Sign in to follow this  
grandstack

Separate options for DOF, Blur and Glare, Ambient Occlusion ?

Post Processing?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Post Processing?

• Turn it on (I have it on)
    • Turn it off (I have it off)
    • Wish it had Custom setting [url]http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148701&viewfull=1#post2326227[/url]

I'd turn it on but motion blur is a no go for me. What a shame.

I really can't understand why BIS hasn't separated the motion blur from the other PP effects. Everybody's been complaining about it since ARMA 2 release.

The motion blur in this game is so slight it doesn't bother me and I HATE motion blur in games. I have my setting on low since it adds that extra layer of lighting that i feel necessary and without the performance loss

I want to use it because I love the soft blue glare and reflection emitted from the sky to the ocean, it makes the scene brighter and more vibrant, perfect to enjoy a nice stroll across the beach while listening to some relaxing music such as ocean waves or tropical style. Unfortunately the blur gets in my way : ( The moving of the head itself isn't what irks me as much as moving in general can cause a wavey effect, for example driving in a ifrit and seeing the thing in front of the windshield going all fuzzy with the turns is grrr.

There's a "No Blur" addon on Armaholic, it kills the blur while retaining post-processing effects. But some servers don't allow it unfortunately.

less of a performance thing, just more of personal taste. Don't like the blur effect on everything, loses the crisp lines on thr edge of building. Makes AA seem worthless.

setting it on very high, kills my performance with 670gtx, and doesn't look necessary better, then normal setting, which doesn't kill the performance for me.

All settings on and set to the highest quality for myself.

Current build of Arma 3 Alpha is well balanced and looks very nice with everything on and at max.

Troubletcat > Look into grabbing a NO BLUR mod, no need for it to be added by devs.

What's wrong with the motion blur? I find the motion blur and head bob in Arma 3 Alpha superior to what was offered in Arma 2 and choose to leave them on at the highest settings. *PP on max, headbob stays at default* Obviously If you get really low frames I could see motion blur being an issue as the amount of blur seen directly reflects your fps. Anything decent fps (30+) and the game flows really nicely with it on.

Troubletcat > Look into grabbing a NO BLUR mod, no need for it to be added by devs.

What's wrong with the motion blur? I find the motion blur and head bob in Arma 3 Alpha superior to what was offered in Arma 2 and choose to leave them on at the highest settings. *PP on max, headbob stays at default* Obviously If you get really low frames I could see motion blur being an issue as the amount of blur seen directly reflects your fps. Anything decent fps (30+) and the game flows really nicely with it on.

Well...

There's a "No Blur" addon on Armaholic, it kills the blur while retaining post-processing effects. But some servers don't allow it unfortunately.
Motion blur looks like crap and makes me sick.

If you think it looks good that's fine, but Motion Blur mostly there to hide low FPS. It used to be something only common on cross-platform titles. Then there are effects like DoF that look fantastic for taking screen shots but add little to the experience and can actually hinder you while playing.

It's mostly personal preference, and the majority prefer being able to turn it off. The options should never be done this way in the first place unless you think your users are too simple to set up their graphics options on their own. Sure, that's why a lot of titles don't let you customize your options as much as they used to, but Arma isn't shooting for the lowest common denominator like those other games. :)

I turn it to low just for screenshots (the new bloom looks kinda cool). But other than that - blur and DOF are extremely annoying effects so off.

Why BIS won't ditch them and leave only the ambient occlusion is beyond me.

It looks pretty nice, but i don't like how the iron sight gets blurred over :(

Then use Very Low. All of that nice PP effects with no DOF!

It just sucks that SSAO, Bloom, DOF and motion blur aren't separated options!

Should have the ability to turn off Motion Blur separately from other effects. Why even model something that doesn't exist in real life?

I have it off or very low because I don't like the blur at the edges. I wish I'd also not like AA or HQ textures ;)

I have it set to Low, I have noticed during testing that the next step up and beyond massivly increases the workload on my GPUs to the point they will eventually overheat my CPU thanks to it being in the same cooling loop.

I do have an additional radiator to fit still and this should cure the problem, it will remain on low however as I am not a big fan of AO or Bloom or most of the blurry shit.

I have it set to Low, I have noticed during testing that the next step up and beyond massivly increases the workload on my GPUs to the point they will eventually overheat my CPU thanks to it being in the same cooling loop.

I do have an additional radiator to fit still and this should cure the problem, it will remain on low however as I am not a big fan of AO or Bloom or most of the blurry shit.

Thaaaaat's SSAO for ya. I love bloom though, at least the wash out bloom of A3.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Should have the ability to turn off Motion Blur separately from other effects. Why even model something that doesn't exist in real life?

Motion blur does exist in real life, but I hate it in video games too. There's already a mod to disable it (thank god), get on armaholic and nab it.

So basically Post Processing is a mix of DOF and Blur ? Nothing more ?

the thing is, it's part of the intended low blood effect. for that reason, I feel like it's cheating (a harsh word, I know) to have it completely off

Very low or low give the best results

This, I set on low and scenery looks better IMO.

So basically Post Processing is a mix of DOF and Blur ? Nothing more ?

I believe it also includes AO, might be more I don't know about since I basically cycled through the options once and then turned it off.

Off until/if they add the ability to separate which effects you use. Blur is terrible, bloom isn't so bad.

merged multiple threads, updated the poll, you can unvote your vote and change your vote (works with any non-closed poll)

Am i the only one who think you shouldn't be able to turn off an option if it's going to dramatically change how you see the world?

People will turn off anything they can to see other players more easily, just offer "extremely low" settings, why should graphical settings be a matter of taste?

After all you do not see an option in the dark project games to disable shadows :)