Sign in to follow this  
AK_Roughneck

Arma 3 Coding

It's 2013, why do I have to make a separate text document to code in an inventory for a ammo crate?

You're telling me you guys can have this extremely advanced sandbox combat system with full physics but you can't make a UI for [add crap to this crate]?

I downloaded the Alpha and tried to make my own level, couldn't figure out how to make inventories and junk, went to YouTube, saw how to do it, and rolled my eyes.

Come on, your editor sucks.

If ArmA editor sucks, go back to Battlefield's editor, or the Call of Duty editor... Oh wait :cool:

lol. From which infernal FPS/ Frenetic / No Sense /Spawn&Kill game do you come out?

Try to think everything you can think....well that is all this "Shitty" editor can do :*

Regardless of the attitude of OP, It would be nice to have a customize option for unit-gear and content for boxes in the editor instead of having to do it manually.

Maybe we should use your super fantastic editor?:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

It's 2013, why do I have to make a separate text document to code in an inventory for a ammo crate?

You're telling me you guys can have this extremely advanced sandbox combat system with full physics but you can't make a UI for [add crap to this crate]?

I downloaded the Alpha and tried to make my own level, couldn't figure out how to make inventories and junk, went to YouTube, saw how to do it, and rolled my eyes.

Come on, your editor sucks.

Another person who wants everything done for them, educate yourself in the editor, it is actually quite good :rolleyes:

Yeah complicated and crappy doesn't make something superior, if that was the case the ZUNE would have beat out the IPOD.

Instead of raging and saying "it was hard for us and we liked it!" maybe you should stop and realize the editor is half an editor because most of the stuff needs to be done outside in a text document. StarCraft 2 has a more advanced editor than this game does. There's no real excuse, it's annoying, and it's frustrating. I'm just confused on how we're on ARMA 3 and the editor still isn't finished.

Yeah complicated and crappy doesn't make something superior, if that was the case the ZUNE would have beat out the IPOD.

Instead of raging and saying "it was hard for us and we liked it!" maybe you should stop and realize the editor is half an editor because most of the stuff needs to be done outside in a text document. StarCraft 2 has a more advanced editor than this game does. There's no real excuse, it's annoying, and it's frustrating. I'm just confused on how we're on ARMA 3 and the editor still isn't finished.

Well it isn't.

If you haven't noticed, this is the Alpha Test

Actually you will be doing most of your work outside the game editor, where you will be compiling this and that... There is not much need for a fancy GUI thing that would hardly ever be used.... To put some fruit in a basket is like a once in a while ordeal...

But if you want it so bad... Start modding..

The editor is more for placement and tinkering

Are you serious? in StarCraft 2 can you spawn a randomly number of AI in a random position of a random zone in the map? and can you do the same for objective? and can you structure a mission that you can continue when you want, creating a FOBs or just doing a patrol or a randomly given mission, as like the MSO do? Do you really know what are you talking about?

Or you're just complaining yourself because it's so hard take a script, that auto-fill-crates, on armaholic? Or maybe it's so difficult write 20 same line in a "txt"?

Do you want a dialog in the editor? CREATE IT! it will very helpfully for the community with your immense knowledge and blablabla because SC2's editor with conquer the world with his big semplicity of doing simple thing known as "nothing" for ArmA scripter/modder.

I've see some video after your reply: that editor its limited...ours isn't it.

LOL, well it took me years to fully grasp but in fact, you can really do anything from inside the editor if you want to. It's just a matter of learning the syntax and how all the different things like triggers, waypoints, game logics, namespaces, etc work in the engine.

It just happens to be every bit as complicated as learning any other mature, commercialized programming environment. Which it is :P

You want everything done for you with big shiny GUI buttons? You must be from the Apple community ;)

programming is not for you. Whether you like it or not games are built on scripts and that requires knowing the language. No game editor will be purely gui driven, just like no programming IDE is purely gui driven. Just dont bother touching the editor for a while. Maybe when you have a cooler head you might try to learn somethings from it.

I like how everyone keeps calling me a troll... then proceeding to troll me.

I'm a person, I have an opinion. You guys have had a crappy GUI editor for so long you think that's as good as it can get.

It's garbage, you probably won't change it, you obviously don't care. But you accepting something doesn't make it great.

I've never seen such hard fanboy-ing, nerd-raging, and trolling from a community since World of Warcraft.

Follow of course by a "look online we have a great helpful community in Arma!" Now lets lose our damn minds because your opinion is different from ours!

Great community. *rolls eyes*

Your criticisms are correct, the editor is not very n00b friendly - but calling it crap for that is possibly a step too far. Other users have created fantastic things with it, and no doubt will continue to do so.

If you're unable to use the editor then either learn how to do it, don't use it, or offer polite constructive criticism in the appropriate areas - not just a butthurt fuelled rage in a general forum.

I wasn't trying to have a butt hurt fueled rage I use the term crap off handedly to describe anything, my car is crap, that stop light is crap.

Yes it's frustrating to want to make something and have it unnecessarily complicated. But honestly I'm more disappointed at the company for pushing something from Arma 1, Arma 2, and now Arma 3 that hasn't made any substantial improvements.

But if people don't appreciate me 'trolling' then why do they flood an entire page of "you suck this editor is OMG awesomesauce I <3 Arma 3! I hope you die slowly."

Who knows why people do what they do. The fact remains that the series has shown a constant improvement in usability just as you describe. Not only that, but the modding community has created DOZENS of FANTASTIC tools for editing game content.

You also have to realize at some point that this is a civilian product derived from a professional military product. They will not spoon feed everything to you; it would be arguably in bad taste to do so.

And the community seems as user-friendly as the game, you get back what you put in. The more you learn about it, the simpler it will all seem, and you will see that any layer of superficial simplicity would strip vast amounts of potential.

I thought same thing actually, pretty rudimentary feature really? What would it take? 1 guy a day to add something basic? 2 days at most? It'd save countless people countless hours.

Look I really like Arma, but in my mind it's like this.

I can code an awesome GUI in DOS after spending months of my life learning crap, and coding, and making it work.

Or I could just use Windows.

The mentality of Arma players is the same as Linux users- it's hard as crap to do anything therefore it's better, we're smarter for using Linux because it's a freakin' mess.

Now he's insulting linux users, quick, grab the spears! :cool:

Don't make missions, just play other peoples. Then there will be no need drag out long boring discussions about what's good and what's bad:rolleyes:

Dear AK_Roughneck,

While I understand your frustration please let me remind you that not long ago, there was a confirmation from a Developer that the Editor in Arma 3 will have a UI option to change a unit/crate loadout, be patient since we are still in Alpha.

_neo_

Look I really like Arma, but in my mind it's like this.

I can code an awesome GUI in DOS after spending months of my life learning crap, and coding, and making it work.

Or I could just use Windows.

The mentality of Arma players is the same as Linux users- it's hard as crap to do anything therefore it's better, we're smarter for using Linux because it's a freakin' mess.

code one for ArmA, I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it:)

If that's how you perceive Linux users, and Arma players, then I'm sorry.

We like Arma because it has a much greater POTENTIAL than anything else.

Linux is the same way. I love windows, and use it all day long. But the open source community collectively lifts the computer world to enlightenment and serves as a humanistic beacon in a capitalist society on overdrive.

Arma is like that to COD. Kids get a choice to grow up either to be computer scientists, or as neurotic antisocial (in the clinical sense of the word) ticking time bombs.

I mean, you can call the editor needlessly complicated if you like, but the fact is it was not designed for you. CoD probably was.