Sign in to follow this  
Lucso

Concerns regarding ArmA III overall feel.

ArmA 2 is just a cumbersome, janky game with the most stiff controls ever and the negative mouse acceleration was murder.

ArmA 3 actually makes it a military simulator with the stance adjust, snappy mouse movement and proper CQB out of the box.

ArmA 3 with ACE however is going to be on a completely different level!

This, hopefully.

I simply can't understand the notion that ArmA 3's movement is unrealistic, or how people could think that. Sure it's a stark change from ArmA 2, but real human beings do not move like characters in ArmA 2 do. They tend to have an immensely higher level of control over their own bodies - Like in ArmA 3, funnily enough.

I know it's sacrilegious to mention Battlefield around here but have any of you guys played Project Reality mod for BF2? You can have a tactical experience while not needing to turn it into Man Simulator 2.0

Battlefield 2 has no body awareness at all though. It's just a floating camera like in most shooters.

OP I think you have something in some of what you say.

Of course with every ‘community’ you get the idiots who think, because you haven’t been on the forum here for long, you have never tried or played the series or any games within the series. Their views therefore could be ignored, serious players of the game want it to be the best it can, for that you need an intelligent debate.

A3 does not feel as good as A2 at present, for me, that’s not to say things won’t change, they will, but your right for airing your views.

It is different, its aimed a little toward mainstream, I think. Fast unrealistic movements ( got to be tweaked yet) coupled with the vehicle handling/sounds are console’ish. Stances are SMK, yes but some of these are in A2 anyway, have been for a while now, they’re good, lite version is handy. There are many mod/addons in A2 that make it a different game to the standard BIS release, thats good, makes it appeal to more players, those who want slight variations or large variations to gameplay, its all there if you look. That of course will probably happen for A3, but its yet to be seen, early days. BIS will, I think, want to keep appealing to new players, so the game may change from previous versions greatly, in some respects, but that’s probably inevitable.

BIS have to appeal to new players, which obviously by the popularity of this Arma 3 forum, its doing. That’s a good thing, maybe bring in new modders, ideas etc, who knows.

However, by doing that you upset the balance, where some forum members are concerned, the game will and always has been discussed both good and bad by the group I play in, views vary, but that makes for a good debate.

Keep any ideas or thoughts you have coming, ignore the ones, well you know..;)

I know it's sacrilegious to mention Battlefield around here but have any of you guys played Project Reality mod for BF2? You can have a tactical experience while not needing to turn it into Man Simulator 2.0

A tactical experience of a floating camera with no body awareness, dynamics or inertia/momentum? No thanks, I've played enough of Quake & Counter-Strike back in 1999 to last me a life time.

Like I said, most of these illusions fit under "Hello, been living under a rock, so here's how it should be."

Hey, don't worry - if ACE 3 is ever going to "FIX" it, it will FIX it not in the direction of any BF2/3 PR iterations. Refer to ACE 2 @ ArmA II.

I can finally play the game immersed like a human being. Not a "tar-man :) I've currently immersed myself into a 6 hour session of A3, and i can't say that i share your views OP.

Yes, i am a human being myself, so i have experienced that moving around isn't anything like ArmA 2's movement. Even if someone would find it better.

To each his own!

Also, OP.

Severals devs have announced changes to movement, animations and speed. So yes, we're still in the Alpha, and changes are being made. You're here to test and give feedback (http://feedback.arma3.com), this is not a DEMO. Everything is WIP.

Edited by Winfernal

Pretty sure A3 ACE will nerf the strafe speed while in optics and similar because thats something you cant rally do in real life that well, but otherwise the combat feel is much better for a computer game. The problem in A2 was that combat was to unnatural hard in some spots because of movement limits you would not have in real life.

Before I start I want to state that I know the meaning of Alpha, and that nothing so far is final.

I love ArmA II(2), it is seriously the best game I have ever playied. Unlike most games out there, it is a game that traded smootheness and speed for the real impotant thing: immersion.

It feels real because thats what it aims for. Now ArmA III is closer to its release and I couldnt be more excited. So I bought the alpha right away and played it.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere. It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game. Please dont loose the simulation and immersion of ArmA it would make it just another Fps out there.

Mmm i kinda understand your point and im also a fan of the arma for it's realism, but clunky movement/animation doesn't necessarily means realism neither does a washed out color palette but i guess to each their own.

Best thing i can recommend is stick around and give feedback.

The current problem I have with ArmA3 realism is that when you set headbob to 0 it's literally floating camera. Meaning that you can be sprinting like mad but it will look like you are just flying through the air.

Since this is not server-enforced setting it pretty much gives anyone with 0 headbob a complete unfair advantage over people that use it. You shouldn't be able to see clearly 2 kms away while sprinting (that means you can easily spot enemies far while sprinting). No matter if human eye compensates for that in reality - your perception of far things still lowers a lot when you run. ArmA2 had the lower limit for this.

That and bugs in my sig.

And in a way BIS opened the gates of hell by making it too smooth to play. You can see all those 2013 members going like "I want to be a specop, knifing my enemies, bunnyhopping from roof to roof, no recoil effects, having a 3rd hand carrying my compass while I aim and shoot BF3 DID IT RIGHT etc"

Edited by metalcraze

Pretty sure A3 ACE will nerf the strafe speed while in optics and similar because thats something you cant rally do in real life that well, but otherwise the combat feel is much better for a computer game. The problem in A2 was that combat was to unnatural hard in some spots because of movement limits you would not have in real life.

this an alpha, the whole point is to provide feedback and suggestions. so why do you rely on "leave all the fixes to ace" solution?

there needs to be a facepalm smiley.

Everything is much smoother which is better but It's just a little too quick. they need to be slowed down just a tad, I'm talking 2%. Transitioning stances and the tactical pace, things of that nature just need a touch of oldschool Arma to give it a more realistic feel.

In real life your tired, your hungry, your pissed off at being in whatever shitty situation your in, you have a ton of gear on you, and you have physical bumps and bruises (you never fight at 100%). Taking these things into account movement is difficult, changing position and moving fluidly is difficult.

I don't understand why a lot of players think that the overall feel of movement, as well as movement speed is unrealistic. Have any of you actually stood up, pretended to hold a weapon, and move around? I can assure you that it is indeed possible to move that quickly in real life.

I'm an infantry soldier in the Canadian Forces, and trust me, Arma 3 feels a hell of a lot more realistic than Arma 2. Speed and aggression is one thing I found lacking from the Arma series, and so far Arma 3 has adopted it to some degree to satisfy my need for aggressively and quickly engaging targets on the move. Just because you can move quickly and shoot from the shoulder doesn't make it unrealistic. Its entirely possible to move and shoot with good accuracy; obviously there are variables that alter performance, such as terrain, gear, stamina, etc.

@Mac - I know exactly what your talking about, in terms of being in a shitty situation, having gear on, tired, exhausted. But when the action picks up, and you get into a firefight, your adrenaline takes over and you're able to perform at a level you never thought possible. I've seen people with serious injuries, (two broken feet) out perform the average person in combat exercises.

"Mind over matter" - Never fully understood that saying until I joined the Army.

Maybe others that have a military or law enforcement background can offer their insight in regards to this topic.

Edited by PepperBelly01

Strange, I bought Arma and Arma2/OA off of Steam.

Me too, I don't see why people have problems with this. Steam is an absolutely wonderful platform, it used to be a pain in the arse to use back in the day and barely ever worked - now however, I think it's one of the best things that have happened to the gaming industry.

BIS made the right decision about making it Steam Exclusive, it will only do them good. :)

OP I think you have something in some of what you say.

Of course with every ‘community’ you get the idiots who think, because you haven’t been on the forum here for long, you have never tried or played the series or any games within the series. Their views therefore could be ignored, serious players of the game want it to be the best it can, for that you need an intelligent debate.

^this.

I don't understand why a lot of players think that the overall feel of movement, as well as movement speed is unrealistic. Have any of you actually stood up, pretended to hold a weapon, and move around? I can assure you that it is indeed possible to move that quickly in real life.

I'm an infantry soldier in the Canadian Forces, and trust me, Arma 3 feels a hell of a lot more realistic than Arma 2. Speed and aggression is one thing I found lacking from the Arma series, and so far Arma 3 has adopted it to some degree to satisfy my need for aggressively and quickly engaging targets on the move. Just because you can move quickly and shoot from the shoulder doesn't make it unrealistic. Its entirely possible to move and shoot with good accuracy; obviously there are variables that alter performance, such as terrain, gear, stamina, etc.

@Mac - I know exactly what your talking about, in terms of being in a shitty situation, having gear on, tired, exhausted. But when the action picks up, and you get into a firefight, your adrenaline takes over and you're able to perform at a level you never thought possible. I've seen people with serious injuries, (two broken feet) out perform the average person in combat exercises.

"Mind over matter" - Never fully understood that saying until I joined the Army.

Maybe others that have a military or law enforcement background can offer their insight in regards to this topic.

I appreciate feedback from people with experience in the army.

Even if some people enjoyed the sluggish gameplay of ArmA 2, the third is an improvement in the realism area (even in alpha with placeholders, unfinished/unreleased features). And this is what we should strive for in an mil-sim. Negative mouce acceleration isn't something i want back.

And in a way BIS opened the gates of hell by making it too smooth to play. You can see all those 2013 members going like "I want to be a specop, knifing my enemies, bunnyhopping from roof to roof, no recoil effects, having a 3rd hand carrying my compass while I aim and shoot BF3 DID IT RIGHT etc"

Yes, but it will fade off as the newbies are getting into the game. (Or fading off). This is also why sandbox games are good, with modders. Gameplay for everyone.

Edited by Winfernal

The OP is fascinating.

Last thing I expected was for someone to dislike the removal/decrease of clunkyness that the other ArmA games had.

But I guess conservatism within the gaming world ain't a new thing

I want to knife my enemies.

To be Fair some kind of sentry killing move would be cool and i've been playing these games since OFP. :)

But on another point I'd like to see the OPFOR troops with a new helmet and none of those Scfi Gloves, Neck Braces, and aircondioning units.

and with how stupid the arma 3 AI is at close range you could knife hundreds of them

If you were right this site would be up in flames and BI developers wanted dead or alive...

You have nothing to worry about.

Yes I agree that if you found yourself moving around in a septic tank all your life you'll find ArmA 2 realistic and ArmA 3 arcady and quake-esque.

(But in reality ArmA 3 is far more immersive than ArmA 2 ever was, thanks to the improved movement system that actually allow move when and how you want to.)

Yes agreed immersive for sure more than any game I have seen.

Before I start I want to state that I know the meaning of Alpha, and that nothing so far is final.

I love ArmA II(2), it is seriously the best game I have ever playied. Unlike most games out there, it is a game that traded smootheness and speed for the real impotant thing: immersion.

It feels real because thats what it aims for. Now ArmA III is closer to its release and I couldnt be more excited. So I bought the alpha right away and played it.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere. It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game. Please dont loose the simulation and immersion of ArmA it would make it just another Fps out there.

I love the new fast & smooth movements. Played more than 1000h in ArmA2, and i wont step back to the old system. It's way better in cqb but more, it open the game to a lot of friends interested in the game but who where unable to adapt at the ArmA2 movements. Bf3 players who want to get serious can adapt to ArmA3 because it's smooth, have nice graphics and run pretty fine for an alpha and it's a good thing.

There is no trade here. The world seems to be coherent, i still die in one bullet most of the time, i still feel the need to be in a squad instead of alone in order to complete obj but this time, some "less dedicated friends" (aka non-hardcore arma2 fan) can play with me and enjoy the game. They get killed a lot, they're a bit lost but they already enjoy the game.

They already start to change and stop shooting at the first thing they see (because they die and get all the squad killed), in a few weeks they'll be able to join a random coop mission and nothing will tell they're "bf3 players". Smooth game and nice graphics get more players, game core make them change.

Edited by Blaaarg

The movement needs to be tweaked as it is too fast.

In general, Arma 3 is a HUGE step forwards.

I am more excited than I have ever been before for the future of the Arma series!

:D

The movement needs to be tweaked as it is too fast.

In general, Arma 3 is a HUGE step forwards.

I am more excited than I have ever been before for the future of the Arma series!

:D

This.

The only problem I see is that movement speed is too fast. Overall it feels smoother and more streamlined, One of my biggest gripes with the past games.

I find the sound and futuristic setting make it less immersive than arma 2 with mods. Movement is also too fast and the effects of fatigue seem minimal/last a very short time compared to arma 2 with mods. Overall, I still prefer the arma 3 alpha over arma 2, mods or not.

I love Arma 3 more than Arma 2:

-better body moviment

-better gear

-editor bugs fixed

-graphics stunning

-good sound

- save mode it's ok on mp

- physx

best regards

Enviado de meu MZ604 usando o Tapatalk 2