Sign in to follow this  
Lucso

Concerns regarding ArmA III overall feel.

Before I start I want to state that I know the meaning of Alpha, and that nothing so far is final.

I love ArmA II(2), it is seriously the best game I have ever playied. Unlike most games out there, it is a game that traded smootheness and speed for the real impotant thing: immersion.

It feels real because thats what it aims for. Now ArmA III is closer to its release and I couldnt be more excited. So I bought the alpha right away and played it.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere. It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game. Please dont loose the simulation and immersion of ArmA it would make it just another Fps out there.

Edited by Lucso

Before I start I want to state that I know the meaning of Alpha, and that nothing so far is final.

I love ArmA II(2), it is seriously the best game I have ever playied. Unlike most games out there, it is a game that traded smootheness and speed for the real impotant thing: immersion.

It feels real because thats what it aims for. Now ArmA III is closer to its release and I couldnt be more excited. So I bought the alpha right away and played it.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, lack of precision while controlling the character(slower walking foward), unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere. It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game. Please dont loose the simulation and immersion of ArmA it would make it just another Fps out there.

I completely disagree.

Yes I agree that if you found yourself moving around in a septic tank all your life you'll find ArmA 2 realistic and ArmA 3 arcady and quake-esque.

(But in reality ArmA 3 is far more immersive than ArmA 2 ever was, thanks to the improved movement system that actually allow move when and how you want to.)

But in reality ArmA 3 is far more immersive than ArmA 2 ever was...

Nope.

Maybe it will surpass it some day, after release when the modding community has had the time to really dig into it. But as it stands, a modded A2 is still leaps and bounds above A3 in respect to immersion.

I

M

O

You and I have not played the same game.

Arma 3 finally allows for human movement, not brick movement. Guns feel physical, not plastic. And tracers are only in guns that need them.

This is a senseless worry.

It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game.

I could have told you that, as soon as steam *cough* was brought into the equation... Oh wait...

ArmA 3 is what the community has been asking begging for.

So I bought the alpha right away and played it.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere.

Bullshit.

Play a solo infiltration mission with NVGs, 1st person view only, crosshair off & tell me it isn't ArmA/OFP.

unrealistic color corrected visuals

You must still have those brown-stained glasses back from ArmA II days. A3A has the most realistic colour palette in the Series.

Perhaps you haven't been to the Mediterranean? I'm sitting here, watching ArmA III views outside my window - looks like Stratis.

tracer bullets everywhere.

There are far less tracers in A3A than there were in ArmA II in my experience. Tracer rounds have separate magazines, just as in the prev series.

In summation, your fake nostalgia is fluff.

The Alpha in terms of player movements & stance system I'm impressed. Also enjoyed being able to sprint in nearly every stance. However falling onto different ledges/surfaces presents challenges that I haven't seen even in Arma II. It seems odd that your player can adapt to the ground in different stances while sprinting over terrain flawlessly, yet traversing from one elevated surface to another is a major problem.

You and I have not played the same game.

Arma 3 finally allows for human movement, not brick movement. Guns feel physical, not plastic. And tracers are only in guns that need them.

QFT. Guy has been living under a rock.

I don't even remember him from the anti-PhysX thread... Oh, wait - only 3 posts, carry on, Lucso the Founder Father of OFP. Another one.

You know what i agree with op, all these movements add more faff to the game, it does not feel 'arma' too me cant put my finger on it, im not getting that immersive feeling like in ao.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

What has post count got to do with anything. Grow up.

Edited by Placebo

Yes, it isn't ArmA II B-class game anymore, it's an AA title - and we're still in Alpha.

Never thought I'd see the day with people preferring ArmA II clunkyness to SMK.

But the same was with PhysX, wasn't it? And Steam, yes?

Grow up indeed.

I love ArmA II(2)

Thanks for letting me know that you meant ArmA 2 and not ArmA 2, almost got it wrong there!

OT: ArmA 2 as-is lacks immersion, the modding community fixed this through the introduction of ACE which not only made it more realistic but also more fun, like the new wounding system it introduced. Things like that make the game immersive.

ArmA 2 as-is has some of the worst weapon characteristics I've ever seen in any game, as bad as Planetside 2 if not even worse. No weapon felt like it had any recoil and the sound effects were just utter crap. Mods fixed this(JSRS = God).

I'm fairly sure it will be the same for ArmA 3 even though they've improved a lot compared to ArmA 2, sound effects are for example much better but still rather lackluster.

The only thing I think makes ArmA 3 arcadey is that some of the stances feel way too fast, like you move way too fast while in tactical/combat stance. It just doesn't feel good.

As for weightlessness I asume you mean the vehicles and how they fly through the sky, this is typical ArmA 2 behaviour and most likely because they have not fully implemented PhysX for vehicles yet. It remains to see.

If you thought ArmA 2 was realistic as-is and don't think ArmA 3 is, you must've been brainwashed or something - 'cause ArmA 3 is way ahead of ArmA 2 even while in Alpha. I can't wait to see what the Beta will be like.

Dealman, good point on vanilla ArmA II being hollow. I couldn't come to play vanilla after trying out ACE2 months (or was it a year?) after release in 2009.

ArmA III Alpha on the other hand - I can see myself playing without mods, since a lot of features that we all need/want are there by default. Well, maybe except for bi-/tripods. :D

In a way, I have to agree. It feels off. I realise that perhaps I need to adjust but something feels off, thankfully this is an alpha and things can only (hopefully) improve.

I must say I dont feel the same tension/ immersion/w.e with this than I do with Ccd8pvn.png

Sure maybe it beats vanilla arma 2 ( i dont even remember what that is like anymore) but it sure doesnt beat modded arma 2.

My god. Arma 3 alpha comes out people start saying arma 2 was the worst piece of trash on earth.

It felt unfinished but that i was expecting being an alpha, but more than that it felt like a different game, from a different series of games. Everything I loved about ArmA II seems to have been traded for fast unreal movements, weightlessness, increased pace in all directions, unrealistic color corrected visuals, tracer bullets everywhere. It honestly feels like ArmAIII is steping down to games such as BF3, MW, smoothing everything and loosing its care for fine realistic details in the overall feel of the game. Please dont loose the simulation and immersion of ArmA it would make it just another Fps out there.

While I dont like the limitless mousespeed either you have to realise that there never really was a limit to aim speed, it was just mouse acceleration. Even with a .50 you could shoot lots of targets quickly while standing.

Ideally I'd have a system similar to the old rainbow 6 titles where the view is fast but it takes some time for the weapon to get on target if it's a heavier rifle. would make pistols useful too.

Yep...

Hang him high!!! He wants to discuss his concerns with the famous ArmA community.

Everyone who loved ArmA series deserves to be sceptic until the finished product imo

My biggest gripe for infantry controls at present is the clunkiness of shifting between stances. It does detract from the immersion when you have to fiddle with too many key presses to assume certain stances. I don't like shifting to a 3rd person view ever but I feel I have to at times to work out what stance I am currently in.

Other then that it seems like a modified Arma2.

I could have told you that, as soon as steam *cough* was brought into the equation... Oh wait...

Strange, I bought Arma and Arma2/OA off of Steam.

ArmA 2 is just a cumbersome, janky game with the most stiff controls ever and the negative mouse acceleration was murder.

ArmA 3 actually makes it a military simulator with the stance adjust, snappy mouse movement and proper CQB out of the box.

ArmA 3 with ACE however is going to be on a completely different level!

I really like the new movements so far, a vast improvement over previous ArmA games. It needs some fixes though, for instance how the combat pace toggle sometimes stay on whatever you do or reset itself for whatever reason, or how often you sprint with your head down but the game suddenly decides you're fully standing. There are also the adjusted prone and low kneeling positions which are nice but utterly useless while using cover on your right. Moreover I think too movements are a bit too fast, they should put more stamina and weight into the equation depending on what you're carrying ect... Nonetheless I'm very impressed by ArmaIII Alpha so far, only downsides are the constant crashes and that futuristic theme which doesn't quite suit me.

My biggest gripe for infantry controls at present is the clunkiness of shifting between stances. It does detract from the immersion when you have to fiddle with too many key presses to assume certain stances. I don't like shifting to a 3rd person view ever but I feel I have to at times to work out what stance I am currently in.

Maybe you should try to remap your keys binded to movements? I only use 5 personnaly. shift to "turbo", ctrl to "adjust", w to "prone", x to "crouch", c to "combat pace toggle", ctrl+x to "stand up" and ctrl+c to "walk or run toggle". As for your other complaint, it's been suggested to add a stance indicator to the HUD on this topic.

Edited by dunedain

I quite like the overall feel. The infantry controls are great. yes takes sometime to get used to and it may be counter intuitive, but thats why you have the option to rebind. I've been using the seated position alot for long range engagements, its a great addition. having a variety of stances has been a godsend imo.

Still feels too much like "robotic" Arma II movement to me, it's a little better but falls short of other popular shooters that offer a more fluid experience overall. The extra stances aren't needed, more streamlining of the controls and UI is what they should be focusing on. The combat pace should stay but the rest should go, it's just fluff.

I would be over the top impressed if they added the ability to steady or mount your weapon to a surface; window, hood of a car, short stub wall - without needing to press or hold a key beyond a simple right click.

Edited by Dangerdog

falls short of other popular shooters that offer a more fluid experience overall.

I don't think anyone is aiming to get that kind of fluidity to the point that the brain starts leaking out of the left ear.

The extra stances aren't needed, more streamlining of the controls and UI is what they should be focusing on.

They were "unorthodox"... in the first hour of trying out the Alpha, now I can't live without the sniper sit, which elevates your FOV & weapon sights above grass height, and low & high crouch, which is mandatory behind standard-sized ArmA II boxes/fences/walls/irregular rocks.

I would be over the top impressed if they added the ability to steady or mount your weapon to a surface; window, hood of a car, short stub wall - without needing to press or hold a key beyond a simple right click.

That's in ACE2 in ArmA II - Done with Shift+Space, no one said we wouldn't get something similar here.

I don't think anyone is aiming to get that kind of fluidity to the point that the brain starts leaking out of the left ear.

I know it's sacrilegious to mention Battlefield around here but have any of you guys played Project Reality mod for BF2? You can have a tactical experience while not needing to turn it into Man Simulator 2.0