altering the Sli profile (eventually DCS:A10 was fixed in this way). Some one here ( with some patience :) ) might be able to fix it by using Nividia Inspector and testing various compatibility bits to remove the flicker and still keep the SLI performance elsewhere.

Pip can be a massive cpu hog, lowering it doesnt really solve it and only makes it look dodgy.

ultra or disabled on my system.

I'm still confused as to why the skidmirror on the little bird has no problems ever. It works 100% of the time for me even with SLI on.

Set SLI rendering mode to SPLIT FRAME RENDERING in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector.

I can hear the die hards whispering too much overhead too much overhead... But this is the only way to fix the PIP flickering.

I also seem to have figured out why the littlebird's mirror does not flicker.

It's because there's only one PiP source on it.

Same thing with the transport hunter and transport ifrit. Which means the rear cameras and the side view mirrors use the same input.

That's what I've seen at least.

If I disable PIP the monitor of the gunner seat in the big jeep with the grenades is still flickering. As FPS increases the flickering goes faster as well.

The Beta seems to have done some damage to SLI in general (the flickering has always been there JFYI).

While it is still functioning, the distribution is far from even.

In the beta both cores were at around the same percentage of use while now, the disparity can be 40-50%.

I wouldn't expect Nvidia to focus on this too much (if at all) before the game releases so it's a case of 'deal with it' or 'don't play'.

I have seen the flicker too and been bugging me since alpha was released. I agree with BangTail, the beta seems to have done some damage to SLI in general. I'll have to try what RadicalAtHeart said about using Split Frame Rendering and see if that does anything.